PDA

View Full Version : New to CDing - diaper rash issue

quinnsmom
11-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Hi All,
DS has had a diaper rash for a while now. I can't quite figure it out. I have monitored his diet - even had our Ped. check it out at his 15 month well appt.

We have been using disposables since DS was born - but switched to cloth diapers about 2 weeks ago. The rash has pretty much stayed the same - even after the switch to CDs. (We're using Wonderoos) I was really hoping to see a change. The neverending rash was what pushed me over to the CD side since reading that cloth diapers were much better for his bottom. I have used Desitin and Boudreaux's (with liners) and his little bottom is still all red and irritated.

Perhaps he has a senitivity to the suedcloth? I think that's what Wonderoos are lined with...

Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

pittsburghgirl
11-11-2005, 09:00 PM
When DS has a persistent rash, I use a home-brew cream -- mix Maalox with Aquaphor. Not a lot of Maalox (not enough to be runny) but I'm not sure of the exact proportion.

Is the rash red bumps? That can be a yeast infection... for that I use Monistat cream, which clears it right up.

It's possible he has a sensitivity to the suedecloth, but since he had the rash before, it seems like something else is going on.

You also might try giving him some air time, maybe right after a poop, or if you have an easy to clean floor. Are you changing him as soon as he is wet? He could just be super sensitive to wetness.

That's all I have for now, hopefully someone else will chime in with other suggestions.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

niccig
11-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Triple Paste works for DS anytime he gets a little red. I frost his behind after every BM, and he really hasn't had any rashes in months. Buy it at Costco or Sam's club to save $$. I think I paid about $25 for 16oz and it's lasted months.

Lots of air time

When DS had a persistent rash I air dryed him after every change - hair dryer on cool setting. He loved it, and would lift his legs and smile. DH says I'll have to explain it to future girlfriends.

Maybe it's the wipes. Try using cloth wipes with just water. Dab don't rub so the rash doesn't hurt.

Baking soda in a warm bath.

Has he had any new food or more of something than usual? I think acidic food like tomatoes or citrus can make some babies have acidic poop.

HTH.

Nicci

quinnsmom
11-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the advice Ladies. :) I have tried air drying him - and this always seems to help. But of course, he inevitably pees on the floor! Every time he does it I just stand there and laugh - it looks so funny! (He's lik a little fountain:))

The only new thing that I fed him was grapes. We don't give him grape juice - so he isn't used to it. I decided to cut up some grapes to see if he likes them - and he loved them. I stopped the grapes though to see if that is what it was.

And the rash is just a flat red area. The Ped. said that its not yeast - just irritated.

I'll try your suggestions and keep on trying - Thanks again. :)

niccig
11-13-2005, 04:42 AM
Michelle,
After I posted I changed DS and he has his first rash in months. He's teething and pooping 4/day, up from once. I think the extra activity has caused the rash. Could your DS be going through something similar?

Nicci

quinnsmom
11-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Well - he is definitley teething (molars!) and yes, come to think of it, he is pooping a lot more latley.

BUT - I just took him to urgent care last night because he was acting really cranky and just not himself - and he soudned terrible - like he had a frog in his throat. Turns out he has croup - poor little guy! He has had a cold (on top of the teething) for awhile - just about as long as he has had the rash and now he's got croup - so he is a mess.

After he is all better I am going to re-evaluate his rash. I didn't even think that the rash was related to all of these things until you pointed it out...Funny how we never see what is right in front of our faces sometimes.

Thanks! :)

chiqanita
11-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Okay ladies you're describing my situation exactly!

My little guy has been teething (molars!) for a couple of weeks now. It seemed to have slowed down but then started up again last week. He has been pooping quite a bit...very loose and strange color. He's drooling like crazy and he's hoarse. He was getting over a cold or flu...not certain which but my hubby had the flue recently so I guess it's the flu. Anyway, he does have a cough. I'm calling the doctor tomorrow.

Bad thing is I have twins and they're both going through the same thing...we're not sleeping much and I am soooo exhausted with all of the up and down trips to the changing table. Did you know toddlers can't stand to be still for even a diaper change?

What did they do for the croup?

For our rash I was using Balmex and A&D but it wasn't helping. I requested some help from the ladies here and yesterday I started using Triple Paste, Aquaphor and some corn starch for good measure. After our poops we sit in the tub for a little bit then air dry. We still have the rash but it isn't so bright red.