PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick Mama cloth advice - possible TMI

Jenn98
08-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Hey Girls,
I need some help. I gave birth a week ago to an amazing little girl. I have had an incredibly easy recovery, but I think I may be allergic to the pads I bought. I had no problems with the pads the hospital gave me, but when I started using my own (Stayfree, I think) I started to feel like I had a yeast infection. I am sensitive to soaps, etc. and that sensitivity always feels a bit like a yeast infection. I rarely get yeast infections, and when I do, I am blessed that they are really mild, so sometimes it can be hard to tell if it's yeast or an allergic reaction. I own one mama cloth and 2 inserts and used that and felt no symptoms while I did, but since I only have the few it's hard to tell. My bleeding is really light - I'm actually just wearing a panty liner right now. So, I feel like I'm stuck with only one mama cloth - any suggestions on how to get my hands on some more super quick? I have heard that some women use infant CPFs, but that would be way too bulky for my light flow. But I am willing to try if I have to - any suggestions on how to get them clean/no stains?

Otherwise, I guess I call the midwife and see if I can get checked out. I did receive antibiotics in the hospital - GBS+. Maybe that did me in...

TIA,
Jenn

toomanystrollers
08-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Congratulations on your new little girl :)

There are two diff. sets stocked at http://hyenacart.com/momandmecreations/

I happen to like the Mom 'n me mama cloth best :)

HTH

mudder17
08-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Do you have any preemie PFs? It would be pretty easy to get them from Teresa Smith on ebay (teresa dot smith at rocketmail dot com). Just e-mail her and she'll send them to you quickly.

As for getting them clean, I usually minishower mine (basically rinse with cold water) and then toss it in with my diapers. So far so good--no stains. But I've never used PFs, so I don't know if they would be more prone to stains or not. There is a wet pail method that I used for a time that worked well--basically, you soak in cold water, tiny bit of detergent and peroxide.

I think that there are some liners/pads that are going to be in the fluff auction (or are), and Shandelle may have some available right now as well, I'm not sure. Other people may be more aware of the availability of good ones, since I just use liners (just ordered a set from momandmepouch.com (same as momandmecreations) as back-up to my diva cup. Actually, it sounds like you just need liners, yes? Otherwise the set at momandme that Pam suggested looks really nice. She seems to stock it fairly frequently.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 17 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

calebsmama03
08-04-2005, 05:56 PM
You ddn't ask but I'd also suggest starting a daily dose of acidophilus in case it is an infection (yeast of bacterial). I got my first case of BV after #1 was born - typical ac'd to my then doc. Yuck! Acidophilus is good for you anyways - I take it evey day as a preventative/maintenance thing. ALso can help keep away thrush if you're BFIng.

As the the pads, I used preemie pf's for the first few days PP. A bit bulky but not too bad. To keep them from staining I'd give them a cold rinse then pour peroxide on the stain before tossing in with the dipes. I also like the Mom and me cloth and Freshies, but the only place to get those now is All natural mamas. I think there are some instock now? For light days I really liked the Freshies since I could snap in a new soaker and stay "fresh" without changing the whole pad. FOr really light days I'd just use a MnM liner without the holder.
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

psophia17
08-04-2005, 06:33 PM
I had the same trouble you did with the yeast-like thing going on with regular pads, and Stayfree were my faves until then.

I didn't figure out what to do to make it better until AF came back 11 months later when I went through the same problem with pads and couldn't use tampons anymore (ouch!), and I bought a Diva Cup - when I need pads again, I'm going with mama cloth, but I'm so glad I can rely on the Diva for another almost 9 years :)

velouria
08-04-2005, 10:30 PM
They are trim because their absorbant inner is microfiber, they are topped with "stay-dry" microfleece, and they have a PUL backing to prevent leaks. Cyclez have wings.

They are soooo comfy and work really well. I have *really* heavy flow (partly due to an IUD) but these would work well for someone with a light flow, too, because they're so trim.

For overnight, I use Happy Heiny's PP mama pads. They'd probably be overkill for you, though. ;)

Good luck!

todzwife
08-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Something to consider too would be the possibility of you being sensitive to dyes or synthetics as well...I have this one pad (not made by me) that makes me itch to no end, and I think it's because of the PUL backing (the rest of my pads have fleece or wool backing). I need the breathability.

emelsea
08-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Congratulations on your baby girl!!

I can sympathize with you, as I had the same reaction to disposable pads after I had DS. I used to use pantyliners everyday, and I just can't anymore.

There are some Freshies in stock at All Natural Mama. I have some of the 9" singles and I don't find them very bulky at all. She did have liners on Monday when I placed an order. They seem to ship pretty fast, too.