PDA

View Full Version : Last minute advice, newborn covers?

lmariana
09-15-2005, 10:27 PM
I've been in latent labor all day, and I'm an odd combination of totally exhausted and totally nesting. Going through the newborn stash, I realized that I need more covers. All we have are (2) newborn Proraps and (3) Small Proraps!

What else would you buy? I'm doing mostly prefolds with a handful of fitteds, and we plan on Cd-ing about 50-75% of the time. The baby is currently 6 lbs (at 35 wks gestation), and the doctor is expecting a 8-9 lber, if we go to term.

I love using wool with Gabe, but I'm leaning towards fleece for its ease of washing. What would you recommend for nighttime (as if newborns know night from day).

Thanks in advance ladies!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com/news.html
www.heinzandmariana.com/deals.html

http://b3.lilypie.com/PVjPm4/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051017/1/21/0/-5/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/preggopals

mudder17
09-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Wow, I hope things go well with you and the new one! Okay, I really want to try one of these:
http://www.babykins.com/baby-waterproof-cover.html

because they're nylon (so more breathable), they're velcro (I like velcro on a newborn) and they have gussets. I may also pick up a pull-up pants since people said they liked them so much (although they were talking about the Bummis or the Especially for Baby brand.

I CD'd full time and Kaya was mostly in prefolds (preemies initially) + kissaluv 0s. The newborn proraps fit over the preemie prefolds for maybe 2-4 weeks? I don't quite remember. They fit over the kissaluvs for maybe a week (Kaya was 7 pounds at birth). I had 3 newborn proraps and 4 small proraps and that was just enough to wash every 2 days, if that gives you any idea.

For a newborn, I would pretty much do fleece or nylon and stay away from the wool, unless their pooping becomes much more predictable (Kaya never was and still isn't!). But for night time fleece...I would say Angeldry, but only because I LOVE her wool covers and several people here like her fleece covers just as much as the wool covers, and maybe Tykie (I have one of her fleece covers and I really like it, although it hasn't been in wide use this summer).

Good luck and keep us updated!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 18 months, hoping for 2 years

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

natividad
09-15-2005, 11:57 PM
I know I sound like a broken record, but I LOVE my inexpensive pull-on style nylon covers. They are simply the best! I have been using them for 2 1/2 years and they have truly stood the test of time. I started out with one by Bummis, but then discovered the less expensive Dappi and BRU's Especially for Baby. They are identical to Bummis. I also have some pull-on nylon covers by Babykins and they are also fine. But really, you should go to BRU and just get the Especially for Baby or Dappi brand.

I do have 1 NB Prorap cover and it was never my favorite. Plus, they don't tend to fit newborns for very long. I much prefer Proraps in sizes medium and large. For the newborn stage, again, I like using pull-on style covers - they are so much easier!

I must admit that at three months, we're still mostly using disposables for nighttime since I have not come up with a nighttime diaper solution yet. For the times we do use cloth at nighttime, I have been very happy using fleece covers. The one below has been my best fleece cover. It is the one I reach for time and time again. HTH!

http://www.sweetcheeksdiapers.com/fleececoversUS.html

Naty
DS 02/03
DS 05/05

mommyj_2
09-16-2005, 11:17 AM
I would recommend buying a few different covers to try, since people like different things. My personal favorites were Bummis whisper pants (the nylon pull up ones). The PP said they're identical to the cheaper ones, but I've read other reviews that Dappis are more stiff...I'm not sure if it's true. I know I tried Alexis nylon covers, and while they worked fine, they weren't as nice or as good for sensitive skin as Bummis. Definitely buy whisper pants in newborn if you buy them, because they run a little bigger than other covers.
If you want fleece, you could try Angelwraps AIO QD. The shells for these work great as covers, and they have fleece on the inside with cute fabric on the outside.
Or, I just noticed that Bummis is making a fleece cover with velcro.
http://store.naturalbabies.com/products/
I personally prefer covers with aplix (or pull on covers) for newborns, since they're faster than snaps. My son hated diaper changes, and he used to cry every time we changed his diaper, so I liked whatever was fastest and easiest.
You could also try a Bumpy wool cover for nighttime. That's what we used when my DS was a newborn, and it worked well. We just put a hemp doubler in the prefold once he started sleeping longer stretches.
HTH

KrisM
09-16-2005, 11:43 AM
We did prefolds during the day and kissaluv O's at "night". We were learning the prefolds and the KL0s were just faster to put on in the dark. We only had 5 and will get more if we have another kid.

For covers, I didn't like Prowraps. I liked Bumpy covers. I found them easier to adjust and not leave marks. Prowraps were hard to get snug on the thighs without being tight on the waist. But, all babies are different, so I'd get 1 of 2 or 3 types and try them. Maybe a pull on, a Bummi's SIWW and a Bumpy (day or night, doesn't matter).

I didn't do fleece until way later. I'm not sure I'd do it on a newborn, but would wait a couple of months. Not sure why though.

Good luck!

mainepotato
09-16-2005, 12:03 PM
How do you handle the umbilical cord stub when you use the pull-on covers? I got two Bummis Whisper Pants in NB and am wondering if I should try to tuck the waistband under the umbilical cord stub?

Then again, they look huge- I may have to wait a month or two to use them anyway! :)

katydid1971
09-16-2005, 01:47 PM
This is going to sound weird but for the first couple of weeks we went coverless most of the time. DS peed very lightly and the first poops are soooo sticky they don't run. DS's stump took a long time to heal so I was even worried about the prowraps with cutout. Since then I have used Prowraps, Bummis SWWs and Bumpkins. I think the Bumpkins are super cute but my favorite for ease of use and holding in the big poopies are the Bummis. I haven't used wool or fleece because I thought they would be too warm in the summer (DS was born the end of May). That's my two cents. I hope it helps and enjoy your little one! :)

natividad
09-16-2005, 06:29 PM
That is really interesting because I found the Dappis to be thinner (less stiff) than the Bummis. I initially thought that they were not going to make it through multiple washings, but they have worked fine. I do air dry them most of the time, but once in a while, I'll throw them in the dryer. I've used them on two babes with no problems.

Naty
DS 02/03
DS 05/05

kitmama
09-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Well, we're in the midst of newborn diapering right now so this is fresh on my mind! My all-time favorite cover for NBs is the Bumpy, hands-down. I also like the velcro proraps and fleece covers. (The only NB fleece I have so far is Stacinator, which does the trick but is very bulky.) I personally don't care for pull-on covers, and I don't recommend wool for NBs- wait until they're a bit older and their poop isn't quite so frequent and runny.

daisymommy
09-17-2005, 09:44 AM
We didn't start using cloth until Josh was 9-10 months old, so I'm very clueless here, just going off of all the old newborn threads that I haev been saving ;) But I thought you had to have gussets with a newborn?
So, the pull-on Bummis type covers will hold in runny newborn bf type poop? Even though they don't have gussets like a Prorap? I have bought 4 NB Green Earth covers because I liked them much better than Proraps (softer, & a cream color rather than glaring white). But I really like pull-on covers with Josh because there is no velcro to scratch him--so I'd use some Bummis with this new baby if I new they would hold in the runny-poo. FWI...We will be using Kissaluvs as our diapers.

Melanie
09-18-2005, 11:06 PM
I liked newborn prowaps, but now that she's out of the cord-dip diapers I like the size small prowraps.

tarahsolazy
09-19-2005, 01:13 PM
YES!! The Bummi's whisper pants and the BRU nylon pants do hold the poop in. We used them a lot in the NB period, those and Green Earths. You have excellent taste, Amy, LOL!

It is a little messier to change if the poop escapes the prefold, but I never had a poop leak onto clothes. If you are using the KLs, it shouldn't be a frequent issue. I think we only rarely had leaks onto the cover with those.

pritchettzoo
09-19-2005, 03:14 PM
My 9.5 lber fit in the NB proraps for about 7 seconds. ;)

I would wait on wool until the poops are less frequent. Especially since you're using prefolds which I don't think hold in the poop as well. Every time I put Eli in a prefold (bikini twist), he poops and it gets on the cover. Which is fine because it's contained there!

We use Proraps and I have one Loveybums medium fleece cover that is bulky but nice. If I were you, I would get one cute, fuzzy, colorful fleece cover and probably 2 or 3 more cheap Prorap-ish covers in small.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)