PDA

View Full Version : Was going to get Kissaluv's but...

DeeEast
12-15-2005, 01:05 PM
now I'm nervous. I keep hearing everywhere that these things aren't absorbent at all. I don't know if I have heavy wetters or not (one boy, one girl twins) but I don't want to invest a bunch of money into them if they aren't going to work for us. I had thought that I'd buy some doublers to buy but if there are better diapers out there that would absorb more AND contain my babies' monumentally explosive BFing poops, then I'd like to look at them.

The reason I wanted to Kissaluv's was that I had heard they were the best for holding in the explosive BF poops. My twins were 11 weeks old yesterday and are exclusively breastfed. Any ideas? Thanks for all of the great info so far. I was just ready to place an order and now I'm second guessing myself......I'd love to try the Fuzzi Bunz but are afraid they won't hold the poops either....

kep
12-15-2005, 02:18 PM
I would love to know about this, too. We use Kissaluvs now, and I've not been very impressed with them. The fit is good for my two year old, but the absorbancy isn't great. But, we've never CD'd an infant before, we're late starters. ;) Anyone have any info?

Kelli
Mommy to the love of my life, Luke
(April 2003)

The tie which links mother and child is of such pure and
immaculate strength as to be never violated. ~Washington Irving

knaidel
12-15-2005, 02:18 PM
I think it is a good idea to try Kissaluvs, as they do work for a lot of people. Can you just buy a smaller number than originally planned?

DeeEast
12-15-2005, 02:24 PM
>I think it is a good idea to try Kissaluvs, as they do work
>for a lot of people. Can you just buy a smaller number than
>originally planned?
>
>
I was going to buy a 12 pack to start out with. Not enough for twins but still a lot of money if they end up not working for us. I'm hoping that they work for us too. They have to work for somebody or people wouldn't buy them right?

knaidel
12-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Don't buy 12. Buy 4 or 6. Use them at lease twice before you decide they don't work for you. Remember that if you don't like them, you can always sell them. I am pretty sure that Kissaluvs are the kind of diaper that you should be able to sell fairly easily.

Momof3Labs
12-15-2005, 02:57 PM
At that age, I wouldn't buy more than a couple of Kissaluvs until you know that you like them. Any good fitted + cover combo will hold in the bf'd baby poops. For a newborn, Kissaluvs are one of the cheaper options that comes in the tiny, tiny sizes. But once you're past newborn sizes, you have a lot more options that are just as (or more) effective. IMO, Kissaluvs sizes 1 and 2 are VERY bulky and not very absorbent. Adding a doubler will only increase the bulk.

When DS was 3-4 months old (he was long and skinny, so high rise and skinny thighs), we used a lot of Sugar Peas size 1 dipes. We usually added a doubler, but they were still a lot trimmer than Kissaluvs. Our favorite covers were Bumpy day covers.

DeeEast
12-15-2005, 03:31 PM
>At that age, I wouldn't buy more than a couple of Kissaluvs
>until you know that you like them. Any good fitted + cover
>combo will hold in the bf'd baby poops. For a newborn,
>Kissaluvs are one of the cheaper options that comes in the
>tiny, tiny sizes. But once you're past newborn sizes, you
>have a lot more options that are just as (or more) effective.
>IMO, Kissaluvs sizes 1 and 2 are VERY bulky and not very
>absorbent. Adding a doubler will only increase the bulk.
>
>When DS was 3-4 months old (he was long and skinny, so high
>rise and skinny thighs), we used a lot of Sugar Peas size 1
>dipes. We usually added a doubler, but they were still a lot
>trimmer than Kissaluvs. Our favorite covers were Bumpy day
>covers.

Aren't SugarPeas at least $15 a pop? That's way too much for me to spend outfitting twins since I have to buy twice as many in the long run.

mudder17
12-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Kissaluvs 0's work well with most newborns because newborns poop so much you're changing the diapers before the kid oversoaks the diaper. But no, Kissaluvs are NOT very absorbent and most of us wouldn't recommend Kissaluv 1's for older kids. Also, if your newborn happens to be a super soaker (some of them are), kissaluv 0s won't work well.

For an older kid, you will most likely want something more absorbent and probably trimmer. The type of diaper will depend on the shape and size of your kid, and of course, how heavy a wetter he/she is. Also, if the child has already started solids, it expands your choices into pockets and AIOs, both of which don't tend to work as well with leaky newborn poop.

For the OP, kissaluvs, especially if you can get them from the outlet, can be a more affordable option. However, you may be able to get them from the swaps as well. Check out diaperswappers.com and the yahoo group, diaperswap2. Diaperswappers is much better organized, though.

Sugarpeas front snap did not work for my kid, and side-snap ones did. And yes, they are more expensive, although you can sometimes get the seconds. But they are readily available and you could try to find some from the swaps.

Since you're going to need to get a bunch of diapers, but you don't want to spend a ton of money trying to figure out what works, I would definitely recommend trying the swaps. ETA: But otherwise (at least with the newborns), I would highly recommend learning to snappi prefolds. They are really the most affordable option and they aren't that difficult to learn how to fold, especially on newborns. They will last a long time, they're decently absorbent, especially with a doubler, and with the snappi and a good cover, you don't get leaks, which is really important. They're really easy to wash and dry and they can be used as burp cloths and also as rags later on.

Oh, and like Lori said, any fitted plus cover will do a pretty good job of holding in explosive poop. In fact, a well-snappi'd prefold + cover does just as good a job, IMO, even if it does take a little more of a learning curve initially.

HTH!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

Momof3Labs
12-15-2005, 08:51 PM
If you are on a tight budget, prefolds are really your best bet. Better to learn to use them properly than buy diapers like Kissaluvs that probably won't work well for you. Though hemp SugarPeas are $14 compared to $11 for Kissaluvs - not that big of a difference. And IME SugarPeas hold their value much better than Kissaluvs.

How many you buy depends on how often you do laundry. I did it every 3 days so needed as many diapers as you would if you did laundry every 1.5 days. You can get SugarPeas for a lot less if you watch their outlet (it hasn't been stocked lately). It's at www.sugarpeas.com. Another option is buying them secondhand.

We also like the fitteds from www.lucyshopechest.com, though I think that there was a recent complaint about her customer service. You might double-check that before ordering. Her size small custom fitteds are only $10 each.

niccig
12-16-2005, 03:00 PM
We stopped using Kissaluvs at 12 weeks. DS was too big for the newborn size and I had to use doublers as they weren't absorbent enough. By the time you pay for the diaper + the doubler it's about the same price as another fitted.

If prefolds won't work for you, maybe you could try a prefitted. A prefold that has been cut down, elastic in legs and fastened with a snappy. Growmearainbow.com or shandelle on this board makes them. They're cheaper than kissaluvs and easier than a prefold as you don't have to fold it. I think you can get extra doublers. You can make your own, instructions are on the CD101 post.

I really like Bijou Baby Gear hemp fitteds. $10 for small, $12 for medium and $14 for Large. It costs extra $1 for fleece topped soaker or $1.50 for a doubler. Look at diaperpin.com for reviews of diapers. There are better diapers than kissaluvs for older babies that are about the same price.

Only buy 1 or 2 diapers first for a test drive before placing a large order. It takes longer that way, but at least you know it will work.

lizajane
12-17-2005, 11:45 PM
have you tried the motherease yet?

kensjen
12-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Yes, motherease is what I would recommend as well!