PDA

View Full Version : Horrible diaper rash but looks more like a burn-Help

barbarhow
12-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Anna started Amoxicillin for an ear infection a couple of days ago and has had horrible diarrhe since the first dose. I have added Babydophillus to a bottle a day. She slept through the night 2 nights ago and must have had a big poop at somepoint. When I changed her yesterday morning she has a huge red patch, raised on her butt and lower back-it looks just like a burn. It must be uncomfortable. I feel horrible for her. I have been putting Desitin or Balmex on it-and smearing on very thick. Is there something else I should put on it? Or just leave it alone. I have been doing the smear more to protect from subsequent poops. TIA
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

heidiann
12-04-2005, 01:53 PM
My older DD had this while on antibiotics my ped told me to put lotrim on it she said they they get like a fungus infection from it, and to use it three times a day.
I'm sure you already know this but if you are going to use just desitin or balmex to make sure her bottom is totally dry otherwise you just lock in the moisture.
HTH

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

barbarhow
12-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks-I will try the lotrimin. Yes-I have been patting her dry before the balmex. Her poor little tush looks so sore. :-(

toomanystrollers
12-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Barbara,
I've had better luck slathering on Aquaphor.

Hope her tush heals quickly!

heidiann
12-04-2005, 05:18 PM
its not a fungus infection, what was i thinking its a YEAST infection that the ped told me. sorry about that,

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

emilys_mom
12-04-2005, 05:48 PM
I didn't have much luck with Balmex, but had better luck with Dr. Smith's. My nephew also ended up with a yeast infection from anitbioutics, and my brother's ped. had them do a combo of lotrimon and Boudreaux's butt paste. My brother said the yeast rash was highly sensitive- more so than a normal diaper rash, if that helps you diagnose.

Lovingliv
12-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Barbara,
I was just coming here to post this question. Olivia started Amoxicillin 7 days ago for ear infection too! And her poor bottom! it is so red and she screams when we change her. What is working for you guys? I have been using balmex but am wondering if I should call the ped. Hope Anna is feeling better!

mudder17
12-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Other than the treatment with clotrimazole (lotriman or generic), and making sure the bum is completely dry before putting on the creams, these are the remedies that have helped Kaya (copied from the other rash thread):

As for rash remedies, these are the things that have worked:

Dr. Smith's: this stuff works quite well, although it is on the pricey side. But it has helped most of Kaya's rashes.

Jacksmagicbeanstalk: DH calls this the "good stuff" LOL. We've misplaced my latest container (which was almost brand new! ), so I may have to break down and get another one.

My own concoction of TP/Aquaphor (around 50:50) + a dash of mylanta. I may add more or less any of them to get a nice creamy texture. It sticks well and works especially well on the bright red, obviously irritated rashes. The mylanta really helps soothe the rash.

Aquaphor works great as a preventative/barrier cream, but IME, it doesn't work well alone to heal a bad rash.

Lots of naked butt time--as much as you an handle.

Baking soda baths (luke warm or at least not hot).

I hope all the babes on these boards who are currently enduring a bad rash feel better soon!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

m448
12-05-2005, 12:15 AM
I would try GSE diluted in a bit of water to wipe baby's bum. Let dry then diaper.

DeeEast
12-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Yes you should call the ped IMO. My DD had the same thing and I got a prescription for Nystatin cream to clear up the fungus/yeast infection caused by her antibiotics. Good luck to you.

barbarhow
12-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Rachel-the Lotrimin is working but now it has moved forward onto her vulva-it looks so sore-poor thing. Only a couple more days of the antibiotics so hopefully it will clear up soon.
How is Olivia doing?

Lovingliv
12-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Hi Barbara,

Yesterday ended the 10 day Amox run. I went through a giant tube of Balmex, and kept changing her every 2 hrs and it seemed to clear up. But she screamed through it most days! It was so red. I was going to try the Lotrimin but it started to clear up right before. Poor Anna. Oh, I also stopped the wipes and just used wet cloths.
Newest issue is constipation! I can't figure it out, should be the opposite on the antibiotics. She loves prunes though,,,so I guess we are lucky there.
Hope Anna is feeling better. It can be so tough to be a little baby!

jhaud
12-12-2005, 08:23 PM
just wanted to add (as i was looking this up, my dd has a recurring yeastie diaper rash and no antibiotics... so don't know cause)

my ped gave me this recipe when she prescribed the nystatin... mix the tube of nystatin with 1 tube either balmex or desitin, 1 tube hydrocortisone cream, and a splash of mylanta. use every time you change diaper continuing until 3 days after rash disappears.

kboyle
12-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I hope all these baby butts get better :) My ped always suggests Lotrimin on any open looking rash. The first time I tried it with DS1 it cleared after one night of use!!