PDA

View Full Version : Can some kids just not wear cloth?

dowlinal
11-18-2005, 12:17 AM
I have been trying to use cloth as much as possible but I'm finding that Madeline gets a rash when we use them, particularly PFs and a cover. I thought that there might be some detergent, build up ect, causing the problem so I did a prewash with a bit of tide and calgon and then ran them through the sanitary cycle plus an extra rinse twice but that didn't help. I am changing her as soon as I know she is wet but this is now becoming hellish plus she still gets a rash. She HATES having her dipes changed and weighs over 30lbs. I am now hugely pregnant and not supposed to pick her up never mind struggle to get her upstairs to her room and then fight to get a new diaper on her.

When I switch back to sposies the rash clears up within one of two changes. Any advice before I throw in the towel and post my stash on swap?

Karenn
11-18-2005, 12:43 AM
No advice. Just popping in to say that's exactly why we're not using cloth- persistent rashes that would clear up the instant I put on a disposable. I tried every other thing I could think of- stripping the dipes, using liners (fleece and paper), changing detergent and in the end, I just gave up. At the time, we were also struggling with food sensitivities that would manifest as diaper rash, so it was too confusing to keep trying cloth. However, one mama suggested that it might just be a matter of DS having sensitive skin that would toughen up over a few weeks with a lot of aquaphor in the mean time. It wasn't worth it to me to test that theory, but I thought I'd share it.

Good luck in finding an answer.

kijip
11-18-2005, 03:14 AM
My parents said they had the same thing happen with me and this was when disposibles were not a nice as they are now. They think it was a reaction to something in the detergents.

writermama
11-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Hugs to you -- mysterious rashes are the most frustrating things!

I have very sensitive skin and Tide has always made me itch so I hadn't used it in years. I tried Tide Free on my DDs CDs and it gave her a rash -- must run in the family. Different brands work for different people (Cheer Free works for us, but I know someone who gets a rash with it.)

As PPs said, you can also try liners, stripping your dipes, lots of barrier cream, and if you're using hemp, try switching to cotton. You can also try cleaning out your washing machine in case there is a residue of some kind in it (my DH's addiction to fabric softener was causing us problems for a while even though I was washing diapes without any).

On the other hand, if you're fed up, you don't have the energy for the detective work, and you want to take a break from cloth, it's ok.

Hope this helps.
Karen

P.S. If getting her upstairs for changes is a problem, have you tried changing her downstairs? When I hurt my back, I started changing my DD on our sofa. I just put down a big waterproof lap pad and then I sit on the sofa at my DD's feet to do the change.

ETA link to washing machine cleaning instructions:
http://www.thediaperhyena.com/washingmachinecare.htm

almostamom
11-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Alexis,
My advice is to do/use whatever works best for you at the moment. If the cloth isn't working for you and the sposies are, then use them. DS is a bear to change sometimes - we've switched to pull-ups for those occasions. When I can get him to lie down we use our cloth and when he's just too squirmy, I grab the pull up (and I'm not pregnant or dealing with a rash). Whatever works is the best decision for you and your family :)
~Linda~
DS 11/9/04

mudder17
11-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Aww...big hugs to you!

Here are some possibilities:

1) It's possible she's allergic to the detergent. Stripping the diapers and switching detergents would help with that.
2) Maybe you're not using quite enough detergent and the diapers aren't quite getting clean? Do the diapers smell clean to you or can you smell faint ammonia smells?
3) Maybe she just needs the whole thing to be more breathable because she feels the wetness more than in a sposie. Except for 1.5 days in the hospital, I've never used sposies on Kaya, so I don't know how she'd do with a sposie, but PUL is definitely not breathable enough for her and makes her prone to rash.
4) Are you using fleece with every diaper? Maybe she's allergic/sensitive to fleece. If you want her to feel more dry, you can try suedecloth as a wetness barrier. Or we're using hemp fleece over here, which isn't quite as good as polyester fleece or suedecloth, but it does help and it's all natural materials.

It's definitely possible that you can solve the problem, but with your pregnancy and the fact that she hates diaper changes, you should go with what's easiest and maybe use cloth with your new one. If I think of any more ideas, I'll come back and add some.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

pritchettzoo
11-18-2005, 07:45 PM
If it's just with one kind of diapers, I'd think that she was having a reaction to something in them or the cover.

That must be terribly frustrating!

Do you have anywhere to change her downstairs?

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)