PDA

View Full Version : I miss you guys...He's Potty Training!

daisymommy
10-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Just wanted to give a little update for this who might be wondering where on earth I dissapeared to...Joshua is potty training! And doing a great job of it too, if I don't say so myself ;)

Last week I just got fed up with changing diapers all of a sudden, so cold turkey I took off his diaper and pants, left him naked from the waist down (wearing just a tee-shirt), and pulled the potty chair into the living room.

Now mind you, he has not EVER gone at all in the pottty. He really hasn't even wanted to sit down on it for more than 2 seconds because he never wants to stop playing long enough. I wasn't sure what would happen, but I didn't want to change any more diapers!

So, he proceeds to have 2 small wet accidents on the floor, but by the second time, you could see the light bulb click on in his little mind. And that was it--ever since then, if we are at home, he has gone in the potty (both pee and poop) every single time! I am amazed! They say that if you wait until a child is ready, it will be easier and you won't have the fight with them. I guess in Joshua's case that is very true.

We haven't begun seriously working on staying dry when we are out of the house shopping, I figure we'll master inside with underwear on and the potty in the bathroom, then work on being dry in public. But I am so proud of him for soming so far so fast. I can't believe the only diapers I'm changing lately are one at night and 1 pull-up when we are out and about. Woo-hoo!

I really needed this break before the next baby comes!

kijip
10-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Huge Congrats! Funny thing, I came to the exact same revelation late last week...just plain tired of diapers! So we took Toby's pants off and he has been using the potty and running around in a t-shirt only. We have been out of the house now twice, in training pants with no accidents- he even used the toilet at the grocery store. We are doing 2 dipes a day- 1 at nap and 1 at bedtime. The nap diaper is usually bone dry so I put it on him at night. Our big test will come tomorrow- training pants at school.

I hope that all continues to go well for both of us. What underwear/training pants are you using?

mommyj_2
10-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Congratulations! The only thing that sucks about no longer having a little one in dipes is it's harder to justify hanging out here. (not to the other moms, to to myself...LOL)

daisymommy
10-19-2005, 02:29 PM
When I do put training pants on him, I am using Gerber training pants...the one's that look like thicker underwear, with no waterproof outer. I have found that anything resembling a diaper, that holds all the wetness in, just doesn't work for Joshua. It's like permission to pee in it ;) The Gerber trainers will hold a small pee or just there will be a small leak with a larger one--enough to remind him not to use them as a potty!

kijip
10-23-2005, 09:23 AM
>When I do put training pants on him, I am using Gerber
>training pants...the one's that look like thicker underwear,
>with no waterproof outer. I have found that anything
>resembling a diaper, that holds all the wetness in, just
>doesn't work for Joshua. It's like permission to pee in it ;)
> The Gerber trainers will hold a small pee or just there will
>be a small leak with a larger one--enough to remind him not to
>use them as a potty!

ITA- we use only the Gerber ones and the Hanna ones since any water proof cover and the gig is up- he will go in them!

cilantromapuche
10-24-2005, 11:38 PM
From the previous post I see that you send him to school. Does he have accidents there? I just bought the waterproof ones because I didn't want him to have a million accidents at daycare. He actually goes really well but I put on his underwear under the training pant. Should I skip the thicker training pant?
I just realized that I could have PT him in May when he started telling me he had to go. What a great parent! (I actually was hoping to keep him in diapers until our trip to washington, d.c. in Feb. but he is just determined to get out of these diapers!)

Christine

mama to A (7/03)

kijip
10-25-2005, 02:22 AM
He uses a diaper at nap and field trips. It is a class of 2 year olds so they do bathroom time OFTEN- maybe more often than we do so he gets a reminder if he doesn't announce that it is time to pee so that keeps him on track.

That said, he has had 1 accident at school. I figure it will all work out in time! Sometimes a sub will stick him in a diaper since they forget he is training and one day he announced to me as we got home "Diaper OFF! Potty time!" He had a dry diaper and went right away.