PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! stinky washer and dryer

katydid1971
08-29-2005, 02:10 PM
I am having problems with my wash after I do a load of diapers. I wash the diapers by first soaking them in cold, pre-wash in cold and a wash in hot with two rinses. My diapers turn out well but my other clothes that are coming out smelling like baby poop. The problem seems to be more from the dryer than the washer, clothes I hang to dry don't smell but clothes that go into the dryer do. I don't know what to do about this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!!

emelsea
08-29-2005, 02:23 PM
I had the same issues a couple months ago. I ended up filling the empty washer with hot water (I think I boiled a couple kettles of water, too, to boost the temp) and dumped in an entire bottle of bleach. I let it set for a while - I think I forgot and let it go overnight - and then ran it through the wash cycle. Things have smelled much better.

I have a top loader w/ a fabric softener cup in the middle of the agitator, and when I took that off, there was lots of mold in there. I scrubbed it w/ bleach and a toothbrush.

As for the dryer, really get inside the dryer itself and clean out the lint. I get bad smells when there is lots of link trapped in it. Take out the lint filter and stick your vaccum hose in there to get it out.

HTH!