PDA

View Full Version : favorite prefold fold for newborn

mysweetboy
10-13-2005, 03:23 PM
I have my newborn stash washed and ready but don't really know what the best fold is for a newborn (I'll be using a snappi). I've searched here and the web and based on pics and instructions, think that the angel wing fold will work well. But I'd like to here from other experienced mamas here....what was your favorite fold for your newborn? Any advice is much appreciated!

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04
and a sweet baby girl due 10/05!

tbriese
10-13-2005, 03:58 PM
lori,

i primarily used the angel wing and the twist folds. diaperpages.com has some good pics and instructions. using the snappi is a piece of cake once you get the hang of it!

katydid1971
10-13-2005, 10:01 PM
I love the twist fold because it is so fast. I have used them all and I find different folds work better at different weights. Try them all and see what you like.
Sarah

momchi
10-17-2005, 01:19 AM
I use the jellyroll fold, and it's the only one I've stuck with. You place the prefold under baby, and with each side, you roll the edges of the prefold in, making sure that you roll "at an angle"...the portion under the bum isn't as rolled as the portion at the front. When I bring both sides up and over the crotch to fasten, I fan out the PF a little, and secure a snappi, like in the angel wing fold.

I like this fold so much! I'm in premium PFs and I've usually had to fold the back down an inch in order to get the whole diaper to fit in the BSWW I use. At 6 months, my DS is still pretty trim in his premiums, because the beauty of the fold is that you can simulate the bikini cut that's so favourable (ie twist fold) but still hold in all the explosive BMs and not get much of a mess when using the clean part of the diaper to wipe off the "excess".

Hope this helps!
Cheryl

mudder17
10-17-2005, 08:29 AM
I mostly used the Angelfold/Newspaper fold (not a huge difference here) and found they worked just fine for leaky newborn poop. Plus, they were fast and easy. I never quite got the hang of the twist fold, though. Tara's suggestion of looking at the diaperpages is a good one.

One thing: the twist fold always worked better when Kaya was outgrowing a size because it really cuts down on bulk and allows more material to wrap around. The other thing is that it's easier in the twist fold, when the diaper is too big, to fold it over in back and then twist the front and snappi. But I always liked the extra bulk in front because Kaya was a heavy wetter. So the twist fold didn't work that great for her. On the other hand, now that I think about it, when I was snappi'ing Kaya's prefolds in back (during her wanting to be on her tummy all the time phase), the twist fold probably would have worked great with the extra folded over bit in front. :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz