PDA

View Full Version : Mother-ease - opinions wanted

aza
11-26-2005, 06:35 PM
I am currently using the Kushies brand diapers for my baby, but am thinking of switching to Mother-ease once my DS hits 20 lbs. I am going to be returning to work pretty soon so time will be dear abd I want to make sure that I am doing something worthwhile and at the same time saving the environment.

I went to the store today and looked at Mother-ease diapers and want to ask current and past Mother-ease users:

1. Which cover is better: Air Flow or Rikki? Rikki seems to be easier to use - but does it leak more?

2. Those covers did not seem to let a lot of air in (pure plastic on one side, in my opinion - how is this going to be better than disposables in terms of breathability and lower temperature?). Are Mother-ease covers really breathable or is it pure marketing? I did not see a lot of difference between the Kushies covers and the Mother-ease ones (although have no opinon re- their leakability).

3. Does anyone know if Mother-ease diapers are more absorbent than Kushies Classic? One thing for sure, they are twice as expensive (you can get Kushies on sale).

Many thanks in advance to all who decided to share their opinion.

lizajane
11-27-2005, 02:31 PM
i LOVE airflow covers. they are bomb proof. i have NEVER EVER had one leak pee. EVER. and i am using covers that were used by TWO children BEFORE my kid got them. (and he is 10 months.) i don't know if they are "Really" breathable, but i do not my kid doesn't get sweaty in them. i think the rikki's are the velcro kinda covers? i find the airflows fit over a lot more dipes than my velcro covers (proraps.)

the motherease onesize are not the most absorbant option, but they work great for us in an airflow cover anyway. i use the snap in liner/doubler or a hemp doubler. but i have pulled off a MEOS that was SOAKED and it still didn't leak through the airflow.

hope that helps a little.

(oh yeah, they fit great on my DS#1 until he was 26 months, but he is skinny. he stopped wearing diapers then, but i bet he could still fit into one at 35 lbs and 40inches. BUT his 42lb 42 inch friend could not fit into them AT ALL. so if you think you will potty train before he outgrows them, or if he is skinny- super. but if you have a chunk and expect him to stay that way, maybe not. fwiw, my both started as super chunks and are now both super skinny.)

o_mom
11-27-2005, 04:32 PM
I have two Rikki and one Air-flow and don't notice that they are any more breathable than the Bummis SWWs we mainly use. Certainly not like wool or fleece in terms of breathability. Neither has leaked without cause (diaper sticking out, long nap with no pre-nap change, etc.) When I started CD, I liked velcro better, but now I lean toward snaps - they seem to last longer and don't catch in the wash.

I assume you are looking at the ME Sandys? If you are waiting to 20 lbs, the Sandys are larger than the OneSize and will last longer. I got a OneSize and it was snug on my 26lb 2yo who is fairly thin. It was on the last snaps and had no room to grow. The Sandys fit on the first/middle snaps.

Absorbancy has been fine for us with the Sandys - even overnight with a wool cover they have held up fine. Never used Kushies, so can't compare - sorry!

Check out the ME intro offer - OS Diaper, Liner and Air-Flow cover for $16.95 shipped - a great deal! I heard (after the fact) that if you call them you can sub a Sandys for the OneSize in the intro offer.

kijip
11-28-2005, 05:03 AM
ME Airflows are incredible covers. I, like the pp have never had a leak. They just go and go. They are breathable due to the space buy the snaps IMO. I like these covers better than any others.

The MEOS diapers are not especially absorbant but they get the job done.