PDA

View Full Version : Oxy Clean - What to do?

psophia17
11-04-2005, 05:24 PM
I've never used this before, but bought some on sale...what do I do with it in relation to washing hemp, FBs, and motherease one-size diapers?

Thanks!

calebsmama03
11-04-2005, 06:14 PM
You can use it along with your detergent BUT it can be tough on fabric so I'd only use it if there's a stain you're trying to oust. I've also used it for stink with some positive result. I'd do an extra rinse (if you don't already do one) just to be sure the stuff is full out of your dipes though.

OT but FWIW do NOT, I repeat, NOT ever do an Oxy soak (ala the suggestion of layette forum for stains) then try to "sun" your dipes for extra stain fighting power. I have 2 dipes and a doubler that are completely free of stains but got ripped to SHREDS during the next wash cycle! Literally they look like they were made of Kleenex rather than cotton fleece :(
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

squimp
11-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Why do you want to use it? Oxy clean can do really weird stuff to clothes, and I only use it when I have a stain that Zout won't remove. I have used Zout on stains on fleece, PFs and hemp, and it works really well and seems to cause no damage.

psophia17
11-04-2005, 07:32 PM
I bought it because during one of my first knitting projects, I did a really nice job but discovered at the end that the first half of the scarf was a different color than the last half - the first half had been the outside of the skein of yarn that I'd would into a ball, and the second half had been the inside of the skein of yarn. So the discolored part ended up right next to the bright white part. I bought the OxyClean in the hopes that it would take care of this - and was pretty sure I'd read that you could use it on CDs easily.

I only bought a small tub - I generally don't use anything harsh when I don't have to, but the scarf is so nice, just discolored. I guess I'll use the rest on DH's stinky socks :P

stillplayswithbarbies
11-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Petra, I just wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss. 36 pounds is great!

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

psophia17
11-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Thanks Karen :)

I appreciate all the support I get on the boards so much - I wouldn't have gotten this far without it.

Coolamber
11-04-2005, 11:44 PM
I use oxy clean in all my washes and have never had a problem with it. I think it works great on getting out stains. I always double rinse the clothes. I would try it on a few clothes and some with out to see if you like it.

squimp
11-05-2005, 03:12 PM
I have used it as a laundry booster, but haven't really noticed a difference. There's also a method where you can put some in the microwave with some water til it boils (I'll try to find a thread on this in RL), then pour it directly on set in stains. You want to leave some space at the top of the container, because it will bubble up. Oxyclean has hurt some clothes (fading in the spots where I added it), so I only use it in concentrated form as a last resort.

And yes, great job on the 39 lbs! You're an inspiration!