PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Dipe Recommendation for Heavy wetter

quinnsmom
11-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Hi All,

I am just experimenting in the world of cloth diapering and have some questions about a heavy wetter. DS is 15 months old and in the mornings and at night is a super heavy wetter. We have tried Harleyz, Cricketts, Mudpies, and Wonderoos.

The only diaper that hasn't leaked on us is Wonderoos and we have only used that at night with the big and small Wonderfulls inserts wrapped in a microfiber towel. This makes for a HUGE diaper - which DS doesnt seem to mind at night. But I was wondering if anyone had any suggestiosn for a daytme diaper that isn't as bulky/superstuffed. I kind of like pocket diapers - the others seem to take so very long to dry - pocket just seems more convenient for us.

DS has super chunky thighs too. I have been having a problem with red marks. I can't quite get the snapping/closure thing right where the diaper is snug enough on his waist but not too tight on his thighs.

Any suggestions? I am getting discouraged and just now stuck a disposable on him because they have never leaked for us.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

psophia17
11-02-2005, 01:34 PM
First question - how long are you leaving the pocket on your DS? My DS is not a heavy wetter (well, one day a week he is, but not usually), but when DH is in charge and leaves him for too long in the same diaper, he will leak all over the place.

What other inserts have you tried? I'm not familiar with the one you mention, but I've had really, really good luck with both hemp french terry and burley knit terry. The BKT is especially nice - it's a heavy material, but DS's tri-fold BKT stuffers are what I reach for when I know we're not going to change his CD for a while. I also reach for them on his crazy peeing days. Although the BKT is heavy, DS's pants still fit with a BKT stuffer inside. I'll also fold a narrow hemp doubler inside the BKT, which makes for a little more bulk, but not a ton.

Another insert I like is the motherease kind, for the one-size diaper. It's very trim, but very absorbent. I can put 3 or 4 inside a fuzzibunz before thinking DS's pants are going to be tight in the bum.

HTH, and keep us posted :)

quinnsmom
11-02-2005, 01:52 PM
I am changing him every 2 hours. Is this too long? I am still in the disposable diaper frame of mind - so maybe I need to change him more often...

We are using hemp inserts. Just the Wonderfulls and the Hemparoos. Are the Motherease inserts you like microterry? I saw two on zannadu.com but there are listed under "Doublers" - I am still not sure what the difference between inserts and doublers are...

Do you know where I can find a BKT insert?

Thanks!

mudder17
11-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Well, you *should* be able to usually go 2 hours without a leak, although 2 hours is probably the maximum you would want him in the diaper. That said, Kaya's pee pattern used to be unpredictable (well, I guess I just didn't pay attention) and some times I'd have to change after an hour and sometimes she could go 3 hours.

For inserts (and Kaya was/is definitely a heavy wetter), a combo of hemp and microfiber always worked better than either alone. You could try adding a microfiber towel to your hemp inserts and see if that does the trick.

Oh, and I do have some trifold and bifold BKT Snap-EZ inserts if you'd like to try them. I'm not using them at all these days and probably have more than I ever really needed. You're welcome to try them out and if you'd like them, you can buy them off of me.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

psophia17
11-02-2005, 04:02 PM
If you try and like Eileen's BKT inserts, I can hook you up with more. I recently got in a shipment of yards and yards of BKT...

daisymommy
11-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Joshua used to be a very heavy wetter, and still does have very chunky thighs :).
We used Happy Heiny's pockets (the solid colors only though, because almost all prints will wick thru). I put a MOE Microfiber insert plus one microfiber towel folded in thirds inside. That held for up to 3 hours! I bought these at www.lilbunz.com

I also loved FuzziBunz pocktes, which fit well, and never leaked. I used a Joeybunz hemp insert plus one microfiber towel inside. This too would last up to 3 hours.

Good LUck!

quinnsmom
11-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Do those offers to try/buy the BKT inserts still stand? Our Wonderoos leaked for the first time last night :( I had it stuffed with a Wonderfull and a microfiber towel trifolded. I guess we need something stronger.

I may just switch to disposables for night time - what a bad night we had last night! DS is usually a 7pm to 7am sleeper - but since his dipe leaked and he woke up in the middle of the night - he was then up every hour or so...felt like the old infant days!

If the mamas offering the BKT inserts are still available, could you email me?

Or does anyone else have any suggestions? For the best nightime insert combo - or really the best diaper (in your experience) for a heavy wetter - I am willing to try anything! (He also leaked during the day too yesterday ... :( ...I am getting frustrated!) DH keeps saying disposables are better - he NEVER leaked with those...Help!

Momof3Labs
11-14-2005, 10:25 AM
I know nothing about Wonderfull inserts, but IME hemp is much trimmer than microfiber and holds more pee. Have you tried a hemp prefold plus a Joeybunz or two? In DS's heyday, he needed a trifolded hemp prefold plus a large JB to stay dry at night, which I believe is a lot more than you are using in your nighttime dipe.

Is he leaking because the inserts are soaked, or because the diaper isn't fitting right at the waist, legs, etc? Those are two completely different problems.

mudder17
11-14-2005, 10:56 AM
NAK. The only pocket that we've used for night is a large (sized up) Apronstrings fleece pocket w/the LJ night insert (hemp) + Zannadu MF towel (the large 1). That combo of hemp&MF has served us quite well. I have also used the Snap-EZ BKT inserts with MF and that seems to work as well, but I really prefer the Lizajane's just because they're easier for me to stuff. :)

Otherwise, more foolproof is either a large Benjamuffin Nightdreamer or large Very Baby Simply Nights. I use an Angeldry Stretch Wool cover for both, but have also used the Aristocrat. Kaya drinks water throughout the night, so despite the fact that she's working on PTing, her night diaper is pretty wet in the morning (but it's getting better!). Anyway, she's been a super heavy night time wetter for a long time and these two diapers have always worked. I think the problem with pockets is that it's a one part system, unlike the fitted + cover. So you have an extra barrier for wetness. If you don't want to go the fitted route, though, you could try throwing an Aristocrat over the pockets. But as Lori said, check to see if the inserts are soaked. Is he outdoing the capacity of the inserts or is it just leaking out of the legs? If the legs, then you'll want to do the fitted + cover route or just try a different pocket.

Eileen

quinnsmom
11-14-2005, 10:56 AM
You know - I am not sure about the "fitting right" thing. I feel like I am almost making it too tight at the waist (I am used to the fit of a disposable diaper) The fabric around the snaps seems to pull a little bit when I snap it to fit around his waist. Although if I loosen it one snap it is too loose. And with all of the inserts it makes it bulky/tougher to snap. The leg part of the diaper seems to fit just fine. snug - but not too tight to make red marks.

Honestly - I have such little experience with this I couldn't tell you. I think I have it on him with a proper fit - but I have no experience to compare it to. Ineed a cloth diapering class!

I have 1 hemp prefold (Jamtots) that I got in a trade. I used that with a microfiber tpwel trifolded at one point and it leaked. I do have 1 JoeyBunz Hemp - maybe I should try your combo...

Momof3Labs
11-14-2005, 12:17 PM
You need to check the inserts after he leaks - are they soaked through, or only partially wet? If only partially wet, then he may be leaking because of the fit of the diaper, and different inserts may not change that.

rds989
11-14-2005, 02:42 PM
I'd also be really interested if any mamas want to unload some inserts. If they're still on offer, I'd love to hear from you.

Kate

quinnsmom
11-14-2005, 07:40 PM
>You need to check the inserts after he leaks - are they
>soaked through, or only partially wet? If only partially wet,
>then he may be leaking because of the fit of the diaper, and
>different inserts may not change that.

The inserts are soaked through up in front where he pees - but not always in the back. Should the entire insert(s) be saturated? Or since it is just the front - then this is the way the diaper fits? If it is the fit - then what should I look for...? A different kind of leg opening than the Wonderoos...

I am going to try the Benjamuffin Nightdreamer and large Very Baby Simply Nights. I am not going to giv up! I think DH is thinking I will - but I've got to solve the problem to change his mind. :)

Momof3Labs
11-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Try hemp. Hemp distributes the wetness to the entire insert, whereas the micro stuff only absorbs where it is getting wet. Better yet, put a hemp insert inside WITH a micro insert. The hemp distributes the wetness to the whole micro insert. My stomach-sleeping DS would wake up with hemp inserts soaked all the way around back, but no diaper leaks!

It could also be that your DS is peeing in one large quantity, in which case the inserts won't keep up and you will get a leak. Then you'd be better off with a fitted + good cover.

quinnsmom
11-15-2005, 09:16 PM
Is there more than one place I can buy a Benjamuffin Night Dreamer? I found the web site - but they don't seem to have much in stock. I checked the various FSOT boards too and can't find any FS.

Also - a wool cover will keep all of the wetness from soaking through to DS's clothes/sheets???? As a newbie - this just seems crazy to me! I feel like I need to put something like a little umbrella/raincoat on DS's bottom. When I think of wool I think of my school uniform from oh so long ago...hard to imagine that it will do the trick. But so many of you rave about them so they must work! ;)

Do you recommend the AngelDry wool cover over the Aristocrat?

Thanks!

quinnsmom
11-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Eileen,

I have another question about your nightime combo. :) When you use the VBSN or the Benjamuffins with the cover - do you add anything int here w/those fitteds? Or do you just use the fitteds w/the wool cover?

Thanks!

mudder17
11-16-2005, 04:57 AM
For the VBSN, one of mine has an extra doubler and the other one I add a Sam's fitted doubler. For the Benjamuffin, I use it as is. Fr both, I use either the Aristocrat or Angeldry cover. These days it's almost all Angeldry just because it's less bulky and not as warm. But it's getting cooler again, so we may pull out the Aristocrat again.

Eileen

mudder17
11-16-2005, 05:03 AM
It looks like she's stocking Benjamuffins weekly, so you may want to check there and the hyena cart.

Also, the best cover will not stop leaks if the diaper is not absorbent enough. So if you have a good fitted and a good cover, it should work very well.

I used to LOVE the Aristocrat over all covers because honestly, it was leak proof as long as the diaper was sufficient. Then Kaya went through a slimming phase and the legs of the Aristocrat (we were using XL at the time) would sometimes shift, allowing the diaper to peek through and we would get the occasional wicking. Sizing back down to the large Aristocrat solved that problem. But then I discovered that the Angeldry worked very very well (I use the wool interloc or stretch wool--I'm not sure which name it goes by) for nights (as long as it's lanolized). So we used those all summer. It's definitely more trim.

Eileen