PDA

View Full Version : Considering CD'ing - lots of questions!

rds989
11-08-2005, 02:56 AM
My dd is almost 8 months old, and I'm considering switching to cd's, at least in part during the day, for a few reasons: I'm curious what the fuss is all about, she has MUCH neater poops and is a lighter wetter than my ds was, and she had undiagnosed reflux for her first 3.5 months (a long, terrible story) so now I'm a total sucker for anything that makes her feel comfy-cozy. :)

At any rate, my head is spinning. I have a lot of questions:

1. I'm thinking of going with pockets, because they seem easy but maybe are easier to get clean than AIO's. And I'm not great at laundry. I have Snap-Ez trainers for my son, and think Ruth is the greatest to work with, but does anyone else have experience with Snap-Ez? Or opinions on other brands?

2. What to stuff the pockets with, assuming a moderate wetter? (And - this sounds so dumb! - do you change the whole diaper each time, or just the insert?)

3. Anyone have negative opinions about using pockets?

4. What's the washing routine with a front-loading machine? And what kind/amount of detergent should I use?

5. Fleece vs PUL? Is fleece too hot in warm weather? Is PUL breathable at all? (She hasn't had rash trouble in 'sposies yet.)

6. Why do you use cloth? Why should I? (Aside from the obvious environmental benefits.)

Thanks SO much for your input - I *really* appreciate it!

Kate
Mom to Teddy (8.19.02) and Susannah (3.11.05)

mudder17
11-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Welcome! Hopefully we can make this transition easier for you and lots of fun!

>1. I'm thinking of going with pockets, because they seem easy
>but maybe are easier to get clean than AIO's. And I'm not
>great at laundry. I have Snap-Ez trainers for my son, and
>think Ruth is the greatest to work with, but does anyone else
>have experience with Snap-Ez? Or opinions on other brands?
I love Ruth and her pockets, both fleece and PUL. I've sold off all my PUL pockets, though, because of the breathability issue. However, I would readily recommend her solid color PUL pockets (prints in general are more prone to wick). Her work is topnotch and of course her CS is wonderful. The only downside is that she's a bit more expensive than other pockets. I've also used the fleece apronstrings pockets successfully for my chunky thighed DD. These are a bit bulkier than the Snap-EZ, but part of it is that I have them in polar fleece. My SEZ ones are windpro fleece, which is trimmer. But the style of the SEZ IS also a bit trimmer. She makes them with both suedecloth and fleece inners. Apronstrings can come in side snap, front snap and front aplix. I think they are all fleece inners. Baby Blankets never worked well for my DD, but I think they work better with skinny thighs. Otherwise, I really did like them a lot. They are suedecloth inners and front aplix. Happy Heiny's are front aplix and seem to work well for some people, but I've never tried them. I think they are fleece inners as well, but someone can correct me on that. Fuzzi Bunz are a super popular choice around here and work for the average shaped baby as well as skinny babies. They only worked for DD for a very short time, possibly because of her chunky thighs. Of all of these, the SEZ fit DD the best and I can see them working for a wide variety of shapes and sizes (in terms of kids). She has also a nice overlap between the sizes so that you don't have a gap when you size up (or down). But as I said, they are more expensive than the others. For me, they were worth the investment, although I also got them long ago before they were so pricey. Still, with a next baby, I can see myself getting a couple more fleece ones.

>2. What to stuff the pockets with, assuming a moderate
>wetter? (And - this sounds so dumb! - do you change the whole
>diaper each time, or just the insert?)
You change the whole diaper each time. I just pull out the inserts and dump the whole thing in the diaper pail. Kaya is a heavy wetter, so I use a combo of a lizajane night (hemp insert) + a microfiber towel. But for a moderate wetter, I would suggest a JB or LJ day wrapped in a MF towel.

>3. Anyone have negative opinions about using pockets?
When poop is leaky like in the case of illness, they aren't my first choice. I also like the ability for Kaya to go coverless in a fitted. Plus, with fitted, I can use different covers for variety. But other than the leaky poop issues, pockets are nice and convenient.

>4. What's the washing routine with a front-loading machine?
>And what kind/amount of detergent should I use?
It really depends on the type of water you have (hard or soft). We have medium water and I usually do a cold rinse to get rid of all the poop, then I'll do a long hot wash/2 cold rinses with detergent or detergent + calgon, then a normal hot wash/2 cold rinses with either nothing or occasionally vinegar or Downy Advantage (tiny bit) in the detergent cup. But I tend to tweak it now and then.

5. Fleece vs PUL? Is fleece too hot in warm weather? Is PUL
>breathable at all? (She hasn't had rash trouble in 'sposies
>yet.)
I suspect that PUL will be fine for your daughter since PUL is more breathable than sposies. However, PUL was a definite no-no in warm weather for DD. For outside in hot weather, I did not use fleece, but I did use fleece pockets for DD at night, even during the summer. I also used it when we were out and about and were mostly in an air conditioned place.

>6. Why do you use cloth? Why should I? (Aside from the
>obvious environmental benefits.)
Well, this is all personal. My reasons are it's more comfy (hence, I've switched to mama cloth), it's very cute, and fun (yes, it's kind of a hobby), and it makes me look forward to diaper changes with the next cute diaper. :) If you do a search for why use cloth (use the AND search option) in this forum, you should see at least several threads on the subject with links to various websites. As for why you should use cloth, again, that's a personal thing. But if you want her to be comfy cozy in something cute, this is perfect. :)

HTH!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

ribbit1019
11-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of coth diapering, very good questions, I can help answer some of them...

1. We use fuzzi bunz, we had used them since DD was born and they were the most accessible to me. I trust what I know so she is in FB most of the time. No opinion on Snap-ez, but I hear they are a good dipe.

2. I stuff my FB with MOE inserts and microfiber towels that I got from Target. I prefer the towels because they hold more and are fluffier. Yes, you change the whole diaper every time.

3. The only thing that sucks about pockets for me is shaking/pulling out the insert for the wash. I have major poo issues though. And most diapers are cleaned off before they get to the wash now because her poo is "neater"

4. I have a top loader, sorry.

5. PUL is not very breathable, but it is more so that disposables. Fleece is more breathable than PUL, DD's butt is happiest in wool, but we only do wool on the weekends because it is too complicated for us during the week. DD was in her FB all day at MIL's non-A/C'd home all summer and did o.k. We had some rashes, but I think this would have happened regardless of the diaper.

6. I love that she has a comfy butt. There is tons of cute fluff out there and it is addictive to buy. At this point I guess I could call myself a moderate addict, if I had more money then DD would be swimming in cute diapers. Not that this has anything to do with you, but I can't stand sposies, the smell, the tabs that tear off too easily, blow outs, manufacturing issues I have had with a couple of brands and the crunchy noise when she walks all turn me off. Not to say she hasn't been in disposables, because she has. The majority of her diapering days have been in cloth though.

I've spent about $550 on diapers for DD who is 17 months tomorrow. Estimating $60/month for disposable diapers so far I have saved about $470. I think overall I have spent around $50 for a few packs of disposables which I did not figure into that. Saving $ is super important for my household.

You should do cloth because you want to though, not because of pressure. Yes, I would rather see everyone save some landfill space, but that just isn't realistic. In the long run the more work for me is just the laundry, I prefer doing laundry every couple of days to taking the trash out every night.

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Preggo_Pals/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=0

american_mama
11-10-2005, 11:57 PM
I love pockets! I think they are really convenient, just stuff and do the velcro tabs just like a disposable. Great for the diaper bag or less committed DHs, friends, or family who might change your child. Pockets wash fabulously and dry in minutes. I do not like fitteds and a cover, which seems like putting on a diaper twice to me, and picking two items out stresses me rather than making it fun. With pockets, I can have just as many nice colors and cute patterns, and those colors and patterns are never covered up by a cover.

2. What to stuff the pockets with, assuming a moderate wetter?
My DD is a moderate to light wetter. I use all kinds of inserts, but my two favorite are a JoeyBunz, which is really thin and absorbs enough for my light/moderate wetter, or a simple prefold trifolded and stuffed in a pocket. Preemie prefolds will fit in some small pockets (like Happy Heiney's or Harleyz Dipeez), and infant prefolds (green trimmed ones... maybe those are regular's?) fit in all my other pockets (med Baby Blanket, small Fuzzibunz, med Happy Heiney, small Angel Dry, med Angel Luvz).

How big is your DD? If you want my opinion on any of the pockets listed above, just reply to this email.

3. Anyone have negative opinions about using pockets?
The only bad thing is that you have to use a new pocket and insert with every diaper change. With a cover and diaper, you could just change the diaper and alternate two covers the whole day, letting each cover air out between a change. Nevertheless, I do use covers too, and I always feel better using a new cover at every change.

4. What's the washing routine with a front-loading machine? And what kind/amount of detergent should I use?
I use Tide Free and Clear, somewhere between 2 tablespoons and 1/4 of a cup. Rinse diapers in a cold rinse, no soap to remove poop and rinse out pee. Then do a long hot wash with detergent. Then an extra rinse with no soap. Sometimes I do another rinse if I think the diapers have been hanging on to odors.

5. Fleece vs PUL?
My DD does fine in PUL. She is not prone to rashes, although she has had some. I haven't really tried fleece yet.

6. Why do you use cloth? Why should I? (Aside from the obvious environmental benefits.)
I switched to cloth because of 1) wanting to keep diapers out of landfills 2) curiousity and 3) thinking of it like breastfeeding. It's been around for centuries, but we somehow thought that a modern technical solution (like formula or disposables) was a better solution, in some cases without ever investigating the tried and true method. Since moving, we pay for trash pickup and I alos like knowing that disposable diapers aren't pushing us over our one can a week limit (or else we have to pay more).

I will say that trying to match the performance of a disposable does give me great appreciation for the technology in those diapers. I like disposables and appreciate how well they work on DD and how fast I can change her in and out of one, but cloth diapering is fun, cheaper, good for the planet, and makes me feel good.

pittsburghgirl
11-11-2005, 03:42 PM
We started CDing when DS was nearly 12 months. We aren't full-time but still do use them in conjunction with sposies.

1. I had a couple of SEZ, but they just didn't fit DS as well as the FBs. So my pocket stash is FBs, they have been super-reliable for us and they are very easy to get (instock). Several places include inserts with the diaper when you buy them.

2. I don't like hemp, have had issues with stink, we have had great luck with the Cottonbabies microfiber inserts. They are much more absorbent than the MF towels you get in the auto section, I have never had a leak.

3. Definitely can be tough with runny (sick) poop. We tend to use sposies for that.

4. Can't help here, we don't have a front-loader.

5. We don't have a problem with PUL, I had a fleece pocket which I could use when it was warmer but not when it was super-hot.

6. I got interested from reading these boards; the dipes are so nice and soft and it's fun to pick out something to put on DS. It's easy to get carried away, though. I have done so and am now in a position where I have to sell lots of my stash, which can be a bit challenging if it's not in high demand.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

lizajane
11-11-2005, 04:00 PM
>1. I'm thinking of going with pockets, because they seem easy
>but maybe are easier to get clean than AIO's. And I'm not
>great at laundry. I have Snap-Ez trainers for my son, and
>think Ruth is the greatest to work with, but does anyone else
>have experience with Snap-Ez? Or opinions on other brands?

i love ruth at snap-ez and i love the fit of her dipes. for some reason, the didn't work for schuyler at night (very heavy wetter) even when FB's did (using the same inserts.) so i don't know what that is all about. but if you have a moderate wetter, you should be fine. i think the workmanship is excellent, the price reasonable and the customer service is fantastic. they fit my tall skinny guy like a dream. BUT the mediums did not last very long on dylan. the rise was waaaaaaaay too short for him after a very short amount of time. he is only just now starting to fit into schuyler's old larges, but he can wear them.
>
>2. What to stuff the pockets with, assuming a moderate
>wetter? (And - this sounds so dumb! - do you change the whole
>diaper each time, or just the insert?)

since i make inserts, i think it would be better not to answer this question.
>
>3. Anyone have negative opinions about using pockets?

just leaking runny poop or the occasional wicking at the leg. didn't have that problem with FBs, but i did with snap-ez. and expense, i guess.
>
>4. What's the washing routine with a front-loading machine?
>And what kind/amount of detergent should I use?

i have a top loader. i think tide is best.
>
>5. Fleece vs PUL? Is fleece too hot in warm weather? Is PUL
>breathable at all? (She hasn't had rash trouble in 'sposies
>yet.)

PUL should be fine. and cheaper. and less bulky. and more bullet proof.
>
>6. Why do you use cloth? Why should I? (Aside from the
>obvious environmental benefits.)

i use cloth because it is better for my world, my baby and my wallet. i do not use it because it is cute, but that is an added benefit that i enjoy. i started with prefolds and proraps only for schuyler and added pockets for nights/outings. i got dylan some used cute things because i saved so much by reusing schuyler's dipes,i felt justified! i think being able to use the same dipes for the second kid is WAY cool. and i will loan or give them to another baby or two even if i don't choose to have another.

you should use cloth because it will save landfill space. it will cost you less. it will show anyone who sees that cute bum that we can all make a difference if we just TRY.

:)