PDA

View Full Version : Severe diaper rash?

doberbrat
12-23-2005, 01:08 PM
What do I use on it my 8wk baby has a pretty severe diaper rash. (using disposables) She also has a yeast diaper infection -her pedi prescribed a cream for that. I've been using boudreaux butt paste and medicated cornstarch powder but its not resolving and seems to be spreading. We dont go back to the dr till next week (he saw it on Tue and jsut said to use desitin etc).

I'm changing her often - at least every feeding and more if I feel she's wet/dirty.

I thought it might be an allergic rxn to wipes or diapers so I've even changed brands of both w/o luck.

any ideas? I hate seeing her poor butt so red & raw

:(

parker10302
12-23-2005, 01:22 PM
When my DD has a bottom yeast infection we use Lotrimin(clotrimazole 1%) and it clears it up pretty quickly. Also try and leave her diaper-less (on top of a waterproof lap pad) as much as possible. I'm sure other mommies will have some more ideas for you. Hope you little one is feeling better soon...

Nicole

mommy to
Grace 10/02
Emelia 4/05

jhaud
12-23-2005, 09:07 PM
we've been having recurrent severe diaper rash with my 16 mo old dd. she has a history of yeast rashes and we use the over the counter - lotrimin (for athlete's foot) as well as thick diaper cream (balmex or boudreaux)(the nurse says - thick layer - like you're icing a cake). i also mixed baby-dophilus into one bottle a day when she was younger - it is acidopholus for baby - it helps the stomach maintain a healthy environment, therefore, helping prevent yeast infections - this did help us. since dd eats yogurt everyday now, i no longer add this in. it can be found in health food stores or gnc.

as for her non yeast red, red, red bottom, i am currently using a mix i made (per doc) of diaper cream (desitin 40% zinc - but i HATE the smell), hydrocortisone, and neosporin. this is what is in triple paste. if you do a search you will find prior references to triple paste. at one point we also had her prescription yeast cream (nystatin) in the mix, but this time her rash is not yeast (although doc said i could add that as it would not hurt, but i wanted to save my last small tube for when she needs it)

i know air time is also highly recommended, but every time i let my dd go without, she wanders off of any towels i have laid out and onto carpet and proceeds to tinkle! but you shouldn't have this problem, so turn up the heat and let her enjoy her freedom. also make sure she is dry before putting the cream on. some people recommend a hair dryer on cool if you can't do air time, but i just use a dry washcloth to gently pat dry.

good luck, i definately feel for you, i know how hard it is to see that little red bottom - that looks painful.

jennifer

doberbrat
12-23-2005, 10:12 PM
I cant do air time. Everytime she sneezes, she squirts poop. Range is 4+ ft so far (and thats when I DIDNT intend to do air time - just wanst fast enough w/diaper). :)

she's already getting babydopholus and I dry her off w/tp before applying stuff.

maybe I'll try the triple paste thanks

heidiann
12-24-2005, 12:27 AM
my DD is 9 weeks old and we was going through the same thing, her little bottom was so red. she told me not to use baby wipes and not to put anything like desitin or triple paste on it because it would actually make it worse. Her skin was too sensitive for the wipes (even though i was using the newborn sensitive wipes) and even the desitin/ triple paste would make it worse because of the ingredients.
I thought she was going a little overboard but I tried it I use paper towels dampened, dry her real well then use AD ointment. IT TOTALLY WORKED. her little bottom cleared right up. oh yeah she did also have a yeast infection and I was told to use lotrimin ointment, worked like a charm.
hope your little on gets better.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

ohiomom
12-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Just wanted to mention there is no neosporin in triple paste as my DD is allergic to it. Here are ingredients from their website:
Zinc oxide, white petrolatum, corn starch, anhydrous lanolin, stearyl alcohol, white beeswax, cholesterol, polysorbate 80.

As I noted in recent post -- there is now generic equivalent called medipaste that is much cheaper!
Nicole's Mom 7/03
Joshua ^|^ 5/05

jhaud
12-28-2005, 12:34 PM
i've never used the triple paste or medipaste - when doc told me to add neosporin to my concoction, he told me that i could buy this mix at the pharmacy and that it was called triple-paste. honestly, i find these boards to be more informative than certain docs at my peds office (and the one i last saw and told me about the triplepaste is the one that i can't stand!)