PDA

View Full Version : Help please...getting ready to give up!

luvmykiki
10-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Hello,
I apologize in advance for length here! I'm very new to CDing...my newborn is 1.5wks and we've been using mainly kissaluvs fitteds/prowraps and fuzzibunz small... She's been sleeping long stretches 3+hours and her little behind has become 'chapped'/sore! I'm horrified and wondering if this would be the case with pampers...She seems SOAKED every time I change the Kissaluvs (every 2-4hrs) I will not be waking this baby to change her every 2hours so that is just not an option. Anyhow, if you can help I'll be SO appreciative.
1. I've been using 'stay dry fleece' liners but they aren't 'staying dry'
2. I love the fuzzibunz b/c they 'stay dry' but I think i'm having an issue with the fit around the thigh..I can see the fleece inner even with it on the tightest snaps and last night had poopie leakage.
3. I'm using Burt's Bees to help the sore bum but I'm worried about the 'residue' and the fuzzibunz...

If I could fix the issues with the fuzzibunz I'd buy some more right now but don't want to put out the $$ if these problems will persist.
What other 'stay dry' diapers are out there that are very absorbant and ?trim???? I'm getting discouraged!!
Thanks in advance!

~Susan and a poor sore bummed baby girl....

KrisM
10-04-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm sorry you're having leaks and a red bummed girl :(.

Kissaluvs aren't super absorbent. If they're soaked when you change them, you need to either change them sooner or add absorbency to them. You can add a doubler inside. If they're not soaked, maybe you aren't using the right amount of detergent. Too little, and they won't get clean. Too much and you might have build up that is irritating.

1. The fleece will stop keeping her dry if there is simply nowhere else for the liquid to go. If the diaper is completely soaked, she's probably getting wet. If you can change her sooner, that would be great. If not, add a doubler :).

2. I think a lot of folks have troubles with the fit of FB that early. We didn't try them until 4 or 5 weeks. I'm not sure if something else fits newborns better.

3. I never have a problem with Burt's Bees and residue not coming out of FB or anything else. Are you getting stains?

I hope someone else chimes in on alternatives for you!

hlkm2e
10-04-2005, 12:20 PM
I've had luck with aquafor and maalox mixed together to clear up rashes. You have to microwave the aquafor for a couple seconds to let it absorb the maalox, but it really helps rashes. Also, when you get a chance, let her sirdry really well between changes. Could you put a little more stuffing in the fuzzibuns. Maybe if there is more absorbancy, the fleece would stay drier?

Heidi

Momof3Labs
10-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Kissaluvs are not very absorbent at all, so I'm not surprised that the fleece inside of them is getting wet.

How about if you use a cover over the FBs? I've never CD'ed a newborn but that's what we did when we were having some leaking with our nighttime pockets! Though note that you will probably see some fleece when you snap a FB - just a tiny bit at the edge.

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
10-04-2005, 12:42 PM
always cleared up my sons bum...and prety quickly.
You need a script, it was the only thing that worked and was like magic!!!

JBaxter
10-04-2005, 12:53 PM
I use mylanta ( or malox liquid) all the time on Nathans bum when it gets red and irritated it is great. I have also mixed it with triple past or aquaphor in the past. Could it be a detergent issue? Try an extra rinse ( thats an easy thing to start with).

tbriese
10-04-2005, 01:23 PM
susan,

i CD'ed our DD as a newborn and used kissaluvs & CPF with prorap covers. didn't start using the FB until she went to the sitter at 9 wks of age. it was about your DD age that we started seeing a rash as well. i'm ashamed of how long i let it go thinking i just didn't find the "right" ointment to clear it up. i finally stripped the diapers (courtesy of advice i got on these boards...thanks mamas!)and lo & behold that's what our problem was!! i was using waaaaay too much detergent. try tossing your diapers into the laundry without any detergent (if you have hard water i hear you are supposed to use calgon to soften it up - we skipped this step as we have soft water) and look for detergent bubbles. keep rinsing until those bubbles are gone.

as many mamas have said, the kissaluvs don't have great absorbancy. try buying some preemie prefolds for doublers.

i have used the burt's bees without any problems with staining. i think it has worked very well if i start seeing any rashes to ward them off.

Momof3Labs
10-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Could be your detergent type too causing the rash - my DS was VERY sensitive to fragrance at that age, including fragrance in diaper ointments (so read your labels before using)!! Even fragranced bath wash would give him a rash!

kensjen
10-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Oh her poor little bum! The PP gave good advice on what to do for her rash/chapped bottom. I hope that will help.

As for WHY she is that way, it could be a lot of things. Newborn skin is very sensitive in the beginning, so it could be something with the fleece, detergent, really about anything. I know at that age I was changing DS very very often, every hour or so sometimes during the day...and he was in sposies. So with her skin being sensitive and sitting in a diaper longer than usual, maybe that is the problem. I wouldn't wake her to change her, or at least I didn't with my son (although he wouldn't wake up if I changed him anyway, he slept soundly). You are lucky she is sleeping so well! Hope she keeps that up!!

Fuzzibunz usually aren't so good for newborns, at least until they fill out a bit to fit around the thigh. Are you breastfeeding? Usually those BF poops are explosive and you will have leakage in the FB. I didn't use FB until DS was on solids and in size medium. I have found for itty bitty ones, it is good to have two layers, meaning a diaper and then a cover with gussets. Have you tried prefolds? Just lay them in the cover, trifolded? It is an inexpensive thing to try and there's no doubt that they work. Not as convenient as a fitted, though. Are you using a doubler in the kissaluvs? That is another option.

Try not to give up, she is still so little and it takes some time to work out what is best for your baby...they are all different shapes and sizes with different wetting patterns. Good luck!!

mudder17
10-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Aww...big hugs to your baby girl!

Others have already given great advice, but I'll point out the most probable causes of the rash.

1) The diaper is soaked and she is sitting in her pee too long. Since you don't want to wake her up, the solution is to add a doubler to the kissaluv, preferably hemp. During the day you should go ahead and change her as often as possible, and that will help. In fact, since she's not mobile yet, you can just put her on top of a water proof sheet (like the Neat sheet) and let her bum air out (i.e. Nakie time). As long as it's not too cold in your house, that will be a great way for her rash to heal.

2) FBs really don't work well for newborn poop. However, if you really want to use them, I second Lori's suggestion to put a cover over the FB. I would use nylon, though, because nylon is more breathable (and cool) than the other options, but still easy to clean if poop gets on it. I'm actually about to order one of these:
http://www.babykins.com/baby-waterproof-cover.html
to try out. Notice there is a pair with gussets. That will help contain leaky newborn poop.

3) I would definitely check to make sure you're not getting detergent build-up, since that's so easy to do. Yes, you want to make sure you're using enough detergent to get them clean, but diapers really hold on to detergent, so if you use too much, it takes several cycles to completely rinse them clean. If you do a cycle of "clean" diapers without detergent and see soap bubbles, you know you've been using too much detergent.

4) For absorbent diapers that are trim, you're probably looking at getting some hemp diapers. Kaya has turned into a super soaker (since around 4-6 months) and hemp is really a must for her. Yes, you have build-up issues if you're not careful, but for the most part I don't have stink issues and it's really worth it. Without hemp, I'd literally have to change her diapers every 1-1.5 hours! My favorite are the cuddly hemp fleece Sam's Fitted (momandmepouch.com). But her waiting list is pretty long, although you could always get on it for later. Bijou Baby Gear are a little easier to get and they're definitely trim. You'll want to ask for an extra doubler. If you do a search for "favorite fitted" you'll see quite a few good links.

5) Burt's Bees shouldn't stain so you're good there. But like other people mentioned, for red rashes, having mylanta or maalox in the mixture is really helpful. I actually make my own concoction of aquaphor, triple paste and mylanta/maalox with a very small dab of benadryl (if she's been getting itchy rashes) and it works really well. Oh, one more thing, if you give her a daily bath, add baking soda to it and it'll help with the sore bum.

I hope she gets better soon! Hang in there mama! There's always a learning curve.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

niccig
10-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Just wanted to tell you we had similar issues when DS was a newborn and we got through them by:

Triple Paste
Lots of naked time (on a couple of towels to absorb any pee)
Hair dryer on cool to make sure his butt was dry before we put the paste on. DS LOVED this.
Used hemp doublers with micro-fleece top layer with the kissaluvs or infant prefolds.
Changed a lot during awake time.

From about 2 months, for nights we used a disposable with a hemp doubler and a bumpy day cover. 9 months later we use hemp fitteds with an extra doubler during the day. For nights, we now have to use Huggies Overnights (size 3 is the smallest size), as our hybrid cloth/disposable combo wasn't working any more. Some kids are supersoakers and my little man pees while he sleeps.

Hang in there, you'll found a solution that works.

Nicci

calebsmama03
10-05-2005, 05:41 PM
I hated KL 0's! Not absorbant at all from day 1 for us. Grrr... Try some of what's been suggested here :)

For the bum, you got great suggestions for clearing a rash but wanted to give a nice natural suggestion for chapped bum, which is what my DD got often from oversoaked KL's - plain old olive oil. I'd put this on before using a burts bees type zinc ointment and the chapping went away. Zinc oxide is drying so it won't help with chapping - just acts as a barrier to help with rashes. If the chapping has gotten so bad that it's cracked (think dry hands in winter/cracked knuckles) go to Whole foods (or similar store) and ask for Emu Oil in the beauty section. This is a very emolient oil and it has super penetrating qualities, plus it helps to rebuild skin. It works wonders!! I use this plain - just pour a tiny amount onto my hand and rub in to moisturize - and the cracks are gone in a day. You can also put a zinc ointment over it as a barrier.
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

lizajane
10-06-2005, 06:40 AM
i could not use KL without a hemp doubler. i already loaned out the ones i had around (that i made) or i would loan them to you! i would recommend a hemp doubler that is fleece topped. you can then add another fleece liner on top of that for extra dryness protection.

for the FBs- they will leak poop. not much you can do about it now. but as for the wetness- you need a more absorbant insert. what are you using now? i would try a hemp insert. we didn't use small FBs- went straight to mediums- but a joey bunz and an infant prefold were the right combo for us at a few weeks old. my kids were both super soakers.

luvmykiki
10-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Wow! You all are such a great help! Thank you so much.... I'm very bummed about the kissaluvs.... I had high hopes for them..I'm having some luck with their (KL) 'booster' and the fleece liner but still soaking (also this is a lot of work!). Today I will try the CPF in thirds in the diaper cover...we'll see.
I use the cottonbabies microfiber insert with the FB which is definitely doing the job as far as the pee goes but the thigh just doesn't fit (also the insert stained after one use/wash...what's up with that???).! I tried the FB again last night and when I put it on her I could see it was definitely gaping at the thigh. I'm sort of going crazy with all this! I don't have any hemp... heard a lot of things about it 'stinking' so I didn't want to go there (i'm overwhelmed enough!) but now I think I'll have to try it! Any suggestions for which product??? This would be to help with the kissaluvs.... I think I'll have to wait for her to 'grow into' the FBs and use a diaper cover with them for now!
Her bum is better with the burt's bees but i'm definitely going to try that oil suggestion and or the maalox/aquafor or triple paste combos.... Ped recommended to get the triple paste if it didn't get better...she thinks her sore bum is related to her sitting in the poop more than the wet pee. I guess the poop is more acidic??

Final question for if I decide to lose the KLs altogether: Do you all have any suggestions for a 'pocket' or maybe an AIO that will FIT and is absorbant, trim and 'stay dry' type. I'm deciding that the fitted/booster/diaper cover is a PITA and esp in the middle of the night would like something with as few steps as possible!! Or maybe I should just wait until the FBs fit better and then stock up on them?
So sorry for all the questions but this is the most helpful forum I've ever posted to!!!!
THANK YOU!
~Susan

tbriese
10-06-2005, 09:22 AM
susan,

i really think that using the CPF and a cover are going to be your best option for ease, containment, not being too overwhelming, and cost. the folding techniques were pretty simple to learn. there are some websites with great pics of the folds...i just don't know what they are. i think the newborn link in CD 101 has some. maybe some other mama's have those links? i'll see if i can find one.

as far as overnights, i wimped out and just did sposies so i'm not any help there.

ktshea
10-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Triple paste, triple paste, triple paste! My DD is rash-prone (actually even gets rashes from the chemicals in 'sposies!) and we frost her little bum up like a cupcake then shellac it on with Aquaphor. Works like a charm. :)

As for the FBs -- ditto what other folks have said. We didn't have much luck with pockets or AIOs until around 5 months when she was eating some solids. Now, my DD was a poop-monster and managed to poo out of anything we put on her, but we had the most luck with prefolds and gussted covers when she was little. A snappi'd prefold really isn't difficult to do when they're little and not terribly squirmy. Here's a good link (with photos, which was key for me since I thought this all looked a bit too much like origami when I started out!) on how to fold/snappi a prefold, in case you want to give that a shot:

http://diaperpages.com/pf_folds.php

HTH a little. Good luck!

mudder17
10-06-2005, 11:28 AM
I second the suggestion about the snappi'd prefolds. They really aren't that difficult. As for having to do the fitted (or prefold) with a doubler and fleece liner, what you can do is put together a stack of them ahead of time. Then all you have to do is grab the fitted with all the necessary accoutrements and put them on her. Add the cover and voila, you're finished.

You can do the trifolding (or quad folding) of a prefold ahead of time as well, but if so, you'll just want to make sure you have a large number of covers (I would suggest nylon as the most breathable, but easiest to clean option--fleece is probably just as good, but most nylon covers are cheaper than most fleece covers) so that you can just toss the cover in the wash when poop gets on it. As the PP pointed out, snappi'ing is not difficult and it provides an extra barrier against leaky poop. Honestly, after Kaya outgrew the kissaluvs, we actually diapered her exclusively in snappi'd prefolds for several months (with doublers). It wasn't that difficult once you got the hang of it. And gusseted covers are just very cool. I did order a pair of the gusseted nylon covers from babykins, so I can let you know how they work when I get them.

And Kaya is rash prone, especially with acidic poop, but Aquaphor/Triplepaste/Mylanta is a great mixture for her rash. Tip: You can get a big tub of Aquaphor and Triplepaste from the pharmacy at Sam's or Costco (no prescription, they just store it inside) for a fraction of the cost just about anywhere else.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

niccig
10-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Totally agree with prepping the diapers before use. Once I get the diapers out of the dryer, I assemble the fitted diaper with the doubler/s and fold the diaper with the wings overlapping on the top, everything then gets stacked in the drawer. You jut grab one diaper, put it on and cover over the top. If I don't do this, DH can't work out what doubler goes with what and he comes up with very interesting combinations.

Ditto with Sam's or Costco for Triple Paste. The drugstore at the supermarket charged me $45 for 16 oz!!! I was desparate to get rid of the rash. Costco was $25 for the same size. It's a huge tub and lasts a long time. You can also get a smaller tube.

You'll beat the rash and figure out the best CDs for you. Hang in there, it does get easier.

Nicci