PDA

View Full Version : review needed: Happy Heinys, Wonderoos, Rumpster, Swaddlebees

HoneyKayke
09-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi there

I'm new to CDing. I want a nice trim fit (like I am used to with disposables) and want no leaking. I heard AIO and pocket diapers might be the best way for me to transition. Want some feedback/reviews from users of the following brands:

happy heinys, wonderoos, rumpster and swaddlebees.
What do you guys think of these diapers- does it work for you?
Do the weight/sizes the companies say meet your experiences on fit?

I was thinking about trying them out but my experience thus far has been less than stellar:
Just put my 28lb boy of average build into a fuzzybunz Large and had it tightened all the way and the crotch gapped. Too big or not a fit?
(major leak)

Bumkins size large leaked and were difficult to tighten properly.

Motherease AIO leaked for us but might work with an insert because the fit was great on him even though they are much more bulky than disposables.

So far, hemparoo prefold and a bummis whisper wrap worked but his clothes don't fit great because he has a big bubble but wearing all that.

I changed each diaper tried after 2 hours. I figure that is normal use.

Given all that, should I quit and go back to disposable? Does anyone think I'd have better luck with the HH, rumpster, wonderoo or swaddlebee? Please advise!!!

Kayla

psophia17
09-15-2005, 04:55 PM
I don't have reviews on those CDs for you, but can promise you that it takes some doing to find the right CD in terms of both fit and absorbency.

My DS was all belly, short-waisted, with really thick thighs, and 32lbs when I transitioned to cloth, and he's still wearing the same size large FBs I started him with. From the sounds of it, you might do better with FBs in the petite toddler, or maybe a medium. I didn't have gaping thighs at all, but DS had monster thighs.

My favorite CD across the board have been side-snapping Sugarpeas. They fit DS perfectly, and are trim enough that his clothes fit over them just fine. They aren't AIOs, so you need to have a cover, but I have several pairs of fleece pants in addition to a pair of wool soaker shorts and a bummis pull-on diaper cover, and haven't had any problems.

I hope you find a combo that works for you - it'll be a lot of trial and error, but you'll find it, and it's worth it.

jenjenfirenjen
09-15-2005, 06:49 PM
ITA with PP that it will take a while to find what works for you.

Of the four specific diapers you asked about, I only have experience with Happy Heinys. They just did not fit DS right. He has a small waist and chunky thighs and to get them tight enough on his waist they were too tight on the thighs. That said, I've heard many moms say that HH are great for chunky thighs. As far as trimness, I'd say they're comparable to a FB but of course trimness varies with any pocket dipes depending on how you stuff.

Also, I'd definitely try a different size FB, either PT or Med. DS is around 25 lbs I think and still in a Med on the tightest waist snap.

The trimmest option I've tried is Daisy Doodles (www.daisy-doodles.com) But, they sometimes leak on me since DS is a somewhat heavy wetter. But for short trips, they are a super trim option.

Also, Bummis whisper pants over a trim fitted (or my case prefitted) is a good trim option. The whisper pants are ridiculously poofy but they smoosh down under clothes and are very thin but have never leaked on us.

Good luck. I know it can be frustrating trying to find the right diaper but once you do it's great!

american_mama
09-15-2005, 10:35 PM
My first cloth diaper was a motherease one size on my tiny 3 month old, with a very big Polarbabies two layer fleece cover. Talk about bulky! I was very disappointed with the bulk at first and I had leaking at first, but I persevered. For me, trying a few things became kind of like a game; I think it helps to have that attitude.

Happy Heiney's fit my daughter really well. She's not even a year and has small thighs and is overall tiny, so nothing like your son. I love the HH print selection, although the solids perform better. I love the narrowness in the crotch, which cuts down on bulk. The only thing I don't like is the fleece, which is pure white (I think cream is better for hiding stains) and pills easily. However, I guess the pilling makes it easy for the poop to roll off it, which happens easier on a HH than most of my other diapers.

My DD is not a heavy wetter. I find a fuzzibunz, baby blanket, or other big pocket with a JoeyBunz insert is as trim as a disposable. I usually stuff pockets with a prefold, and that's not trim, but I have gotten used to it and I rarely have a problem with clothes fitting. She sleeps in onesies, and I just use a bigger size fot those, but her other clothing fits a cloth diaper fine.