PDA

View Full Version : I've got a few simple questions about CD's

kep
09-06-2005, 10:51 AM
I am looking for a good day-time cover to fit over our size 2 Kisaluvs. The ones I have don't seem to fit well, and are waaayyyy too bulky. Or, maybe that's just how they are...?

I am also needing to lanolize our wool covers soon. What should I be using to do that, and where can I find it? Also, do I need to use a special "wool soap" for washing them? I only have three wool covers, and it seems odd to have to wash them seperate from the rest of the dipes, but I will if needed...

Lastly, I've been all over town trying to find the Coleman water-proof camping bags to line my diaper pail. What material are these made of? Maybe I'm seeing them and just not realizing it. I was hoping to save a little money, but I may just have to break down and order a pail liner online. (Happy Tushies, anyone? ;) )

Well, thanks again, ladies. I have no idea what I would do without this board!

Kelli
Mommy to my beautiful little boy, Luke (April 2003)

"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you.
Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life."
-Maureen Hawkins

tarahsolazy
09-06-2005, 11:01 AM
I never used size 2 KLs, so I'm not sure what will work there. What covers do you have? A nice, non-bulky option is pull on nylon pants, like Bummis whisper pants. They are poofy, but squish right down under clothes.

For wool, you'll need to hand-wash them. Yes, its a pain, but I only wash them once every month or two. And, they don't stink! Wool soap is not neccessary, you can use baby shampoo, but if you do, you have to lanolize with every wash. The baby shampoo strips the lanolin out. The wool soaps have lanolin in them, so you don't necessarily need to lanolize with each wash. There are lots of threads on lanolizing, if you do a search. Too lazy to reytpe it.

For liners, I don't like the Coleman bags, they aren't waterproof enough for me, and seem to let the stink out more. Same for the Walmart bags. I have a Happy Tushies zippered pail liner that is fabulous, but they are spendy. I also find my Bummi's tote, I think I have a large (its blue) does a great job of keeping smells down. Its been in use 18 months and is still going strong. You can get those on-line easily, and more cheaply.

new_mommy25
09-06-2005, 11:17 AM
I really like my XL Bummis bag. It's nice and big, super waterproof, and easily available. I hated the Coleman bags and gave up on those and the Walmart Ozark bags fairly quickly. I think the Happy Tushies bags look great. I never got one because when I started to use cloth her custom slots were hard to get. I haven't looked at her site in awhile and hopefully things have changed. Oh and the Coleman bags from Target or Ozark bags from Walmart are made of nylon and they should say somewhere that they are waterproof.

As for wool, once you get into the routine washing will be easy. I never bought any special soap but I am cheap. I use a squirt of baby shampoo to wash and then soak them again in plain water to get all the soap out. When I lanolize I do the microwave a cup of hot water, add some lasinoh and a squirt of baby shampoo and stir method. I am still working through the same tube of lasinoh that I bought 2 years ago and I have about 15 wool covers.

I've never used Kissaluvs but I agree with Tarah about the pull on covers. I really like ours. I've never used the Bummis but the ones we have are from Basic Connection, come in different colors, and work quite well. I bought them from a baby boutique for super cheap but I know Natural Babies carries them too.

searchdog
09-06-2005, 11:58 AM
I can't comment on anything other than the the wet bags. We tried a bag from Walmart but it only lasted a month or two. I then tried one from a sporting goods store and they both did the same thing, the waterproof lining stuff (nice technical term I know) started peeling off. I finally ordered some 2 mil PUL and made my own wet bag, and it is going strong months later. I wash it every time I wash diapers and hang it to dry. Currently I only have one, but 2 would be nice but that means I would have to sew another one. LOL (I have the material I just haven't done it.

lizajane
09-06-2005, 06:15 PM
how about a motherease airflow cover. i think they are fab. if you want to try it first, i can loan you one for cost of shipping. i would need it back because i am using them, but i could be without one for a week so you could try it! i bet i could ship it for a buck.