PDA

View Full Version : CD to-go gear...

aliceinwonderland
11-06-2005, 01:22 PM
So far I have not been this brave, and have used sposies when out and about. But I do not get to cloth diaper him enough as it is(DH and I are the only ones that do it), so I am thinking of taking the plunge.

Where do you put soiled diapers when on the go?? Esp. if you'll be out a few hours?? What about the smell factor??

Thanks so much

eri

tarahsolazy
11-06-2005, 01:40 PM
I use PUL wetbags, but you can just use gallon ziploc bags, too. I find that dirty CDs don't stink as badly as sposies, especially just pee dipes. I haven't had a poop on the go in forever, Forrest is pretty predictable. But if I did, I'd dump whatever was dumpable into the toliet, and then into the wetbag.

I have wetbags from www.tykiediapers.com which I like alot, which have zippers, and a drawstring one from Bummi's I don't remember where that one came from.

pritchettzoo
11-06-2005, 01:41 PM
A plastic grocery sack has worked for us.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

psophia17
11-06-2005, 01:43 PM
I bring plastic grocery bags along, and fill them up as needed, twisting the top of the bag as best I can with each round. I also make sure to prep each CD for the diaper pail at home right away - unsapping snap-in soakers, unstuffing pockets, whatever is necessary, so that I don't have to deal with the same diaper more than once.

I have been lucky, and DS tends not to poop except at home, but when he does I roll up the CD so that I can dump the contents with minimal fuss at the earliest opportunity. If he's wearing a pocket at the time, I take the stuffing out, so that it doesn't soak up anything extra.

Except for long car trips and on high-pee days (which DS has once a week or so), DS is always in CDs, and this has worked since we started CDing at his first birthday.

mudder17
11-06-2005, 02:00 PM
If Kaya poops while we're on the go and a toilet is available, I'll just dump the contents in the toilet and shove the diaper in the wetbag (or ziploc or grocery bag). Sometimes, the facilities are such that I can even rinse off the diaper, but otherwise, I don't worry about it and take care of it at home. Occasionally, although this has been a long time, she'll poop while we're not near a toilet and I'll just wrap the whole thing up and shove it in the bag. It's really not that bad and I take care of it when I get home. For pee diapers, the smell is not really much of a factor at all. We're getting ready to go on a plane trip across the country and I know Kaya will probably produce both, although we're definitely hoping some of it will go straight in the toilet--it should be interesting comparing this trip to past trips when she wasn't interested in using the potty. My guess is that in some ways it'll be easier because we don't have to carry quite as many cloth diapers with us, but in other ways it'll be harder because I have to take her to the potty several times. I'm seriously thinking of just putting her in panties with a doubler or two from MomandMe just to make it easier to take her to the bathroom. But I digress. ;) It's not that big a deal--the only thing is that you do want to remember to bring a grocery bag, ziploc bag or wetbag for your dirty diapers. And of course you want to bring a few cloth diapers with you. But otherwise it's pretty much the same. I assume you already bring grocery bags or other garbage bags to put sposies in before you toss them in the trash? Well, you can use the exact same bags if you don't want to invest in a wetbag.

HTH!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

aliceinwonderland
11-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks so much...

I have no ziplocks that large, but will use the grocery bags for now.

Petra, OT, but I am constantly amazed at your success with the weight-loss!! Coming from a person who has tried (unuccesfully) to go from 150ish to 130ish in over a year! You go girl!!

psophia17
11-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks Eri :)

I appreciate the support from the boards so much - you have no idea!

aliceinwonderland
11-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Well,, you are an inspiration actually. And I don't use the word lightly! You *must* post before and after pics!!

KrisM
11-06-2005, 07:51 PM
If I think DS has even the smallest possibility of pooping on the go, I put a paper liner in the diaper. Then, it just gets dumped in the toilet. Very easy.

Give it a try. You'll probably find it isn't as scary as you think.

tbriese
11-07-2005, 11:26 AM
eri,

i just use a PUL wetbag. we mostly get wet dipes while out but even with BM i just put the dipe in the wetbag & deal with them at home. for me, it's not any different than having to deal with the dirties that get sent home from the sitter as she just puts them in the wet bag as is. i don't feel like the smell factor is any worse.

daisymommy
11-07-2005, 01:14 PM
My two tips are:

1. Use AIO's or pockets on the go. That way you aren't messing with so many peices. Quick and easy in a public bathroom!

2. I like the Sassy brand little blue powder scented diaper trash bags for used diapers. You can get them at Walmart or Babies-R-Us.

Oh! I forgot to add that while you can bring cloth wipes with you, I always forgot they were in the diaper bag, and they'd get all musty smelling (because I pre-wet them). So then I started just bringing disposable wipes with me, which you can throw away or roll up with the used diaper and toss into the wash!!! Yes--seriously, you can wash dispoable wipes, dry them with the laundry, and pick them out later.

tribegirl3
11-10-2005, 07:22 PM
I have a mini wonderbag from www.happytushies.com I keep a clean CD on one side and wipes on the other side. The dirty dipe can go in with the wipes. She uses procare so it's waterproof and smell is no issue. It's about the size of a dipees and wipees case. LOVE it!

Angie

julieakc
11-11-2005, 01:56 AM
I've used CDs on DS since he was born both at home and when we're out and about. I use a diaper service so I don't even have to dump poop out at home so I don't worry about it when I'm out either. I carry the little blue Sassy diaper bags as a pp mentioned; they are lightly scented which I suppose helps although I've never had an issue with smell. By the way I resuse the bags several times before tossing so I know the scent isn't completely masking any odor issues by the time I throw the bag out.

When DS was very small it would not be unusual for me to have 4-5 wet diapers by the end of a full day out. Now, it's rarely more than 2 since he stays dry much longer now.

I also travel with CDs (we've only gone places where we drive so far) and I just toss the dirty ones in a grocery bag or trashbag.

I really don't know any different since it's all I've done, but it's been so easy I have no complaints.

marinkitty
11-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Eri - When we go out with cloth I usually use my trimmest dipes so the diaper bag isn't flowing over, bring a PUL wetbag (cannot for the life of me remember where I got them but I have two) or a Bags on Board if the PUL ones are dirty, 4 wipes and a peri bottle that I fill with water before I leave the house. It really isn't that bad (and other than poop that rolls off I leave the poop for my minishower to deal with when I get home).

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)