PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to CDing and have a question about Kooshies!!!!

heidiann
11-13-2005, 10:48 PM
I mentioned to my sister that I was interested in CDing my daughter who is 3 weeks old. I have been doing some research here on the boards but never went out and purchased anything yet. My sister's friend from work has lent me some diapers to try out.
These are aio's I believe ( i know i told you i was a newbie,lol..)
they are called kooshies, are these ok to use for a newborn?? i would assume that they are since the weight on them says 4-11 pounds.
has anyone used them, and what do you think of them???

How do you wash them? I read all the posts in the CD101 so do i just follow those post with the rinses and soaks ect??? it never specified if it is ok to do with aio's???

thanks in advance for all your help, i really would like to cd my daughter but i need a little help from all you wonderful mommies!!

heidi
Jillian born 10/20/05

mudder17
11-14-2005, 12:37 AM
Okay, first off, welcome and congratulations!

Kushies are the AIOs that my friends have used to diaper their twins since they were newborns. So yes, they do work with newborns. However, their kids were both half formula fed and half BF'd, so their poop was actually more pasty and not nearly as leaky as BF'd poop usually is. My daughter's poop actually leaked out of pockets (which are more like AIOs) even at 5 months! So AIOs don't tend to work as well as containing leaky poop explosions. In general, you want a two-part system like prefolds + covers or fitted diapers + covers because whatever the diaper part doesn't contain, the cover (better with gussets, which are an extra fold of material around the legs) usually does. I think with a two part system, I never actually got poop on my DD's clothes, except for the few times when there was user error and two of those times were with diarrhea.

However, that said, you do have these diapers and it might be worth trying to see if it might work with your daughter. Your wash routine will depend in part on whether you have hard or soft water, and front loader or top loader. But I usually do a cold rinse to rinse off any residual poop and rinse out a lot of the pee, and then a long hot wash with the minimum amount of detergent (with or without sportswash) and two cold rinses, + a second hot wash (short or medium) with two cold rinses, either without nothing or with vinegar or Downy Advantage. The Vinegar or DA is only on those occasions when I think my diapers are getting a bit crunchy (I use a lot of hemp, which are not in Kushies and they tend to stiffen up over time). In any case, I generally do a second cycle with no detergent to make sure all the detergent is washed away. Then I dry on medium and then hang to dry the rest of the way. I generally would not recommend the soak option for top loaders as the few times I used a top loader and did a soak with my diapers, I ended up with stains for some reason! And I really don't think it's necessary if you rinse off your poopy diapers before tossing them in the pail (I use a minishower but lots of people do the dunk and swish method). Anyway, I hope this gives you some idea and at least one point of view. :)

Good luck and ask more questions!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

heidiann
11-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Eileen,

thank you so much that helps tremendously. I am really excited about cding so i think i'll give these kooshies a try and see what becomes of it. I'm sure i'll be here a TON asking questions until i get the hang of it. i've been spending alot of time in 101 reading post and that has helped alot I must say.

thank you again,
Heidi

Jillian born 10/20/05

mamicka
11-14-2005, 12:25 PM
I really like me Kushies AIO for my 6-month old. We've been using it for a few months now & he's still not on solids. But his poops are much less frequent now so if we do get any leaking its not a big deal. The wash instructions should have come with the diapers - at least they did with mine. I just throw them in with all the diapers, wash on hot & extra rinse.

Allison