PDA

View Full Version : Does "diaper rash" in girls involve vulvar redness and sensitivity?

Judegirl
11-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Don't worry - this is about dd, not me! I had her doctor look at it when she was much younger, and she wasn't concerned. She's very often especially pink between her outer lips, and she doesn't like being cleaned or touched there at all. (Barring a phase a few months ago, she's usually extremely easygoing about diaper changes, so it's an obvious difference.)

Sometimes it's better than others, but it's always been a little pinker than the rest of her skin, and it's very often super- sensitive. She has very light, sensitive skin, and very light coloring, both of which seems to have inherited from my MIL.

I'll ask the doctor again - but should I press the issue? Or is this typical, at least in Caucasian girls?

Thanks,
Jude

ETC typo!

Moneypenny
11-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Hmmm, well DD is often a bit red in that area as well, although she's not particularly senstive as far as I can tell. We did just have her to the doc because her pee started to really stink, so they checked her for a UTI and examined her for some other problems and she was just fine. DH took her to the doc and didn't think to ask about the redness, but I assume if it weren't normal the doc would have said something.

Does she get any open air time at all? Is there a strange odor or discharge? Do you use any product in her bath that could be causing irritation?

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
We made it to a year!

lilycat88
11-02-2005, 11:56 AM
I've mentioned the very same thing to DD's ped and another ped in the office as well (I was always in the office for another reason but mentioned it while we were there). She is *very* pink in those areas and sometimes she positively cringes when cleaned there. Both peds took a look and saw no reason for concern. Her ped said to not make any effort to clean that area with soap in the bath but otherwise said there wasn't a problem. So, we just sort of count on sitting in the water and a little *swishing around* down there to clean. We use fragrance free wipes. The other ped in the office just said that some girls were more sensitive than others and not to worry.

HTH

Jamelin
DD Susanna 6/29/04