PDA

View Full Version : How am I doing?

mainepotato
09-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Okay, here's my stash as of now:

HAVE:
Prefolds:
24 infant IPFs (I will try to convert 12 into prefitteds)
12 infant CPFs (dyed)
12 regular IPFs

Fitteds:
1 Righteous Baby FLAG Sz1 (8-18lbs)
1 Muttaqin flannel/velour front snap NB (5-15lbs)

Pockets, AIOs:
1 Fuzzi Bunz Sm (7-16lb) (couldn't resist just one..)

Etc:
1 MOE micro insert
1 Wonder-full
5 snappis
1 mini shower
velour, sherpa, and flannel to make 3 dozen wipes
-------------------

ABOUT TO BUY:
12 preemie CPFs
2 KL0's (5-15lbs)
6 fleece liners
2 nb bummi whisper pants (to 10lbs)
2 nb proraps (6-10lbs)
1 nb green earth (5-10lbs)
1 nb bumpy day (6.5-13lbs)
1 sm polar bummi (6-13lbs)
1 sm prorap (9-14lbs)

-------------------------------
LOTS of Questions:
Is that too many NB covers? Will these NB covers fit over my infant PFs and/or fitted dipes? (I think I've read that the NB whisper pants, green earth, and bumpy day all run kind of big, is that true?)

Can I use the whisper pants before the umbilical stub falls off, or should I wait?

I think I'm almost done for now.. I'll wait on some of the WAHM stuff. When the kissaluv outlet stocks again, I may get 6-12 of those. Oh yeah, I still need the pail and liners.

Am I missing anything else? Is there anything on my "about to buy" list that I should reconsider?

Thank you!!

mamahill
09-08-2005, 04:04 PM
My first baby was tiny, she has always been in the 5-10th percentile. My son...GIGANTIC. He wore newborn diapers for about 2 weeks (after a couple weeks of disposables). Seriously. The good news was that I could ebay them for what I bought them. But next time around, I think I'll just stick with the smalls.

I had infant CPFs and am glad I decided not to get the newborns. I should have moved him to mediums LONG ago. The infant-sized ones are now my doublers. I'd get a couple newborn covers, but that's it. Get maybe 2 more smalls instead.

Also, he didn't really fit in the kissaluvs 0s for very long - straight to the 1s. It was crazy. Now I have a kid who is above the 95th percentile. He's already in the covers Ainsleigh was wearing right before she potty-trained. I'm pretty sure we're quite a way from HIS potty-training, though! LOL.

As far as the fleece liners go - do you mean you're just going to buy fleece and make your own liners? Because it really isn't hard. And you can use them from birth-potty training. But you'll need more than 6. ;)

KrisM
09-08-2005, 07:41 PM
My DS was big at 9 lb 6 oz and he only wore the NB covers for 2-3 weeks. But, if he was smaller, I am sure I'd have wanted those. There was a definite learning curve on getting the poop contained, so having 6 would be good. I'd keep them on the list.

But, I'd get a couple more smalls to start with, just in case your baby is on the big side. You don't want to have to order something at day 3, you know? Bumpy covers lasted the longest for newborn and small sizes. So, another of those could help with a transition.

Unlike the PP, we were able to use KL0s until about 2.5 months. They were worth it for me.

Liners on a newborn aren't always worth it. It's tough enough to learn how to diaper and Snappi without adding a layer. And, you're changing them all the time anyway. In any case, go buy microfleece and cut your own. It's easy. I have a set that we used until 4 or 5 months and now I have bigger ones.

Have fun shopping!

mainepotato
09-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Oh, WOW! Did you have any indication towards the end that you were going to have a big baby? Wow, after a tiny DD, you must have been stunned!

What kind of NB covers did you have that were outgrown quickly? Would you say the kissaluvs lasted till he was 15lbs or so? Wow. My DD#1 was 16 lbs on her first birthday!

LOL, I didn't (don't) know how many fleece liners I'd need. So, I'm guessing I need to use a fresh fleece liner with every diaper change? Do I use them with both Kissaluvs and prefolds? (I'm guessing I don't use them with the fuzzi bunz?)

I was thinking that I'd buy a set of 6 and then use one as a pattern for some homemade ones. Will regular anti-pill fleece work?

Questions, questions, questions! :-)

mainepotato
09-08-2005, 08:12 PM
This is fun!! I'm getting excited now!

Okay, so maybe add 1 Bumpy Day sz sm (11-17lbs) and 1 sm whisper pants (up to 15lbs)? I think I'm going to want another Polar Bummi too, but I'm not sure about the size. It's kind of pricey, so maybe a M (13-21 lbs)?

I wonder if I can find a pattern to trace to make the fleece liners or if I should just try to freehand it. I'll see what I can come up with..

Tricia

Mum2MyMunchkins
09-09-2005, 03:24 AM
Hi Tricia,

I would skip the bumpy day and just get the bumpy night. They are more absorbent and not any thicker than the day, plus you can use it at night if you need to....just a suggestion!

Best Regards,
Mommy2Twins
Owner of Little Dribbles Baby Boutique

KrisM
09-09-2005, 06:13 AM
I've never noticed a difference between them. I order whichever have the pattern I want.

KrisM
09-09-2005, 06:18 AM
My liners are just rectangles. I bought striped fabric, so I just followed the line! They're about 3 inches wide and 12 inches long.

mudder17
09-09-2005, 08:49 AM
I think I just cut rectangles for my first fleece liners, but I didn't start using them until at least 2 months, since I was changing her so much anyway. Oddly enough, we've recently stopped using fleece liners and Kaya doesn't seem to notice the difference. We have tried the rice paper liners, which DH likes because he can just dump the entire thing in the toilet. Thanks to Kris for that suggestion! In any case, the original rectangular fleece liners are (or at least was until very recently) still in use. I've also cut some hourglass shaped ones.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 18 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

mamahill
09-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Hee, no I didn't really know. DD was 5lbs14oz at 2.5 weeks early. She was about 18.5 pounds at her first birthday. While I carried bigger/lower with DS, and they said he'd be bigger, I didn't know HOW much bigger. He was 6lbs15oz at 4 weeks early. SO thankful he didn't go to term! (he was fine, though. We left the hospital w/in 24 hours)

Since you already had a small baby, and your next one is a girl too (congrats!), I'd wager that she'll be small too. So the kissaluvs 0s would probably be worth it. I'm trying to remember how long the 0s lasted, and I think maybe a month? He was 14lbs10oz at his 2-month. He just got a big belly quickly. They looked like string bikinis on him. :D

I don't think you'll need the fleece liners with the kissaluvs - they've got fleece/terry on them to help wick. And definitely not with the FBs. Yes, you'd need a fresh fleece liner with every diaper change, otherwise. That's smart to buy some and then use them as a pattern. Yes, you can use just about any kind of fleece. If you find some that doesn't pill, though, let me know! They ALL seem to pill on me. :(

And yes, I'm still stunned at the complete opposite my boy is from my girl. She's 29 lbs at 3.5 years and he's about 23 pounds. Oy.

KrisM
09-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Queen of the mini-shower is using paper liners?!

We use them in the mornings because it's always a big messy poop. In the afternoon, I use fleece and those tend to be less messy, so it just peels off.

I tried hourglass shapes and it just took too long to get them positioned right. Lazy me.

mudder17
09-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Ha, ha! Well, here's the story--a little long, so feel free to ignore the rest. :)

I've been contemplating the whole artificial fabrics next to Kaya's nether regions lately, and then we were having some repelling fleece problems (just means a strip with Dawn), so I suggested to DH that we just go without them while I stripped them. It turned out to not bother Kaya, so I just decided to go without them. Then she was pooping a lot with the really sticky stuff and you were raving about it, so I thought, hey, what could it hurt? So I ordered some from Lilbunz and started using them, and although it doesn't help with blueberry stains, LOL, it does make cleanup a lot easier. In fact, the one time I didn't use it, DH said, "You should continue using these things--it makes it really easy to clean up." It still seeps out of the sides so I still spray the diapers, but at least a large part of the sticky stuff comes off easily. :) So I still couldn't do without my minishower--besides I need something to wet the wipes when I use the bathroom now! ;)

Anyway, her poops have become less predictable (they never were that predictable anyway) and very sticky, so I'm probably going to use them for a while. I could just go back to the fleece liners, but I feel like experimenting with natural fibers for now (with the exception of her fleece pockets and the couple diapers that she still has that are fleece lined).

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 18 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png