PDA

View Full Version : What cloth diaper can you not live without?

ribbit1019
10-20-2005, 01:53 PM
This totally self serving, I'm doing some research, so any help is appreciated! I haven't seen a favorite diapers thread in a while. Preferences can change as babies and toddlers get older and when newbies appear(and I know you are out there!!) de-lurk and tell me about you favorite diaper and cover why you like it!

I personally have pretty much streamlined to FB and PF with Wool covers.

FB are a working moms dream! Of course there are quality control issues that they have. But for the most part I know I can count on them to be washed and dried every 2-3 days and are still in nearly perfect condition after 10 months of use. (a couple have staining and some stitching coming out at the waist)

I love the Pickle Pants! Pull ons for wool are a must for me. I love the drawstring and the ruffles, the knit is great, very easy to clean and lanolize. Though I like my Bijou and Aristocrats I much prefer the pickle pants.

Do tell Cding mamas!!

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

mudder17
10-20-2005, 02:23 PM
Pockets: med Snap-EZ fleece for fit and trimness, large FS apronstrings fleece stuffed with LJ night + Zannadu MF towel for night time

Fitted: L Benjamuffin Nightdreamer, L Very Baby Simply Night for night time. Sam's fitted for day and naps. Kaya fits both a small and a medium very well. Tied for second place during the day are my Kindhearted Women hemp and my Bijou Baby Gear basic hemp fitted. They are a little more trim than my Sam's, but not as cuddly or as absorbent. But adding a Sam's fitted doubler to them really boosts their absorbency without changing the trimness much.

Cover: Angeldry interlock wool (stretch) with front aplix. The aplix is like industrial strength so that Kaya has trouble getting it undone. It is probably my trimmest wool cover and works for both day and night. I have medium and large ones in these. For hanging out around the house or in warm weather for hanging around outside, I like the pickle pants. The aristocrats still work great for night time, especially if you have a bulky night diaper, but I really do love the Angeldry more. I'm also getting an Elbee Wooly Bully (dyed) and am looking forward to it! Stay tuned for reviews on this one.

Pocket fitted: I thought I'd add this, but I have only used it once, so I can't really tell whether I could live without it or not. I just got a Lullaby Dream (Shandelle's friend Katina) pocket fitted for night time and it is cuddly soft! With the insert + doubler, it's barely absorbent enough for Kaya, so I'm going to try the insert + a Sam's fitted doubler next time and see how it works. I'm also getting a couple Elbee pocket fitted (dyed OCV, yummy), but those will not be for night time. Stay tuned for more info on this category...

What am I forgetting? :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

todzwife
10-20-2005, 02:35 PM
For us:

LG FB are fitting perfectly right now, and before he grew out of them, our medium AIO's from www.lullabydiapers.com were our very favorites...but I need to get some larges because the mediums are tight.

As for fitteds, I loved our lullaby fitteds too, but he's grown out of them. Unfortunately all we have right now are a dz Lg. FB and a dz ME OS. :( Pretty boring, but it works!

nitaghei
10-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Our Babyblankets!! I got seven when DS was 14 months old, and they're still in great shape and DS is PT'g. And they fit. Perfect for daycare.

For covers - Angeldry stretch wool interlock - I just wish I'd tried this, and wool generally, sooner.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

almostamom
10-20-2005, 04:46 PM
For pockets - Swaddlebees. They are very trim and we've never had a leak/wicking issues with ours. Sadly, we just sold our mediums :( and are waiting to order larges.

For AIOs - Daisy Doodles. We've used these almost since day 1 (after Kissaluvs). I've had them in small, mediums, and now larges. Super trim even when you add a doubler or two, you can get front snap, side snap, or aplix so both DH (aplix) and I (ss) are happy!

~Linda~
DS 11/04

KrisM
10-20-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm going to have to go with Prefolds. Boring to most, but I love how simple they are. I don't have fit issues or sizing up issues or anything. They wash well and dry fast. Perfect.

Tori_s mom
10-20-2005, 06:42 PM
We're pretty new to CDing, but we still have some favs. We love our daisy doodle AIOs, very quick dry and easy for dh and grandma. I also love my little beetle lites. I'm working on knitting my own soakers, so I don't have any cover preferences. I ordered a kissaluv just to see how they are... :)

Tasha

Momof3Labs
10-20-2005, 07:38 PM
DS is officially boycotting cloth dipes (and mama is close to boycotting dipes PERIOD), but Baby Blanket pockets and FBs were staples in our diaper supply for a long, long time. When DS was tiny, we loved SP front snapping size 1 dipes. And Bumpy covers!

katydid1971
10-20-2005, 11:31 PM
I love the fuzzi bunz when we're out and about, quick and easy and 'sposie users are always impressed. At home I use mostly prefolds and Bummis SWW, they hold in the poo better than any other cover I've tried. Nights we've just started Benjamuffins with an Aristocrat cover, tonight will be night three, the jury's still out. The Benjamuffins are beautifully made but it took 6 weeks to get them.

Quick note: I HATE my little lambs, last time I buy something 'cause it's cheap.

Sarah
DS 5 months

RwnMayfair
10-21-2005, 12:01 AM
For fitteds, I can't live without our Righteous Baby fitteds. I love them, they're my favorite fitteds and they've held up exceptionally well. For pockets, are FuzziBunz, though I'll admit I never tried any other pocket diapers because these worked so well. ;) For covers, my favorite are the Celtic Wool Creation ones for Taran and the Righteous Baby covers are my favorite for Elowen.

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003
Elowen, August 20, 2005

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://b2.lilypie.com/jn4Ym4/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/slsgm4/.png

mommyj_2
10-21-2005, 02:48 AM
UCPFs are my favorite dipes
and Bummis whisper pants are my favorite covers. They lasted me forever, and even worked over training pants.

I have some fitteds I like, and some other covers I like, but PFs and whisper pants are my favorites. They fit forever, hold up well, and you can't beat the price.

lizajane
10-21-2005, 09:31 AM
i think i am going to have to go with motherease airflow covers. they fit over anything. they ALWAYS hold pee. and i am using recycled covers that have been through three kids. (got them from a friend with two kids and now dylan has been using them for about 7 months.)

i do LOVE my sugarpeas front size size 1 dipes. still fit dylan at 9 months.(rise is getting short, but still acceptable.)

fuzzibunz are a nighttime staple around here. no other pockets get us through the night. can't live without hemp inserts.

currently loving SP wool covers and bj's marketplace pull on soakers, too.

Puddy73
10-21-2005, 11:17 AM
I'd have to go with Mother-Ease Airflow covers. Boring, I know, but they are the only thing that always works for my heavy wetter. The only drawback is that they sometimes leave red marks on her thighs. I also love fitteds from Lucy's Hope Chest and Sugar Plum Baby and Snap-Ez pockets.

Sadly, DD has been throwing a fit lately whenever I try to put a CD on her. She only wants "Care Bear pants" (the Target brand pull-ups that she wears to daycare). I'm already past my due date, and I haven't had the energy to fight with her, so our fluff won't see much use until our little pumpkin finally makes his appearance.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." - Woodrow Wilson

stillplayswithbarbies
10-21-2005, 08:41 PM
Righteous Baby. These have held up the best, fitting her from 6 months when I started, right up to today with room to still grow some. They are absorbant, and still fairly trim.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

kitmama
10-21-2005, 09:03 PM
PFs. Boring, plain and simple, but they are the cloth dipe we can't live without.

For covers, Bumpy covers for baby and for littleman the Simon's Custom Cloth wool covers- though I like to always have a PUL cover on hand (no wicking when strapped in the car seat), and for those we use Bummis. For nighttime it's the 'Crats all the way- I don't know what we would have done without them when littleman was super-soaking at night.

Our can't-live-without fitteds are medium elbees (work great and STILL fit littleman well). My fave night fitteds are the Benjamuffins.

My favorite AIO/pocket dipes are FBs. DH's fave is the VB AIO.

niccig
10-22-2005, 11:39 AM
We just use fitteds here. Bijou Baby Gear fitteds and wool cover are the perfect combo. They're a great fit for DS and nice and absorsbent. I also like our pickle pants soaker and the soakers my mother knitted. For PUL covers, I prefer Bumby or the Nikky covers.

Nicci

kijip
10-23-2005, 09:21 AM
We are down to 2-3 dipes a day now. 1 at nap and 1 at bed and one for any long trips where I can't hassle with finding a toilet every 4 seconds. The rest of the time he is without pants or in underwear. This new fact changes my answer quite a bit! Before it was all FBs all day long with fitteds and wool or fleece for sleep. Now, I have been putting him in a fitted and wool or fleece cover for nap too. So our current fave diaper cover is our grey wool Loveybum. Diapers, I don't really care- the Loveybums and the rest of my meager stash of fitteds (Firefly, Cuddlebums) all work well under our Loveybums covers (like the Loveybums fleece covers a lot too). At school, his nap diaper is a FB and they keep him in a FB for fieldtrips.

calebsmama03
10-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Size 1 or 2?? Do tell! I've been meaning to try them!
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

stillplayswithbarbies
10-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Size 2. I started CDing at 6 months, so we went right into the size 2. They are awesome!

And they are not impossible to get like they used to be.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

tchrgrrl
10-24-2005, 03:08 AM
We are almost completely streamlined to full time FB for my baby and almost 3 year old. Medium and XL FB rule the roost here!

ribbit1019
10-26-2005, 10:10 AM
:D :D

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

cvharris
10-26-2005, 01:39 PM
We are using an almost all fuzzi bunz rotation here, with a few PUL AIOs added in. DS doesn't want anything to do with fitteds or wool anymore. It's amazing how picky they get when they are older!

Carolee
Mama to Ben (6/03)
It's a BOY! Baby brother due 12/18/05

caheinz
10-30-2005, 01:43 AM
Covers: We've been using Bummi's for a long time, and they've worked really well for us. Need to get some more larges, but the mediums fit a long time (and still fit to a large extent). (We have a couple of wool covers, and I can't get DH to ever use 'em -- and I'm not going to complain since he does most of the diapering!)

Nightime: Currently SnapEZs with LizaJane Baby inserts and microfiber towels. FB mediums fit well for a long time, but when the rise got too short, SEZs were recommended here. We have one FB PT (he wouldn't have fit into a large!), and it's nearly outgrown. Lots of room in the SEZs though.

Daytime workhorse: Prefolds with a hemp insert and a piece of fleece.

Morning fave: Froggy fleecer hemp prefold. Holds lots of morning pee! (We only have 4 of these total, hence the mainly morning use...)

Fitteds: My current fave are Little Beetles. Very trim and absorbent... Though, we've had Darling Diapers fitteds that have been fitting for... about 15 months now? I don't think she does diapers any more, though...

DS is still, and so far always has been, a long skinny boy... (consistently over 50% for height and under 50% for weight... which currently means that anything that's long enough for him is too wide... eg, most pants... there are several pair that fit better at home (cloth) than daycare ('sposies)...)

mainepotato
10-31-2005, 11:59 AM
For my newborn I just love Righteous Baby FLAMs! They're cute, absorbant, and they're a great fit for my girl with a big, round belly and skinny thighs. We've been able to wear them since her cord stump fell off at 4 days, and it still fits her on the tightest setting almost 3 wks later.

Our Sugar Plum Baby NB is equally nice, but it won't fit her as long. She's already on its loosest setting. Same with her NB Muttaqins - I have a bunch of them and love them for their absorbancy, soft velour, and affordability (a great alternative to KL0s, IMO), but she's almost to the loosest setting already. They are supposed to fit to approx 15 lbs and Claire is nowhere near that, though, so we'll see what happens as she grows and her body shape changes. Right now she has such a big, round belly, lol.

For Covers, I'm going to have to go with the Bumpy Nights. They fit great from early on and she'll be able to wear them for a long time. They seem comfy and well made, and they keep her clothes dry. I really love my Calico Baby Fleece Covers because they're soft and trim and breathe well, but we've had some compression wicking esp at night when she's lying on her back for hours at a time.

Yesterday I tried our Fuzzi Bunz Sm for the first time and they worked out great! I love how quick, simple and trim they are.

momo5
10-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Right now our Daisy-Doodles are our favorite AIO's and QDPies for fitteds. For wool it would be my only BaaBaaBottoms. Most diapers are fitting her weird right now.

tarahsolazy
11-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Fave AIO: FMBG (not really trim, but I love the fold-over elastic)

Fave fitted: Sam's, from Mom and Me Creations

Fave cover: Beccabottoms front applix wool that he's been wearing since he was 4 months old, still fits fine.

(I could have been completely happy with all prefolds and covers, too, we used PFs and Bummi's for a long time)

downwarddog
11-01-2005, 05:19 PM
It's been a year & this is what it has come down to:
Mostly M FBs. My DD is long & skinny, so some of her AIOs just don't cut it because they gap in the crotch (as gorgeous as they are!). I do love my BeccaBottoms french cut AIO though. Very trim! DH is only doing pockets, so we do have a few BBlankets too, but they always seem to wick out to her pants if I don't catch it early enough (she's a super soaker!). I still use her Kushies AIOs w/a fleece liner -- loved them when she was very young, very economical, & does fine for short periods (definitely not for a day out & about!).

For the summer I tried wool for the first time (thanks, Eileen!) & loved my sidesnap SP fitted w/the BJM soaker, or LHC cover, or Stacinator fleece cover. But we think it's a hassle to do all that with lots of layers of clothes so I think it's back to FBs for the winter.

I have a whole stack of L FBs in gorgeous colors just waiting to be used! But she's so tiny, I think she might PT before they see a diaper pail :-) Oh well.

We use 7th Gen sposies at night -- CDs just don't contain her for 12 hrs of sleep.
~Lenore
Mom to Acadia (Cadi), born 9/28/04;
YEA, MY CAST CAME OFF TODAY!

cjcolorado
11-02-2005, 02:50 PM
For a newborn: hands-down, Kissaluvs with a Bummis or Pro-rap cover
For older: Fuzzibunz, stuffed with a Sam's Club microfiber towel.
We use Sammy's One-size (from thebabymarketplace.com) as our day-to-day diaper with a Bummis cover, but, if we're going out, or I'm feeling lazy, I always reach for a FB! She has been wearing mediums since she was 6 months old (is now 15 1/2 mos.) and has only changed one snap setting since!