PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie to CD--better late than never, right??

oliviasmomma
06-26-2006, 09:24 PM
DD is 14 months old and I've avoided this thread like the plague for the last year! Why? Because my inner moral voice says to CD, but my outside lazy self says no way. Anyhow, after reading the 101 threads and looking at some sites, I've decided we can easily switch to at least partial CD for the rest of DD's diaper months. Then if we are able to have another (pleaseohplease!) I will have some experience and can then do 100% CD.

Sooooo...what are the better diapers for an older child and a somewhat lazy mom? I'm most interested in the ones with pockets/inserts, I think, but I am still overwhelmed with the terminology, so I still feel like I'm in the dark about the whole thing. How many would be good for part-time CD? I'm thinking mostly at home--I am a SAHM for the most part--and at night. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

PS how do you keep the pail from getting stinky? Even sposies are too smelly for me after about a day so we take them out every morning.:)

brittone2
06-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Come to the dark side :)

I am a mostly pockets mama and have been for a looong time with DS (2 and a few months old now). We are boring and have primarily used Fuzzi Bunz.

Deciding what kind of pocket works for you and your family depends on a lot of things...the shape of DD's body for example. So you might want to try 2-3 different brands of pockets first to see what you like. I'm not an expert on what WAHM pockets people are fans of currently, but someone will chime in w/ suggestions I'm sure.

Another variation in pockets is velcro vs. snaps. That can be a matter of personal preference as well.

If you are thinking of CDing a future child, maybe consider trying a Bumgenius (essentially a one-size-fits all pocket) that would get a lot of use next time around as well.

For inserts, we like microfiber towels. I just use yellow ones from the automotive section of Costco. I have a few hemp inserts but always come back to my trusty microfiber towels. Walmart also sells (blue) microfiber towels in their automotive section I believe.

After you CD for a while, you'll honestly probably find sposies smell gross to you. I can't *stand* the synthetic fragrance mixed with pee. It smells way way worse to me.

We don't really have odor problems but I wash every day to every other day. It just works for us to do it that way. I've never really gone much longer to be honest. I just hang a bummi's pail liner in my laundry room and toss dipes in there, and it doesn't really smell most of the time. Some people use little discs in their pail that are scented with essential oils, or a little baking soda sprinkled in the bottom of the pail. Some people here use the heavy-duty stainless trashcans with the lid activated by stepping on a pedal. For us, it seems like if our diapers get some air, they smell less, which sounds weird but it seems to work better.

For poop you can also consider something like a mini-shower to rinse off poop first. Not to be gross, but some of your preference for that may depend on the consistency of DD's poop. Minishowers are nice for when they are not in the newborn/no solids stage anymore, but aren't having poops that shake off easily into the toilet. We don't have a minishower but DS deals w/ constipation so his are easily shakable ;)

squimp
06-27-2006, 01:58 AM
At that age, we used Fuzzi Bunz (pockets) and were really happy. I bought most of them at Cottonbabies, and got a good deal on their terrific inserts (they might have been free, it's been a while). For how many, I'd count on changing dipes about every 2 hrs, so figure that into your calculations. We CD'd full time back then, except nights, and had about 16 pockets at a time, to wash every couple days. If you want more variety and excitement in your CDs, just keep searching and asking this forum.

IME, the night part will take a little figuring out. DD pees a ton at night, and we could never get a good system. But there's lots of folks on here with tons of experience good advice for that.

As for the stink, you could use the minishower to rinse out the dipes, and they wouldn't stink as much. I think sposies stink a whole lot more. I found a step-can with a loose lid, so it let the dipes breathe a tiny bit, so when you opened the can it wasn't this horrible stench. Good luck and have fun!!!

lizajane
06-27-2006, 09:16 AM
i might try starting out with bumgenius, since they are onesize and you may want to use them for another kiddo. i would get a 6 pack. and i would get 2 packs of microfiber towels from walmart/target, etc instead of using the cottonbabies inserts. i don't like them and neither does my friend who just started using bumgemius. i don't think they fit right. but the towels are very adjustable. (look in the auto cleaning section.)

if you want to try a few brands, i would try:
fuzzibunz
bumgenius
baby blanket
swaddlebees (? i don't have any but lots of folks are using them)
snap ez
apronstrings (on eileen's recommendation)

check out diaperswappers for used dipes. or diaperpin.

daisymommy
06-27-2006, 09:55 AM
I vote for FuzziBunz and Happy Heiny diapers. Happy Heinys close with velcro in the front exactly like a disposable, so I think they are the easiest to use. I stuffed them with a CottonBabies insert which I happen to like, or a MOE (Mother of Eden) microfiber insert.

Momof3Labs
06-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Can you describe your DD's size and shape? I think that skinny babies tend to do better in FBs, and chubby babes in Happy Heineys. Not sure where Bumgenius and other fall in, but FBs and HHs have been around forever (well, relatively speaking).

We eventually ended up with exclusive pockets for DS1 - it was so easy!

Do you dump the poop from your sposies in the toilet? If not, you'll find cloth to be MUCH less smelly. I also don't mind cloth as much because there is no stinky fragrance.

oliviasmomma
06-27-2006, 05:54 PM
I knew you guys would have good suggestions! DD is long and skinny. Her poops are still of the pasty variety--so no, I don't dump in the toilet. (Sorry if TMI) I agree with the fragrance--I can't stand it.

So, you think FB will be a better fit? What did you use in the pockets then--microfiber towels like PP or something else? I'm pretty sold on the towels from Wal-Mart, partly because they will make the transition easier on my wallet--but if there is a better solution please let me know.

Thanks again everyone--you are really helping to make this less overwhelming!:)

brittone2
06-27-2006, 06:07 PM
My DS was chunky-ish his first 6-9 months and fit fine in FBs (90th percentile or so).

He's now quite lean and he fits well.

We did go through a phase at one point where we had a lot of night leaks with FBs and I think it was during a point when his body was changing shape. That can be a good reason to buy more than one type of pocket eventually.

Momof3Labs
06-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Then CDs will definitely be less smelly since you will have to dump the poop in the potty.

My DS1 always did well in FBs, and he was long and skinny. Another pocket that worked well for us was Baby Blankets, but that was two owners ago; I don't know if the pattern changed at all.