PDA

View Full Version : Mom's of girls...powder or not to powder?

Melanie
09-06-2005, 01:12 PM
With Ds, he got the cornstarch-type of baby powder at every changing. I thought I read it could cause yeast problems with girls and it was best to avoid it. Dh keeps feeling guilty that we're not doing it and she might be staying moist-feeling so I told him I'd ask the experts.

To Powder or Not to Powder?

If it matters, we use cloth diapers, but are currently using PUL covers so there's not a lot of breathability.

Thank You

SnuggleBuggles
09-06-2005, 01:25 PM
We have a boy but we never used any variety of powder. I wouldn't if I had a girl either. It would be one of those things that I would base on the situation...if she is doing fine without then I wouldn't be worried at all. And she probably is.

I have heard the yeast infection thing before too. I've also heard issues with powder and repiratory problems.

We used cloth diapers with prowrap covers, btw. Never had any issues.

I should note that I didn't use diaper cream either at every change (actually, we hardly used it) because he didn't show any signs of rash or irritation. I'm of the "no extras, especially of the chemical-y variety unless necessary" school of thought.

Good luck!
Beth

psophia17
09-06-2005, 01:43 PM
I would keep some on hand when/if I ever have a daughter, but probably only use it when a thorough drying out wasn't going to happen, like in the locker room after waterbabies.

lilycat88
09-06-2005, 02:27 PM
We don't use it at *every* change but she does get powdered after baths and on other occasions when it seemed she was more damp than usual. For instance, we just got back from southeast Missouri/Arkansas and she got powdered nearly every change then 'cause the humidity was about 150% and I just kept thinking how much "I" would love to be powdered :-)
We use disposables. No issues with yeast. She's only had one yeasty diaper rash and that was antibiotic related.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

Melanie
09-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks ladies...I guess we could go either way on this one.

Emmas Mom
09-07-2005, 04:36 PM
I've used Cornstarch powder on my DD from about day 1 with no issues. Her ped told us that Cornstarch was ok, it was Talcum powder that could be an issue.

holliam
09-07-2005, 10:53 PM
I've never used powder on her, and it's hot/humid here. We just change frequently and use breathable covers.

Corn starch can feed yeast. So, it can be a problem if yeast starts but it shouldn't actually cause yeast, if that makes sense.

Holli

Mum2MyMunchkins
09-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi,

My daughter is 17mths now and I have only used all natural "powder" on her. Full Circle Herbs www.fullcircleherbs.com makes an amazing "powder" called Bare Bottom Dust. I use it on my daughter at night (we use cloth diapers)....I just sprinkle a little in her diaper and smooth it in and it keeps her dry and rash free. I am sure there are many WAHMs who make natural baby powders so shop around and see what you like. You won't have to worry about yeast or carcinogens b/c there's no cornstarch, yeast, talc, etc., just all natural ingredients.

Best Regards,
Mommy2Twins

mamahill
09-08-2005, 03:51 PM
First, can I say that I had to do a double-take at your ticker? I mean, I *know* she's here, but it's something entirely different to see the ticker and your posts about her. :D Yay!

We didn't start cd-ing until Ainsleigh was 10 months old, but we never used powder. The occasional barrier cream, but that's it. Girl stuff is complicated enough. I'd just go with a good fleece liner with frequent changes and I'm sure she'll be fine.