PDA

View Full Version : DS is showing potty interest--what is your fav potty?

DebbieJ
10-26-2005, 03:19 PM
A separate potty on the floor or an insert for the big potty?

Yesterday ds told me "poopy" so I went upstairs and changed his diaper. He was only wet. A few minutes later, ds and dh were playing and low and behold, ds had pooped. Wow--he told me he had to go!

So we're going to run with it. Where to begin?

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

DebbieJ
10-26-2005, 03:19 PM
A separate potty on the floor or an insert for the big potty?

Yesterday ds told me "poopy" so I went upstairs and changed his diaper. He was only wet. A few minutes later, ds and dh were playing and low and behold, ds had pooped. Wow--he told me he had to go!

So we're going to run with it. Where to begin?

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Momof3Labs
10-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Definitely check out the PT section on the toddler board. We like the Baby Bjorn insert the best since it doesn't slide around and has a good-sized splash guard (tried and hated the Cushie Tushie - I can lend you one of those, though, if you are curious). DS liked the idea of doing it like a big kid, whereas some kids are intimidated by the big potty. And I preferred the lack of clean-up with the inserts!

Whatever you do, though, don't bring your DS near my DS. I'm not really sure if he'll ever PT - maybe by college? Grad school? *sigh*

Momof3Labs
10-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Definitely check out the PT section on the toddler board. We like the Baby Bjorn insert the best since it doesn't slide around and has a good-sized splash guard (tried and hated the Cushie Tushie - I can lend you one of those, though, if you are curious). DS liked the idea of doing it like a big kid, whereas some kids are intimidated by the big potty. And I preferred the lack of clean-up with the inserts!

Whatever you do, though, don't bring your DS near my DS. I'm not really sure if he'll ever PT - maybe by college? Grad school? *sigh*

trumansmom
10-26-2005, 08:54 PM
It depends on the child. DS was baffled by the concept of a potty chair, but used an insert just fine. DD is tiny, so it will be a long, long time before she's able to climb up on a regular toilet, but has been very happy with her potty chair. She's peed in it a least twice a day for the past three days!

And Lori, FWIW, DS used the potty for the first time at 23 months. He wasn't potty trained until he was around 3 1/2. And even though we had a handful of setbacks, once he "got it" I really feel like he's had fewer accidents than my friends' children who potty trained earlier. Other than the incredibly stinky poops, I would rather change diapers than deal with accidents. KWIM?

Hang in there!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

Momof3Labs
10-27-2005, 09:28 AM
Jeanne, the rational side of me is trying to remember that. DS has been peeing in the potty since 18 months and pooping since 2 years or so. Just not consistently, and definitely not telling us first. I was so hoping for even a short break from diapers before #2 comes along, but I also don't want to deal with cleaning up accidents while hugely pregnant!

Ah, blame it all on the pregnancy hormones...

kijip
10-27-2005, 07:29 PM
We have 2 of the Bjorn potty seats that you use with your regular toilet (lucky enough to get them gently used) and love them. We also have the little plastic Bjorn potty seat with the removable insert/bowl. That is in the living room right now and Toby has dubbed it his "emergency" potty. For example he ran over there this morning in a real hurry! But mostly he uses the real toilet with the potty seat. I love them all.