PDA

View Full Version : eek! hemp stink is permeating my nostrils!

knaidel
12-24-2005, 11:39 PM
For the past few days, I noticed a strong smell when changing DSs diaper (using mostly Hemparoo pfs). Well, duh, tonight I realized that it must be the dreaded hemp stink that is so often discussed.

Okay, so please tell me: how do I get rid of it? I've read through some old threads on this, but get really confused between Calgon, dawn, baking soda, etc.

A few things: we live in Chicago, and am pretty sure that our water here is hard. Also, I live in an apartment and use a coin-op machine. Doing one or two loads that involve more than one cycle once in a while to get rid of or prevent build up is fine, but I can't do that on a regular basis- it would be too costly. Usually, I just do one hot wash. I have been using these prefolds since late May, so I figure I've done pretty well if this is the first time I'm getting this terrible odor.
Also, please don't tell me to go to wal-mart to buy sportwash. I hate wal mart. I will go to Whole Foods and buy something there, if necessary.

Thanks mamas!

Momof3Labs
12-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Chicago has very hard water.

How much detergent do you use? You could be using too much (and thus need to strip your dipes) or too little. I need to use almost a capful with 3 days' worth of cloth dipes in our HE machine, any less than that and the dipes don't get clean enough. Smaller loads, though, would require less detergent.

knaidel
12-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Okay, if that's the case, how should I strip them? With a squirt of dawn in the washing machine? OR, just let them run a few cycles without any detergent?

I use the Dominick's generic brand detergent, a powder. Have other moms found that some brands have less of a build-up problem? My guess is that if anything, I need to use less detergent, not more.

Until now, we have needed to use hemp because DS is a super soaker, but I would be open to suggestions. I prefer prefolds.

tarahsolazy
12-25-2005, 01:13 PM
I would try the dishwashing liquid wash, followed by a few cycles with no detergent. I know it means running up and down the stairs several times, but since you haven't had stink thus far, and NT is fairly old, this might be just an every-six-months thing.

Cheap detergents tend to be better, from what I have heard. I use Bio-Kleen powder, which is much less buildup prone than the Tide I was using.

So, when they are stripped, decrease your detergent by 20% or so, and see how that works.

Momof3Labs
12-25-2005, 02:45 PM
I strip with Calgon water softener. Two capfuls in one hot load (no detergent) and then a few more hot washes, and it is done.

SeekerMage
12-28-2005, 01:05 PM
I know everyone says aviod bleach at all costs...but honestly I love the stuff! I stripped all my diapers did all the different routines and my inserts still had some stink on them. So I threw all the inserts and my wipes in the wash and added about a half a cup or so of bleach to a full load (lots more water then needed) and it worked like a charm. Not only did it get all the nasty stains out but they smelled soo fresh and clean. It did no damage to the fibers and are just as absorbant as before. I think the key it to use just a little to go a long way and give them a little soak. That and lots of rinsing. I rewashed them after the bleach wash and then rinsed twice. I did that several months ago and am about to go it again due to more stink and nasty stains due to my oh so loving DH who didnt dunk THREE nasty poopy diapers that have now been sitting since xmas...ARG! Good luck...I hate the stinkys!