PDA

View Full Version : Medium vs. Large

shburks
10-05-2005, 06:13 PM
I bought ahead and already have a couple of size large dipes for my little guy because I got them at a good price on a swap! I had been using them occasionally when I got to the end of my rotation and they were a hair big but still fit OK. Yesterday I tried one and now it's just way too big! (Rise is pretty high, waist WAY too big and loose around legs even with velcro as tight as it would go.) DS is almost a year old and is getting more mobile and probably just "thinning out" a little. Seems like I keep reading that some babies don't get to larges or go back to mediums when they get older. Is it too early for him to be "thinning out"? Will we need these or should I try to sell/swap?

Susan

mudder17
10-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Well, Kaya did go up and down for a while around that age. She did hit the larges pretty solidly, but she started walking around 14.5 months and she is now mostly in mediums. However, she can still fit a large on the crossover snaps in a Bijou Baby ear, a Kindhearted Woman, and an Apronstrings fleece pocket (for nights, when I stuff with more). The Apronstrings large pocket is too big during the day, but the mediums are too short in the rise. A medium long would probably be the best sizing for Kaya for most diapers. She fits in a small and large for Sam's Fitted. Night time diapers are generally large and day time diapers are generally medium or medium long. An exception is
Tykie fitted, which can fit on Kaya on the middle to larger snaps--they run smaller than most "brands".

Kaya has definitely thinned out some, proportionately, but her thighs still go into chunky stages. I think it probably depends on the baby. Kaya has always been chunky thighed, so even though she's thinned out, she is far from a tall and thin baby.

As you can see, the sizing definitely varies from designer to designer and from baby to baby. Your DS sounds like he's in a thinning stage, but if he has always been on the chunky side, it's possible he'll chunk back up. But if he's mostly been an average sized baby, it's possible he'll thin up even more.

What are the types of diapers that you got? It might help to know what they are.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

new_mommy25
10-05-2005, 09:38 PM
My DS wore size mediums until he was almost two. Even now he wears his size large Bijoubabygear diapers with the tabs crossed and his size large Mudpies on the tightest snaps. He's a trim guy and wore his Sugarpeas size 1's until he was 15 months old. Personally, I like a diaper to be as trim as possible so I wouldn't put my DS into a too big diaper. You could always save them for nighttime and just add an extra doubler or two. Otherwise I would say sell them.

Nora
10-05-2005, 10:08 PM
My 23 month old is in a very awkward stage. Mediums are too short in the rise, OK everywhere else and larges are as a rule too loose in the waist and thighs. The Petite Toddler Fuzzi Bunz fit her the best of anything.

new_mommy25
10-06-2005, 02:44 AM
Nora, Mudpiebabies.com makes a medium long diaper that is awesome. She just had a baby so won't be open for customs for awhile, but you might be able to snap some off her Yahoo group.

There are a few other WAHMs that makes medium longs as well.