PDA

View Full Version : How many? What size? When to start? CD for a newborn!

mom to little e
12-09-2005, 01:11 PM
You can see that I am full of questions...I've been surfing the boards and am completely confused about the different types and different brands of CDs to use for a newborn. I didn't start using CD for DS until he was about 20 months and we have stuck solely to Fuzzibunz but I don't have any idea of where to start for the new baby girl due in a few weeks. I want to get started on my stash and figuring all of this out. Not much time left! :)

Here are some of the basic questions I have to start:

How many diapers do I need to start for a newborn? And what size?

How soon do I move on to the next size (roughly)?

Should I start right away when she is born or wait a while?

I plan/hope to EBF so do I need to know anything else related to that?

Once I get started with these ideas, then I guess I'll figure out which TYPE and which brands to try. One step at a time for this overwhelmed Momma!

Thanks SO much!

Maryann

Ean 11/06/03
& Ean's Baby Sister due to arrive 01/08/06!

KrisM
12-09-2005, 01:35 PM
For BF babies, the best things are either fitteds or prefolds. I prefer mostly prefolds with a handful of fitteds for easier night changes. I think 24 prefolds and 12 fitteds would get you washing every 3 days or so.

I started with infant sized prefolds (4x8x4) and they were pretty bulky, but useable. If you want to avoid extra cost, and think you won't have a tiny baby, this is a good place to start. If you don't mind spending an extra $20-$30, I'd start with premie or regular infant (4x6x4) sized. For fitteds, the newborn size should work. I just had Kissaluv 0s for DS.

DS was 9 lbs 6 oz and the infant prefolds lasted until 3.5-4 months (17 lbs) or so. Kissaluv 0s lasted until 13 lbs or so.

You'll also need 4-6 covers. I like to have 6. I'd get a few different types to try to see what works best. Maybe Bummi, Bumpy, Prowrap. Newborn sizes of most will only fit until 10-11 lbs. We got a week out of them :). Bumpy newborn is a bit more generous and lasted us a month or so.

I used 1 pack of newborn sposies first. I waited until the meconium was gone. Whether I'll do that this time or not, I'm not sure. But, he was in cloth at about 8 days or so. Unless you're tight on money and want to wait until she's not outgrowing diapers so quickly, there isn't a really good reason to wait.

We were able to start using small FB at about 6 weeks at night. If he pooped, they didn't work very well, but most nights it was fine.

Hope that helped.

mudder17
12-09-2005, 02:05 PM
As usual, I agree with Kris. :P

We had a 7 pound baby, so we started with 24 preemie prefolds + 12 kissaluv 0s (but any newborn fitted could work--these just happene to be fairly cheap to get a dozen from the outlet), and when she was around 9-10 pounds, we switched her to infant prefolds. We snappi'd all our prefolds (better poop containment) so we were able to get by with 3 newborn and 4 small covers (I recommend prorap classics for cheap, readily available covers). The newborn covers never went well over the kissaluvs (too small) but were perfect for the preemie prefolds. Eventually I added some other small and medium covers (litewraps (worked great) and bummis (although these weren't great for leaky poop containment)) as I needed them. I would rinse out her covers in between wet diapers and only toss in the wash if poop got on them.

If you go to the top of this forum, and go into the CD101 thread, fairly near the bottom will be a link for newborn diaper recs.

HTH!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

mom to little e
12-10-2005, 09:24 PM
You guys are great! Thanks to both you Eileen and Kris for the information. I have on my list of "things to do" this weekend is order these diapers. You each have given me some really concrete and straight to the point scoop that I REALLY appreciate!

Maryann

Ean 11/06/03
& Ean's Baby Sister due to arrive 01/08/06!

marcywench
12-11-2005, 11:22 PM
You can get everything in a package from naturalbabies.com. I got the package with the kissaluv 0s and prefolds. In my case, DD was 7-13. Preemie prefolds were too small, so I folded infant prefolds. I used two newborn covers, but the smalls were best for us. Kissaluv 0s won DH over to CDing, so I love them most of all!

Good luck! Newborn fluff is soooo fun.

tbriese
12-12-2005, 08:42 AM
>How many diapers do I need to start for a newborn? And what
>size?

get 2-3 doz dipes total with 3-4 covers so that you can do laundry every 2-3 days. my DD started in infant prefolds and kissaluvs 0 with newborn covers and then moved on to small covers.

>How soon do I move on to the next size (roughly)?

my DD didn't really outgrow the kissaluvs but started outwetting them :-) after about 8 weeks if i remember correctly. she outgrew the infant prefolds about 16 weeks i think. we had to switch to small covers after a few weeks, though. DD was 7.5lbs at birth.

>Should I start right away when she is born or wait a while?

i started the day we came home. i figured that trying to do cloth in the hospital would be pretty rough.

>I plan/hope to EBF so do I need to know anything else related
>to that?

just that the BF poo isn't supposed to be contained well by the pockets & AIO very well. i actually did ok with FB when DD started daycare at 9 wks. you can also just toss the poopy dipe into your dry pail as it washes away without any problem in the washer.

don't forget to check out the CD101 at the top...it has a newborn link. but come back with questions any time :-)

american_mama
12-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Maryann: I didn't know you cloth diapered. Anyway, I will make the same offer to you that I made to someone else on these boards. A local consignment store has about six newborn size Bummis covers, white, look unused for $2.50 each. All are front snapping except for one with velcro. If you'd like, I'll buy as many as you want and ship them to you, and you can reimburse me. They are too good a deal and in too good condition to let go to waste!
PM me.

BTW, did you know that Ean and Annelise have the same birthday?

-- Karen