PDA

View Full Version : Red marks on thighs...any advice?

quinnsmom
11-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Hi All,

We are still experimenting with CDIng to see what works for us. We finally bought some Snap-EZ's and tried them last night and this morning.

We used the Windpro diaper last night and it worked great. But the PUL diaper we used this morning left major red marks on DS's thighs. I am a bit confused about this. As I got DS up from his nap I noticed the marks on his thighs and I though - "Well I must have snapped them too tightly" But then I noticed that there was a bit of a gap between the skin on his crotch/thigh area and the diaper - so it almost seemed like it was too loose since there was that gap. There was also some poop on his thighs (outside of the diaper area)by the gap.

In your experience does this mean that the PUL Snap-EZ just isn't the right fit for us? Or is there some tweaking I should try to make it work for us? We are having a hard time finding *THE* pocket diaper for us. Wonderoos fit great for the most part - but they seem a bit too wide in the crotch area no red marks with the Ross though) I love our Swaddlebees - but they are a bit too trim as DS is a heavy wetter. FBs just fit him funny (very saggy in the butt).

I was really liking the overall fit of the Snap-EZ until I saw the red marks. This is our first time with the PUL Snap-EZ - so I may need to keep trying. I did stuffed the pocket pretty well though. I knew DS would be going down for his nap and wanted to make sure there would be no leaks. It seems when I stuff the pocket diapers with more stuff - the fit gets weird in the crotch area - this may be why the poop escaped...? Does this make sense?

Thanks. :)

mudder17
11-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Kaya had red marks from the PUL Snap-EZ and at the time, I thought it was a fit and I just needed to size up (which I did). It did help with the problem, but as it turned out, it was really PUL that was the problem for Kaya. It just wasn't breathable enough for her. But what you describe also sounds like there may have been some irritation from the poop? I'm not actually the best advisor for PUL pockets, since we only use fleece pockets here. And none of the fleece ones have given Kaya red marks. In fact, with the Snap-EZ, we were able to size back down in the fleece pockets (partly a thinning phase and partly because fleece is slightly stretchier than PUL), and still no red marks.

And yes, if you overstuff a pocket, it can cause gaps. If you want a pocket for naps, you may want to size up and stuff with more, or stuff with something different. For us, a combo of microfiber and hemp works really well. For naps, it's a lizajane night with a regular MF towel and for night it's a LJ night with a Zannadu giant MF towel.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

jillc
11-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Hi Michelle,

My DD frequently gets red marks on her thighs from the elastic on the diaper. We use several different pockets, including Wonderoos, FBs, and Snap-Ez. And she'll get red marks even when I'm sure that the diaper isn't too tight around her thighs.

My DH likens the red marks to the marks that you get on the back of your legs when sitting on patio chairs, or even sometimes from socks. In our case, it seems to be just a mark from the fabric of the diaper pressed up against her. Know what I mean?

We don't worry about it - DD seems comfy & the diapers seem to fit.

Hope this helps.
Jill