PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Covers For Newborn

Alice523
11-01-2005, 02:29 PM
I've been lurking for a week or so while researching cloth diapers. We're expecting a boy on 11/30. My mom gave us a month of diaper service as a shower gift - it was the push we needed to commit.

Our service gives a discount on ProRaps, Bumkins, and Bummis SWW so that is what we'll start with. I'm wondering whether to order smalls or add some newborn covers. We anticipate a large baby. Should we get a few in NB size to be safe? I'm afraid they'll be a waste, but I really don't know.

Thanks! This board has been a huge help. I had no idea where to start.

lizajane
11-01-2005, 02:47 PM
get smalls. my 9.5 lbers couldn't wear newborns.

downwarddog
11-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Hi,
Congrats, first of all!

I agree with Liza, though look at your heredity, too! I was a chunky monkey & my DH was a string bean. Our DD was 7.7lbs & skinny, so she actually used a few newborn ProRaps I bought for a while before going onto the smalls. You can get them so cheap through a swap or on Ebay, it's not really a hardship to get a couple newborns. The BSWWs we had were smalls & I think I had one Bumkin in a small too, & all got lots of use! I like gussets though, esp. if you're using prefolds. HTH!

~Lenore
Mom to Acadia who just got her cast off today!

Alice523
11-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks! I placed an order.

RiaHannam
11-02-2005, 02:16 PM
If you already have newborns (have 4 just in case), go ahead and order smalls. I had large babies too (over 9 lbs) and they were in newborn covers for a week or two......

KrisM
11-04-2005, 01:04 PM
DS was almost 9.5 lbs and he wore newborns for about 2 weeks. It was nice to have the cord notch on Prowraps. I'm not sure how smalls would have worked for that. Other than that, smalls would be fine.

Rachels
11-04-2005, 06:16 PM
What are the best covers for a skinny-thighed newborn?

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

Alice523
11-04-2005, 07:20 PM
I managed to get 6 used NB proraps on craigslist from a woman who happens to live in my neighborhood. What good luck! Thanks for the help. I was worried about that possible period of time before smalls would work.

downwarddog
11-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Rachel,
My DD was so skinny, & the ProRaps were the best! Gussets help a lot, esp. if using prefolds. Our newborn stash were ProRaps, Bummis SWW & Bumpy Day covers with Kissaluvs 0 and UBCFs. Worked great!

~Lenore