PDA

View Full Version : more rash problems...sorry it's long!!

parker10302
12-15-2005, 01:30 AM
We cloth diaper and use disposables because DH isn't too on board with the extra effort that cloth diapers entail! So lately when we're home and in cloth all day, DD's little bum gets continually more and more red throughout the day. DH puts her in a disposable at bedtime and when she gets up in the morning her bum is perfect!!! I originally switched to cloth because DD's bum couldn't tolerate disposables(they caused excema), now it seems as if it's the opposite.
I did a search and read a ton regarding the possible culprits of the rash: detergent, fleece intolerance, build-up caused by using too much detergent, or not clean enough caused by too little detergent, ARGH!!!!
I just stripped all our diapers a couple of weeks ago, and switched to Tide from All free & clear. I read that the All can cause build-up.

-So I'm wondering if the Tide is the problem, and I switch back to the All, am I going to have more problems with build-up?

-Also, can I use aquaphor or Burt's Bees on her bum without a liner???

-What would a fleece intolerance look like, and could it come on all of a sudden, since it never bothered her before??

Thanks for making it this far in the post, and for any advice you experts have!!!

Nicole

mommy to
Grace 10/02
Emelia 4/05

trumansmom
12-15-2005, 01:39 PM
I usually put DD in sposies for overnight, but had her sleep in cloth a few nights ago. She woke up with a BRIGHT red bum. She normally doesn't have this happen during the day, so I was a little freaked. She also ended up sick about the same time, so I mentioned it to her ped. He said (after marvelling that I was the ONLY mother in his practice that uses cloth and how he wished more people did!), that red bums often happen when they are wet too long. I was surprised, since the dipe she had slept in was fleece lined, but her color did return to normal after a bit, and she hasn't had a problem since.

Are your dipes lined in suedecloth or fleece? Maybe that would help. If not, you can make easy fleece liners. Just go to a fabric store or Walmart & buy a fleece remnant. Cut it in strips that fit to fit inside the diaper, and hopefully that will make the difference.

If you are already using lined dipes, maybe they need to be changed more frequently? I don't know. Just making guesses.

Good luck! I know how frightening that bright red tush can be!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

kep
12-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Nicole,

I've been having similiar problems, too. We recently switched from Tide to Sportwash. It's highly reccommended by moms here. Most mamas said they could find it in Walmart, in the sporting goods section, but I eventually found it in a actual sporting goods store, with the camping and hunting gear. Sportwash has no smell, cleans great, and rinses clean with hardly even a second rinse needed. It is great.

I kind of doubt your DD has fleece intolerence, just because she hasn't been bothered before, but I don't know a whole lot about that. I have noticed that my son is more likely to get rashy when using fitteds with a cover, then with pocket dipes. I know that pockets help keep the wetness from sitting on his skin better. Other than that, I really don't have any advice. Good luck! :)

Kelli
Mommy to the love of my life, Luke
(April 2003)

The tie which links mother and child is of such pure and
immaculate strength as to be never violated. ~Washington Irving

Momof3Labs
12-15-2005, 02:59 PM
If the start of the rash coincided with your detergent change, that's what I would tend to blame. Tide also makes an unscented version; maybe that would work better for you.

You can use Aquaphor without a liner, though it rubs off fairly easily. Not sure about Burt's Bees, but isn't that scented, too? If so, I'd stay away from it until you solve your problem since the fragranced detergent may be part of the issue.

parker10302
12-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Thank you ladies for all your replies. I'm definitely going to switch detergents again to see if that does the trick.

I'm using Daisy Doodles with fleece lined soakers, and I feel like I'm changing her constantly, especially because I'm so paranoid about her bum getting redder! The Burt's Bees hasn't really helped, aquaphor and A&D seem to do the trick.

Can anyone confirm if All free & clear will in fact cause build-up issues??? As we didn't have any rash issues when using this detergent.

Thanks Again!! Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!
Nicole

mommy to
Grace 10/02
Emelia 4/05

trumansmom
12-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Hmm... Oddly enough, that's what DD wears and what turned her bum red. :( Let me know if you figure it out.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!