PDA

View Full Version : Experience CVS or Baby Basics(Osco?) Diapers?

tamar948
09-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Looking to stock up on disposable diapers before baby arrives. Since we are due w/our first in a couple of weeks, I really have no idea what we're doing. Per the comments on the boards, I am avoiding the major brands due to perfumes/ fragrances.

(Would have preferred to try CDing, but we don't have an in-unit/house washing machine and dryer, so it just isn't an option for the time being)

TIA!
Tamar

mmaimp
09-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Before we started using cloth diapers I switched to the Baby Basics brand from name brand diapers. I still use them when we need a disposable. I tried them after Consumer Reports rated disposables some time last year.

I like them. I think the closest name brand they resemble is Huggies Baby Shaped diapers. Thought they don't leave behind those awful loose gel colonies! They also don't stretch as much in the waistband but that has not been a problem for us. They don't have a perfume smell and don't stink too bad when peed in either.

I tried the CVS brand one time and did not like those at all. They did not hold much and the tape closures were not that great.

When both of my boys were newborns I did have to stitch diaper brands as the baby grew. Usually not one brand of disposables will work for your baby as they change shape and change what they are eating.

The Baby Basics can be a great buy when they are on sale.

HTH,

Emmas Mom
09-12-2005, 04:32 PM
My DH used to work for Osco so we used the BB brand all the time. We never had any issues with them & I like them a lot.

Momof3Labs
09-12-2005, 05:29 PM
I found Huggies to be pretty close to fragrance-free. Not quite, but not at all perfumey like Pampers. Generics aren't necessarily any better in that regard - depends on how sensitive your nose is. Also, whether they work for you really depends on your baby's shape and size.

pittsburghgirl
09-12-2005, 08:24 PM
I have been using the CVS brand for the last few weeks because they had a buy one get one for 1 cent sale. We usually use CD's but went on vacation and I don't CD on vacation :)

Our normal brand is Pampers, which are pretty stinky-perfumey. I air them out once I open a package for a while before using which helps some.

The tapes aren't as good on the CVS, and the sides not nearly as stretchy. I haven't had a problem with leaks, though, they have been working pretty well.

I wouldn't stock up too much. I tried both Huggies and Pampers with my DS when he was a newborn and the Huggies didn't work at all with his shape, I ended up giving them away.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

tamar948
09-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks so much for the info...

I bought some CVS ones during that 1 cent sale (it didn't even occur to me to post at the time)... and since then, the Baby Basics went on sale so I bought some of those too (considering the feedback here).

I think I may have overdone it. I hope I can exchange if necessary.

eep.

Tamar

traciann
09-15-2005, 11:58 PM
I will be the minority...but I use the CVS brand and like them! CVS sells 2 differnt kinds, a cheaper brand and a supreme that is suposed to be similar to the pampers line called cuddler and then explorer. I have used both...and I prefer the supreme. The diapers have no smell, are super soft, and I have found that these tabs are more strechier than the less expensive CVS brand. The also go buy one get one free pretty often making them pretty cheap and they have a diaper program using their card when you buy 5 you will get a 6th pack of the CVS for free (you have to wait 48 hrs after the purchase and it will print up with your next receipt)
I have had leaks with every brand I have tried, and I didn't love any other brand more so to buy them over these..so the price won out for me.

Also the CVS wipes are the same as the old Kirkland wipes and I love them!

Traci