PDA

View Full Version : TMI...weird stuff in his diapers

mommy_someday
08-30-2005, 09:43 PM
I took DS to the doc last week because he'd had a serious increase in the frequency of his dirty diapers. He usually only goes once every 1-3 days. He was going 3-4 times a day. I actually took a sample of it to the doc (can we say YUCK?) because not only were they happening more often, but they looked and smelled weird. He is EBF, won't eat solids, so it's not like I fed him something out of the ordinary. The stuff in his dipes was really mucus-y, with greenish stringy things in it and HUGE curds (not the size that is normal for him). The doc said that since nothing else seemed out of the ordinary (except for a slight temp around 100 for part of the previous day), that he was likely fine. Something must have made it's way into DS's system and his body was trying to get rid of it. Well, I was satisfied with that - figured as much - and the weird poo went away after another day of 3-4 dipes.

Tonight, while I was nursing him before bed, he was straining so hard. His poor little face got so red and he sounded like he was trying to bench press a Volkswagon. He ended up having a major blowout that involved a new set of pjs (sheesh - he didn't even make it to bed yet!). When I changed him, I noticed that the weird stuff was back again, along with the different odor. This was his third dipe today, but the others looked normal. This one did not.

Is DS's doc overlooking something? Does this sound normal for an EBF 7.5 month old? I've heard so many stories about kids with life-threatening illnesses whose symptoms are similar to very common things. I'm trying not to be paranoid, but it kinda comes with the territory, IYKWIM. Anyone have any insight on this?

Jeez...never thought my 500th post would be about poo. :P

mudder17
08-30-2005, 10:08 PM
Hmm...two possibilities come to mind. The green poop makes it seem like he might be getting too much foremilk. The mucusy stuff, though, makes me think that maybe he has a dairy allergy? Maybe you should show/describe the poop over in Feeding (or to an LC)? I had something similar when Kaya was around 4-5 months old, except there was a tiny bit of blood in it as well. When I described it to my pede, he said that a dairy intolerance was a strong possibility and to see what happened if I eliminated dairy from my diet. I did that and after a week, it mostly went away. After two weeks, I never noticed it again. I started up dairy for myself (yogurt) around 3 months later and she didn't have a problem with it, and I think I started her on yogurt about a month after that. So she did outgrow it.

I hope you figure it out!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 18 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

bcky2
08-31-2005, 07:43 AM
my ds was not bf, he was on formula and his poop was alot like what your ds poop is like but he also had the blood in it. he was allergic to milk protien and had to go on special formula that had pre digested protien in it. so it may be the dairy in your diet like pp said. maybe try to eliminate dairy from your diet and see if that helps.