PDA

View Full Version : Baby Powder? Is it bad for girls?

Melanie
08-03-2005, 12:57 AM
With Ds, I used a little baby powder with cornstarch at almost every change for months. As I was setting up our changing table, it occurred to me this might not be a good idea for baby girls? Something floating around in my head said it could be a yeast issue? Am I right?

We'll also be using cloth this time, we didn't with Ds as a young infant, so I'm thinking I may not even want to use it, but just in case...what do you think?

ribbit1019
08-03-2005, 08:13 AM
I've heard too many arguments against powder to use it. Some say Talc raises the possibility that your girl may get yeast infections or even ovarian cancer. The inhalation of Talc, which is dangerous to any baby can cause upper respiratory issues. Which the stuff makes me cough so I understand this argument. I am not sure if enough research has been done in these areas, but the risks out weigh the benefits for me here.

On top of all that, I used it once on DD because I couldn't find any diaper rash ointment at that particular moment. At the next change she had blisters on her bottom. So I decided without further investigation that she was allergic and rid the house of the stuff. MIL used it on her a couple months later with the same results. Even after I told her the blister story. :(

So we don't use it. ;) Don't have to worry about any risk involved and DD bottom is happier for it.

Christy
Maddy - walking finally!

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/060301/4/0/0/-5/.png

Melanie
08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Yes, I definitely would not use the talc type, I've heard about the inhalation dangers. With Ds we used the cornstarch type. It got him dry (from the wipes) very quickly.

I guess I might want to throw away these bottles then.

ktshea
08-04-2005, 05:03 PM
I don't know if baby powder would be bad for your daughter, but we use Triple Paste diaper cream and it keeps dd's bum so dry that we don't even need baby powder. The other brands of diaper cream don't seem to work as well for us, but the TP goes on smoothly and keeps her all rash-free. Since I started using that she hasn't had any rashes, and dd hasn't ever had an issue with yeast.
HTH!
Katie