PDA

View Full Version : Which diaper bag for cloth? (Yoohoo, Mariana!)

kristenk
07-20-2005, 09:41 PM
I know that this might be a little off-topic, but it really does relate to cloth diapers! :) I'm sorry for the ramble that follows, but I started typing and couldn't edit myself all that well.

It's time for me to get a new diaper bag. I have a Lands End do-it-all bag which is mainly used for travel and will soon live in my car's trunk with misc. DD supplies. I was using a Kecci shanghai mommybag until the zipper broke for the second time and I just got annoyed with it b/c of that. I really liked the backpack option, but very rarely used it as a backpack. The backpack was nice, however, because I didn't have to worry about bonking DD in the head with a diaper bag when I bent down. Lately, I've been using the babystyle undiaper bag that I received as a gift. I like it but it doesn't have much organization and I really want to be able to zip the whole thing closed.

I use pocket dipes on DD, and they seem to take up quite a bit of room. I know that they'd fit in the Lands End bag, but it's just so monstrous. And they'd be fine in the Kecci, but I want to have a bag that actually zips closed.

So, I've been looking at the Chester bags (mainly because of the discount) and they look fun, but I can't tell what they're like inside. Does anyone know if any of the Chester diaper bag varieties (backpack, classic diaper, diaper tote) would work well for cloth diapers? DD is 17 months now and the amount and variety of stuff has changed and diminished as she's gotten older. I'm hoping to use this bag for a long time and I don't think we'll be having any more children, so I don't need a bag that would work well for a newborn?

What diaper bag do you use with cloth? Do you like it?

Saartje
07-20-2005, 09:53 PM
After a bit of experimentation, I found the Baby Sherpa, which is wonderfully organized and can hold everything we need, no matter what combination of diapers DS needs for the day. As well as toys, food, our camera...

Our alternate diaper bag, for shorter trips using the stroller, is a Skip-Hop. It can't hold as many diapers, but it, too, is well-organized and can hold enough diapers and toys for a few hours out.

kristenk
07-20-2005, 10:02 PM
I was looking at the Baby Sherpa (mainly the short haul sherpa) the other day. It looks sort of industrial in the pictures on-line. Is it, uh, friendlier in person? Maybe I'm having a hard time with it because I just see pictures of it by itself, not being carried. Hmmm....

It seems that the organization is great. Is it easy to get to everything in the bag or are a lot of things lost in the depths (not that that's totally a bad thing - I rarely care if DD's extra clothes see the light of day!)?

I'll definitely look into it! I really like the integrated cooler. I'm getting a bit tired of carrying a separate insulated bag around.

KrisM
07-21-2005, 07:31 AM
I use the Chester classic diaper bag. I really like it. I have it in Blackberry, which is a nice print and not too busy. The handles are long enough for going over my shoulder, but a bit short to work well on the stroller. Not bad though.

The inside is black. It has 4 mesh pockets. Two are on the sides and are bottle pockets, I suppose. I put a straw cup in one and a wet bag of wet wipes in the other. The other two pockets are along the back. I have a small cosmetic bag (came with the diaper bag) with my stuff in one pocket. I have diaper cream, an extra Snappi, fleece liners, and maybe something else in the other pocket.

There is also an attached small bag. I leave this flat on the bottom of the diaper bag. In it, I have a disposible changing pad, some wet one type face wipes, and a bib.

There are 2 front outside pockets that I don't use too much. They are good to just stuff something into when I don't want to unzip the whole bag.

I use prefolds and can easily carry 4 or 5 prefolds, an extra cover, a couple small toys or books, a straw cup and some snacks in the bag. Most days, I only have a couple of diapers though, and then have room to stick my small pocketbook in it as well.

So, it works well for me. It doesn't have a ton of organization, though. I am not about having a bunch of pockets to stick things in. I like that it's largely an open space with just a few pockets.

HTH.

lmariana
07-21-2005, 08:59 AM
I think the Chester Classic would be a good bag! I've always been really happy with any Chester product. They are lightweight, durable, well-made, and wear well. They don't have a ton of organization, but I like using the matching make-up cases for that. :) I haven't tried their new messenger, but I've been really intrigued by it.

The backpack is great for when you want both hands free. I've never been a backpack girl...until now. Something about having an active toddler that has turned me into a backpack girl! So, lately I've been using a Petunia Picklebottom. TONS of space. I can fit like 5 CD's in the plus our normal stuff. I love the two external bottle pockets too. If it wasn't quite so delicate, this would be my every day bag!

As far as totes go, I also like:
2 Red Hens Whole Roost (big and spacious, low organization) - I like it's durability and how it can be used for other things post-baby.
Dobre Goods Bambino Tote: good organization, tons of space, well design lightweight, great overall tote.

Messengers:
OiOi Hobo Bag: good organization, adjustable strap, 2 outside bottle pockets, easy care, cute, but kinda flimsy (ala the Kecci).
Timi and Leslie Large Bebe Bag: smaller than a Mothership, but still tons of great space and great organization, pretty, durable, real eye-catcher. This could double as a pool/beach bag since it's waterproof.
Haiku: awesome bag!!! Tons of space, tons of organization, wears well, well-designed, durable, waterproof everywhere, great for when you need extra space (or have more than one kid).
Skip Hops: for shorter outings, these are my favorite...hands down. I love how they attach to the stroller so you are carefree. I also use it in the store on the shopping cart. I can fit 2 CD's in the Duo and 4 in the Dash, haven't tried the Expo yet. Durable, well made, unisex.

Backpacks:
Baby/Shorthaul Sherpa: tops in organization and functionality, but definitely "industrial" looking. Love this for Disney and other long outdoor outings.
Timi and Leslie Backpack: decent organization, durable, pretty, functional
Loom Bandicoot: for short trips, will hold 1-2 CD's. This one converts from a Messenger to a Backpack. Detachable "mom" purse outside...very cute. Well made, durable, very high quality.

Hope this gives you a good starting point!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mom to Gabe, 8/03
www.heinzandmariana.com

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051017/1/21/0/-5/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreggoPals