PDA

View Full Version : Pampers has changed Cruisers material and they are AWFUL!!!

WooChx
09-16-2005, 11:07 AM
I just got off the phone with 1-800-pampers and my fears have been confirmed. Pampers has made changes to the design and material used for Cruisers!! I recently purchased a case from BJ's wholesale and thought they didn't feel quite as nice. Then I started noticing the diapers were sticking together when you try to unfold them. They are hard and stiff now, totally feel cheap!!!

I'm so angry! I'm seriously going to have to start looking for a new brand. Stock up on the old ones while you can! Change is a coming!

jenny76
09-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Ooh, this is just what I was looking for on here. We bought a 148 count box of Cruisers several weeks ago, and noticed that the diapers were different. They even fit differently than the previous incarnation! (My son has leaked out of these often, whereas he *never* did it before).

I sent them an email, and received not only an email reply, but also a snail mail letter containing 3 vouchers (2 free jumbo packs, 1 mega pack). Combined, that makes up for the $33 I spent on the original box. Of course, it also defeats the purpose, when my free packs will be of the new, crappy design.

Definitely write them, though. They want the feedback, and if enough people complain, maybe they'll change back!

hez
09-17-2005, 07:32 AM
Yup, the more people who call and write to share their concerns, the faster the action (in my experience!).

nfowife
09-17-2005, 12:04 PM
FYI, they also made some changes to their swaddlers. But the changes have made them better IMO! Now they have tabs on the front and back so the dipe fits more snugly. Too bad DD is almost outgrowing her size 2's and will be in cruisers before too long...

shannonG
10-19-2005, 12:31 PM
OMG! I am so pissed off. I actually searched for this topic hoping that others have noticed the same thing. We just got 2 jumbo boxes at BRU (with the $5 coupon) and I was so surprised when I opened the box to find exactly what everyone else is describing!!!!!!!!!! I knew right away that they would not fit right. I think they're trying to save money by using less elastic. The diaper used to curve into a U shape but now when you unfold them they just lay flat. It's insane. The material is also horrible...and it sticks to itself. What are they thinking. I have used Pampers since the beginning and now I'll certainly be switching...but I have no clue what to buy!!!!!! I tried Huggies back when my son was very small and they leaked. I gave these new ones a try even though I knew they wouldn't hold up and they leaked too! BUMMER.

Even if I get coupons int he mail...I won't want to use them because I don't like their new product. Also, they should have listed on the box that they changed their style so that I could have bought a smaller package to try out first. Now I wasted 30 dollars. Sorry....I had to vent! Shannon

mommysammi
10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm so glad you posted this. I thought it was just my bad luck for picking boxes with these down-graded diapers. We've used Pampers from day one too after testing many others including Huggies. We have been experiencing leaks but thought it was because our ds was moving around too much in his sleep...

If you know of a better brand diaper, definitely pass it on. We have about two-weeks worth of Pampers to go. Thanks.

hez
10-20-2005, 05:45 PM
I can say with great authority :) that the amount of elastic in the diapers has not changed.

The rest of the changes you've noticed-- call the 1-800 #. It would stink to lose loyal consumers over something like this.

shannonG
10-20-2005, 11:02 PM
I can't see how the amount of elastic is the same with the new diapers. They don't even cling tight to his legs. I will be calling the 1-800 number. What did they do then to the leg area...it IS significantly different? Like, the elastic wasn't stretched tight enough before it was attached to the diaper...so it doesn't sinch the leg holes the same.

The meshy material in the diaper is also a joke. It wedges in my baby's bottom...it's really gross.

I also can't see how they thought that this would have been an improvement to their product. This is why I have to believe that they were trying to increase profit without increasing the price. I don't know...this totally blew me away. I got a package of Luvs (even thought they're still made by Pampers) and in my opinion they're nothing like the old Pampers Cruisers. I hate Huggies too. If anyone has any suggestions for a slender kid...please share!!! He was in a size 5 cruisers. Thanks!

parker10302
10-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Glad I'm not the only one...the horrible meshy interior caused excema on my little one's bottom! We resurrected the cloth diapers for a while! Pampers has already heard from me...and we're looking for a new brand of daipers as well.
Nicole

mommy to
Grace 10/02
Emelia 4/05

TahliasMom
10-21-2005, 01:43 AM
another bbb mama suggested white cloud diapers from walmart. we took the plunge few months ago and never looked back. half the price of pampers and dd has had only 1-2 leaks and it's mostly due to overconsumption of fluids before bedtime. you can also return the opened box if you don't like them.

hez
10-21-2005, 07:17 AM
The forces you get in the cuff with the elastics aren't just from how much elastic is in the diaper-- there's a bit more science to it than that. Definitely call (or email over the website), because if you've got little to no force in the cuff of the diaper, something is *definitely* wrong. It's NOT meant to be that way.

Edited to remove some personal details-- shannonG, if you want to email or PM me, I can let you know why I know all this stuff, and why I'm so passionate about thinking that you've just got a bag of diapers with a defect :)

shannonG
10-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestion...I'll check out white cloud!! It sounds like it's worth a shot.

shannonG
10-21-2005, 09:39 AM
I've PM'd you!! Thanks :)

shannonG
10-21-2005, 10:09 AM
I just called the 1-800 number and they will be passing on my complaints and sending me coupons to replace the diapers. She actually let me choose which coupons I wanted to try...Luvs or Babydry. So, I asked for the Babydry coupons...it's better than getting coupons for more of Cruisers. Also, she told me that they are "just trying" the mesh material in the new diapers, so it may not be around for long if more people complain. Another thing...she said that they ARE still making the "old" cruisers but there's no way to tell which you are getting. I didn't realize that they are actually still producing some of the ones we like. I'm not sure I want to take a chance by buying another package though...it would be nice if they could have told me where they are distributing the "old" cruisers...I'd be there in a heartbeat!!

McQ
10-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Count me in as one who doesn't like the new material! Those puppies are rough on the behind. Meghan got her first real case of diaper rash as soon as we started using the new ones. It was awful.

Allison
~ mama to Declan and Meghan

andielib
11-06-2005, 09:14 AM
I recently tried the Target store brand "premium" dipes on my skinny kid (36" tall, 27 lbs in a size 4) and loved them. They are also soooo much cheaper than Cruisers (my traditional choice) or Luvs or any of the other national brands. I've tried the White Cloud ones before and was not impressed. I highly recommend the Target ones. Make sure you get the premium ones, tho.

Andie

>I also can't see how they thought that this would have been an
>improvement to their product. This is why I have to believe
>that they were trying to increase profit without increasing
>the price. I don't know...this totally blew me away. I got a
>package of Luvs (even thought they're still made by Pampers)
>and in my opinion they're nothing like the old Pampers
>Cruisers. I hate Huggies too. If anyone has any suggestions
>for a slender kid...please share!!! He was in a size 5
>cruisers. Thanks!

BrookesMama
11-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Pamper just changed swaddlers as well. They are extremely thin and flimsy, where as before they were thick and wonderful. The front panel is no longer fuzzy where the velcro attaches. I am extremely agitated by this.

The diaper has leaked everytime, where as before they never had a leak.

I just can't believe what pampers is getting away with. I have lost all respect for this company. I am ashamed that they would take quality away, I would rather pay more for quality then less for cheap crap, and that is what these new diapers are.

They have also deceived the consumer into buying something they didn't bargain for. I thought i had a defective package until I actually went to two different stores, bj's and babies r us and i ripped open some packages and found that both stores including target is carrying this new cheap version of the old swaddler pamper.

see the response below that I got from pampers...it is total BS!!!

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
I noticed that the quality of the Swaddlers has recenlty declined. They are m...

Discussion Thread
Response (Maureen) - 11/07/2005 04:33 PM
Hi Angela.

I'm sorry you were disappointed with Pampers Swaddlers with the new, "Grow With Me," contoured fit. We didn't change the ingredients, absorbency, or size, but we did change the fit to be less bulky between those little legs. Swaddlers have a soft, quilted backsheet that swaddles baby in blanket-like comfort, as well as a thinner, softer, more flexible core with a narrower crotch.

The sizes and weights we put on our packages are there to help you gauge the best size to use for your baby. But there's a cross-over period for weight and absorbency needs that are different for each child. And if your child needs extra protection, it might be a good idea to try the next larger size. As sizes get larger, absorbency increases.

It's important for us to meet the needs of our consumers, and I'm sharing your comments with the rest of our Team. We hope you'll give Swaddlers another try.

Since the help I'm able to offer via email is limited, I'm following up by postal mail. My letter should arrive in 7-10 days.

Maureen
Pampers Team

P.S. Great news! Pampers has a new program to reward parents for the important day-to-day choices they make, including choosing Pampers. For more information about Gifts to Grow, log onto http://www.pampers.com/cr

Pampers Team

Auto-Response - 11/07/2005 12:30 AM
Title: Difference in diaper versions
Link: https://babycare.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/babycare.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=2504&p_created=1045237096

Title: Buy direct?
Link: https://babycare.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/babycare.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=1349&p_created=1035304998

Title: Changes to the newborn diaper
Link: https://babycare.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/babycare.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=4470&p_created=1084538857

Customer - 11/07/2005 12:30 AM
I noticed that the quality of the Swaddlers has recenlty declined. They are much thinner and seem very flimsy. I am very disappointed in this, just a few weeks ago I was able to buy a package of swaddlers that had the thicker quality in the back, I have noticed that the fabric on the front where the seasame street characters has changed.

Why was this change made to a cheaper looking diaper???

Question Reference #051107-000016
Product Level 1: Pampers
Category Level 1: Using our Product
Date Created: 11/07/2005 12:30 AM
Last Updated: 11/07/2005 04:33 PM

[---001:002312:21682---]

shannonG
11-08-2005, 11:54 PM
What a bummer. I feel your frustration. It wouldn't be as bad if they stated on their package that they had made some changes. Hopefully they'll include some coupons in the letter they sent you. They sent me about $60 worth of coupons...two Mega size and one Jumbo size pampers coupons. I've been getting the Baby Dry and I've also purchased Luvs but neither of them compare to the old Cruisers. I actually found a pack of the older version Cruisers at a grocery store...I had to destroy the package to look at the diaper inside the bag!! I probably shouldn't have done that but...oh well! Sorry you're going through this, I know it can be hard to find diapers that you like. I wish I had a good suggestion for smaller babies...I used the Swaddlers as well. Unless they make some changes it looks like I'll be finding something else for #2!!!

parker10302
11-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Too funny...I destroyed a few packages looking for the old Swaddlers as well!! I bought out the whole supply of old swaddlers at all of our local drug stores!!! Unfortunately we're now out of those, so we're using a combination of cloth and the premium Target brand diapers. I just don't get why they made such huge changes for the worse...very frustrating!

Nicole

mommy to
Grace 10/02
Emelia 4/05

tjham
11-13-2005, 05:20 PM
How do you tell the difference from looking? My grandson uses Swaddlers size 2. The big difference I have noted is the velcro tabs lately are a yucky yellow instead of white. Is that a sign of the new ones?

I also just bought a box of Cruisers size 3.

parker10302
11-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Yep, the tabs have more yellow on them, also, the outside of the older ones are more quilted and then the inside is smoother not meshy. I've given up and switched back to cloth for my littles one's sensitive bum!!

Nicole

mommy to
Grace 10/02
Emelia 4/05

sbstoner
11-16-2005, 01:26 PM
The older diapers also have a fuzzier character area on the front where the velcro sticks. I, too, have the exact same complaints as listed above, so I emailed pampers and received the same email that others got. They also sent me coupons for 2 free mega packs. My husband thinks I'm a crazed lunatic because I'm on a mission to find the old diapers. I think I've bought out every store around.

icunurse
11-16-2005, 01:40 PM
I just received my snail mail from Pampers after I emailed them about the changes to the Cruisers. maybe enough people are starting to complain because all they gave me was a voucher for one free mega pack (and I've been buying the cases at BRU and Sam's since BS was born). They feel cheap and just don't seem to fit right even though the CS rep said the fit hasn't changed (I keep finding DS with the diaper wedged into his backside!). Thinking about changing, but afraid at what else could be out there :)

Without having to waste money to open packs and touch the diapers...which ones are most similar in construction to the old Cruisers (feel, velcro tabs)? Ds is average size.

Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

Coolamber
11-18-2005, 02:58 AM
Does anyone know if they are going to change back the cruisers we love. I did the phone and e-mail and got the same answers everyone else got. With one of the free coupons I got first steps and they feel just like the cruisers, but I don't like fact that I have to take pants and shoes off each time to change a diapers. I think we sould boycott pampers until they change them back. What do you think.Maybe we sould start an e-mail Campaign. Telling them to fix the problem or lose us as customers
Upset pampars mom unite.
Mollie

Aunt to sweet baby boy
11-18-2005, 11:44 AM
I just read this post and needed to share a funny story with everyone. I read the first post a few days ago and then i was babysitting for dn. I got there just as i he was finishing dinner, and he had pasta but i did not notice. I took off his pants and there were little white things stuck to his legs, i thought the diaper was coming apart so i got wipes and changed him. Then i picked up one of these white things and i realized what they were Noodles! LOL! That got a good laugh out of me and my sister.

Ilana

PS DN also uses cruisers but he is still using up the size 4's that he has and then he can use the 5's, are those two sizes supposed to feel different or is this what you are talking about?

hez
11-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Those two sizes use the essentially same materials-- just different widths/lengths of them. So if you've noticed a difference between 4 & 5 it's probably because there's been a change that you happened to catch when moving sizes.

deanna17
11-18-2005, 01:04 PM
I hear you! I recently switched to Huggies Supremes for all the same reasons as everyone here. I love them...you can read my recent post/review. It was hard to make the switch b/c I am such a brand loyalist, but didn't feel like I had any choice but to switch until they make some changes for the better (by listening to their customers)!!

Deanna

sarahsthreads
11-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Oh, no! We got the new, "improved" ones in the case we just opened, and they are truly awful! Carrie has never had a diaper rash before, but after using these for 24 hours I had to put her to bed with a Desitin-slathered bottom. That mesh top sheet just sticks to her backside and obviously doesn't keep the wetness away - and I change her quite frequently. I'm worried about what her bottom will look like in the morning, but I didn't have any other diapers to put her in. I guess I'll go buy some Huggies tomorrow.

Now the question is, regular or supreme Huggies? And will they leak? Because besides the it's-time-to-size-up kind of leaks, I can count on one hand the number of times we've had a leaky Cruiser, and those were of the lots-of-overnight-nursing variety. So, so sad that they did this to our diapers! :(

Sarah

jenny76
11-20-2005, 11:22 PM
We switched to regular Huggies after the Cruisers changed. I bought them one size larger than we were using in the Pampers (because I'm fairly sure I read that they run a little smaller), and they have worked really well. We haven't tried the supremes yet, but I've heard that they aren't all that different...maybe a little more shaped and a bit less of a papery feel. Both versions have stretchy waistbands/tabs.

Coolamber
11-21-2005, 03:11 AM
I have been searching for a new diaper since the change with no luck.
Huggies Supreme are ok. I have tried the ones from costco, wal-mart, Albertsons, and a few others, don't really like any of them. I am getting really tired of looking for a new diaper I like. Maybe if we got an e-mail campaign going. Maybe they might just change them back to the CRUISERS we LOVE
Mollie

Momof3Labs
11-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Supremes run smaller than Pampers Cruisers. The regulars run about the same size (give or take a little - it's been a while since I've compared them). And call Pampers to complain - they'll send coupons!!

TonFirst
11-21-2005, 10:02 AM
AHA! This makes sense. I really liked the SUpremes, but A was leaking overnight. He was a 4 in Cruisers, so I bought size 4 Supremes. I'll thy the 5 Supremes. (And while I'm at it, I'll try the 5 regular Huggies...)

brendak
05-06-2006, 07:08 PM
The last two boxes that I bought have a small label on the front that say: "Absorb Away Liner" with a small picture of a diaper. These are the new diapers. I am returning the box I bought today and checking all my local stores for boxes without this label. Why would Pampers make changes to an already fabulous product?

AtomicLush
05-06-2006, 07:19 PM
>The last two boxes that I bought have a small label on the
>front that say: "Absorb Away Liner" with a small picture of a
>diaper. These are the new diapers. I am returning the box I
>bought today and checking all my local stores for boxes
>without this label. Why would Pampers make changes to an
>already fabulous product?

Um, the last post before yours was November 2005...that was over half a year ago...you're not going to find any of the "old" style Pampers...

littlewilson
05-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Well, I know this is an old thread, but somehow or another I've managed to avoid the awful new Cruisers until the pack I just bought for my son. He's been in size 3s for a couple of months (and still nowhere near being ready for size 4), and has only leaked out once. I finally ran out of my diaper stash, went to CVS and bought a new 36-pack, and out of the three diapers we've used so far, EVERY SINGLE ONE HAS LEAKED. WTF?!?!(@^*#$*^ I didn't know what the heck was going on until I took a good look at the diapers in the new pack and searched to find this thread. They have a smoother, shinier outside with that nasty mesh liner, and I'm not sure what about them is causing all of the leaks - maybe the absorbency (i.e. lack thereof)?

I am so unbelievably freaking angry with Pampers right now. There wasn't even anything on the pack indicating a new design!? The worse news is that I have a 160-pack currently in transit from Amazon - what's the chance that these will be the old kind? From the dates on this thread, I'd say probably nil. What were they thinking? I just wasted $50 on this garbage!

For the poster who is "familiar" with Pampers' inner workings, is there buzz (or better yet, action) about changing back to the softer old design?

For those who had leaking or other issues with the new design, have you found a nice replacement? I guess I'll be trying the Huggies first.

chiqanita
05-21-2006, 02:47 PM
We're having recent leaks and rashes that I didn't connect with the change in the Cruisers until I read this post. Not sure what I'm going to do because I have a box of size 5s and I alredy tried some of the others out there....I'm ticked, too!

littlewilson
05-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Update...

Tried diaper number 4 from the new pack, and got wet baby #4, and sheet change #4. ARGH. I didn't go right to the Huggies, and based on other comments on this board, instead bought a pack of CVS Cruisers-type diapers. So far, so good - we made it through the night without a leak. These dipes are soft and it's nice that they have no dyes or scent. And, oh yeah - they're cheaper. Looks like we may have a convert here. Thanks a lot, Pampers!