PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for disposable diapers for newborns?

Marriedladytara
11-02-2005, 12:28 PM
I have NO clue where to start? Any advice?

pittsburghgirl
11-02-2005, 01:15 PM
We had the best luck with Pampers Swaddlers for DS when he was newborn (also tried Huggies, but those left gel beads).

My best advice, though, is not to stock up too much before your baby is born. My DS was 9 lb 6oz and didn't wear the newborn size very long!

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

set81616
11-02-2005, 02:11 PM
I agree you shouldn't stock up. My DS was 6 12oz at birth and 20 inches. His legs were skinny so he leaked no matter what diaper we put on him. After @10 days he didn't leak if we put the smallest size luvs and made sure they were really tight.
Shannon

Momof3Labs
11-02-2005, 02:11 PM
There have been some long threads on this in the past month or two - you might want to search for them. Bottom line is that every baby is different, and shape plays as much of a role in what works as size or gender. My 8lb, 4oz DS wore exactly one newborn size diaper - we went straight to size 1's since they fit so much better!

RiaHannam
11-02-2005, 02:14 PM
I agree with everyone above.
I do newborn foster care and so far pampers swaddlers and white cloud newborn are the best for most babies. Huggies LEAK consistently for me so I stay away from them! Luvs are also good.

andielib
11-06-2005, 08:17 AM
Every baby is different, but when my skinny-butt son was a newborn, Pampers Swaddlers were the only ones that didn't leak. They have lots of stretch in all directions so we could fasten them good & snug without worrying about cutting off his circulation.

We tried Huggies, Luvs and White Cloud and all of them leaked. After loads and loads of blowout laundry, we finally decided it was worth the extra $$ for the swaddlers.

My advice would be to buy the smallest package you can find of a couple different brands, or swap a few with another family, so you can find out what you like best. Nothing worse than getting stuck with a Costco-sized box of diapers you can't use.

Good luck!
Andie

overcome
11-06-2005, 07:15 PM
I agree about the Pampers swaddlers. Huggies leaked and didn't contain the poop explosions! Get a newborn size and a size one. If you don't use the N size, you could return them or give them as a gift to a new mom.

heidiann
11-06-2005, 07:30 PM
I agree with everyone not to stock up too much. my DD was 6 lbs, and the newborn diapers were too big. we did find preemie pampers at wal-mart that are working perfectly. Jillian is only 2 weeks old and all we have used is pamper swaddlers and they are working perfectly.

Heidi
DD born 10/20/05

new_mommy25
11-07-2005, 04:07 AM
We loved the Swaddlers. That's what they gave us in the hospital and we took the bag home. I had also gotten two packs of newborn Swaddlers at my shower so we used those too. When we ran out we were ready to move to size 1. (My DS was 8.2 lbs at birth). I tried the Baby Dry and hated those. They felt too plasticky to put on a soft newborn. (I use them occasionaly now and like them). The Swaddlers were much softer. I liked Huggies Supreme and White Cloud as well but still not as much as Swaddlers. I was sad when we moved into size 3. I think the Huggies ran a little smaller.

OTOH, my SIL hated Pampers. The only diapers that worked for her were Huggies. She was one of the lucky ones who could use the Huggies 1-2 from Costco without any leaks. I was always too nervous to buy a big box just in case I hated them!

aliceinwonderland
11-07-2005, 09:24 AM
I really, REALLy liked Pampers Swaddlers. tried (once) a couple of others, but these were by far the best. Not even the slightly cheaper Pampers Equivalent (Baby Dry??) was that good, either.

daisymommy
11-07-2005, 01:09 PM
LOVE-LOVE-LOVE Pampers Swaddlers! So cushiony soft and a great fit. Very time in my child's life, no matter how old he was, Huggies would always leak on him. LUVS and Baby Dry are okay, but I don't like the non-stretchy sides, and they aren't as absorbent.

If you go to the Pampers website, you can enroll and get lots of free coupons and samples!

tiapam
11-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Another vote for Swaddlers. I miss them!

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004