PDA

View Full Version : Funny potty story...but now what??

Judegirl
12-18-2005, 03:19 AM
I bought a potty a few months ago because Riordan was interested in the toilet. The potty sits around the living room and sometimes gets put away because she uses it as a stool, but that's about it. Once in awhile we mention that it's a toilet, not a stepstool, but that's as far as it's gone. She urinated in it once, when we first bought it, but none of us followed up on it.

Tonight at dinner, she suddenly said "I done! Run 'round naked??" (which was an unusual request; she hasn't had naked time in a couple of months because it's been so cold, and we've never done it after dinner.)

So I undressed her and she headed straight to her potty. I took the opportunity to read her a story, and suddenly she started straining and grunting, and lo and behold - she pooped in the potty! I clapped and told her how cool that was, and invited her to stand up and take a gander at her accomplishment.

She took one look at it, pointed, grinned ear to ear,
said "MEAT!" ....and reached for it. Trying to keep a straight face, I told her that was poopy, not meat, and not so much for eating.

She was *extremely* disappointed. "Not for eating? No eating poopy?? Not meat??" (All night long this went on, LOL. Two hours later she had just about made her peace with it, soberly and sadly declaring: "No eating poopy. Not meat.")

Anyway...lol...we took her accomplishment to the toilet and flushed it together. Then she went back to the potty (we hadn't finished our story) and had another BM!

So now what? I kinds thought that one day she'd just get sick of diapers and start using the toilet. Frankly, I don't want something else to think about, or something else to read. So how do I encourage this without making it a big deal or the focus of anyone's life? I'm in absolutely no hurry here...should I just let her get naked every night after dinner and offer to read her a story on the potty? Or was this just a fluke?

Thanks!
Jude

mudder17
12-18-2005, 07:50 AM
Well, with Rory being so verbal, it may work to just let her take the lead. I'm guessing if she wants to keep on doing it, you'll have to do no work. :)

If she's pretty predictable with BM after dinner, then that may be a good time to offer to read her a story on the potty. But otherwise, let her take the lead, especially if you're not in any hurry.

Great story, though! Kaya doesn't know the word meat, and I don't think it would ever occur to her to eat it. :) She did try picking it up the first time, but once she realized it belonged in the toilet, she liked watching me flush it (actually she prefers to do the flushing now) and say, "Bye-bye poot!"

Wow, Rory really is a pistol, isn't she? I can always count on you guys for the most entertaining stories! :D

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

Aunt to sweet baby boy
12-18-2005, 11:28 PM
I do not have any advice since avi is only 14 months old and no where near potty training i just wanted to say thanks for the funny story... that one has to go into her baby book!

Ilana