PDA

View Full Version : Diaper bag thread spin off...cDing Moms of 2, what do you carry?

brittone2
07-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Especially if you babywear as well? Pg moms, what do you think you'll use when baby#2 arrives?

I posted this in the Babywearing and Diaper bag forums but didn't get that many responses...so I need to ask here too :)

DS is coming up on 2.5. He's doing okay with potty learning...only peeing, only at home, and pretty much only when already naked or in underwear. I suspect pooping is still going to take some time...he's battled constipation issues for a year now and is *finally* going almost daily without meds (woooohooo!!), so I'm not pushing that issue. This week he has requested to try to poop on the potty a few times which is big progress. He'll be just shy of 3 when baby #2 arrives, so I'm not sure how far along he'll be with PTing.

At that point, even if he's mostly PT'd, i'll need to pack a change of clothes for accidents, and possibly a portable potty insert? (he's just starting to use the regular toilet with or without insert at home, buy mostly prefers his little potty since he can get on/off by himself).

I also plan to sling #2, so that complicates things a bit in terms of choices. Oh, and I'm short and so really huge bags are just too much sometimes.

I have a LE DIA (old style) and a Little Tripper. I'm a relatively light packer...I've been using the LT since DS was only a few months old. The LE DIA didn't see much action. It would certainly hold enough but I'm thinking maybe it is too big/bulky (especially since it is boxy).

I'm stuck between a backpack (would like to be hands free as much as p osssible to try to deal with the toddler w/ baby in the sling). I tried on DH's backpack with my pouch (MnM) and it felt okay. Not sure how i'd feel about it using it all of the time...whether it would work with a sling or not?

Suggestions, please? :)

jenjenfirenjen
07-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Hmmm...well it sounds like you may have to carry a bit more than me with a toddler change of clothes and the portable potty. I'm a bit of a diaper bag fiend but I have finally settled on the Fleurville Sling Tote and I'm really happy with it. In general, I carry a Premium PF and Bummis Whisper Pant for my toddler, a Prorap AIO for the infant, a travel wipes container, a burp cloth, a change of clothes for the infant, a straw cup and snacks for the toddler, my huge wallet, cell phone, keys, etc, and a pouch sling. If I'm going to be out for a long time, I'll just throw some more dipes in another bag and keep them in my car.

For now, with the baby in the tummy to tummy carry, I can just put the tote on my shoulder. When he goes on my hip later on, I'll use the messenger bag strap (that's what I did when DS1 was younger.) I personally haven't found backpack styles to be very compatible with my slings.

HTH. Let us know what ends up working for you.

mudder17
07-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Hmm...you're WAAAAAY ahead of me in all this planning and I'm due before you! ;)

I haven't really thought that far ahead, but Kaya and Logan are pretty close in PTing, although she doesn't have constipation issues, so she may be a bit further along. Still, she prefers to poop in a diaper. I'm guessing that I would probably back underwear and a change of clothing for Kaya by the time the new baby comes. For peeing in public...well, I carry a travel potty in the car, so it's not something I would keep in my bag. That helps a lot. I have a LE Diaper Backpack, by the way. I'm guessing I would keep newborn diapers and wipes in the back compartment (roomiest) + a little pouch for Kaya's extra underwear, extra clothing for Kaya and newborn in the middle compartment, diaper cream in the front little pouch. This still gives me extra room for water and snacks. In general, I'm also a fairly light packer, although newborn dipes definitely take up more room (because you need more of them, plus I'm using mostly prefolds with her). I'm guessing Kaya's little pouch would actually go in the middle compartment with the extra change of clothes.

I'm also planning on slinging with my MnM pouch and later with my MnM wrap, so I think a backpack will be the easier solution for me. With a bag, I always have the problem of the bag slipping off my shoulder or adding asymmetrical weight to my shoulders.

But just my 2 cents since I haven't actually tried all this yet. ;)

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 28 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

Wife_and_mommy
07-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Beth,

I responded to one of your other posts and haven't edited with my new info.

Hth. :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

new_mommy25
07-03-2006, 10:42 PM
I have a Skip Hop dash that is plenty big for me. It works well with a ring sling a Mei Tei. I just sling it over to my back messenger style, or better yet, DH carries it :) . Usually I leave it in the car though because we're rarely out long enough to even need it. I prefer changing DD in the car anyway because public bathrooms are nasty.

We have a potty that we keep in the car. If DS needs to pee I just let him stand on my feet. We're just starting PT'ing though so I'm sure my answer will change in a few months.

brittone2
07-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks everyone :) I'm still stuck between a backpack and a messenger style bag but everyone's input was helpful.

Eileen-LOL about my planning ahead. It isn't that typical of me, but for some reason I'm going through some sort of bizarre nesting...having the urge to purge, reorganize, plan ahead...I think it is just panic setting in about the realities of having 2 little ones settling in :P I'm having this massive urge to do some serious planning...I figure by the 3rd tri I'll be out of steam LOL.

Thanks again for the tips. I *think* I'm leaning toward a backpack but that is to be determined ;) The BTDT experience is very helpful as always!

mudder17
07-05-2006, 09:33 PM
>Eileen-LOL about my planning ahead. It isn't that typical of
>me, but for some reason I'm going through some sort of bizarre
>nesting...having the urge to purge, reorganize, plan ahead...I
>think it is just panic setting in about the realities of
>having 2 little ones settling in :P I'm having this massive
>urge to do some serious planning...I figure by the 3rd tri
>I'll be out of steam LOL.

Actually, I just spent the 4th building a wine rack, helping DH build a cat box containment system (so we could move the catbox out of it's own room and into our den to create a guestroom/new baby's room), and a kitty feeding station (same thing). Today, we had a freezer delivered so I can start cooking a la Frozen Assets, we sold our second car after getting it an oil change, and we moved our massive treadmill (that needs to be sold) to our basement. I also did a lot of cleaning and organizing of Kaya's toys (although it's not complete yet). Next thing I need to do is contact Salvation Army to arrange pickup of some pots and pans, clothes, and an almost new electric dryer. And yes, I have to list the treadmill on Craigslist. I'm hoping to get much of the big reorganizing done before I hit my third trimester so I can concentrate on cooking and getting last minute things for the baby (like a crib, ack!). I think we need to create a new thread in PP to help us streamline all we have to do before the baby comes. I'm sure Jo could help us with the organization! ;)

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 28 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

niccig
07-06-2006, 12:40 PM
I just got an overland trinidad bag. There's a few reviews of it on the diaper bag board. I was using a skip hop duo but DH would go through the bag several times a day, and I got sick of wrestling my keys/wallet from him when we were out and about. It's a messenger laptop bag. It's about the same size as the skip hop duo, but it's a little wider. It holds a lot more stuff. It's probably a little big for just DS and me, but I don't like carrying extra bags, so I'll often stuff shopping in there or our swimming things. Yesterday, I put the computer's external hard drive as I had to take it to the store to be fixed, there was still plenty of room for all of our things.

I do have the LE backpack that I use for travel. I don't like it for everyday as I feel like I'm a turtle, but I feel this way anytime I wear a big backpack - I'm only 5' 2". I also have to take it off, put it on the ground to get things out. But I know other people love backpacks, so I'm sure it's just me that has these issues.

I think the trinidad would work for two kiddos, one in CDs. If you're interested, you could let me know what you would put in there and I can try it out. I've still got all of DS's infant CDs so I could do a test run. You can get the bag from some REIs, so you could look at it in person. Here's a review of it on the other board.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=30115&mode=full&page=

This is what I pack:

On the flap, it has a zippered pocket - my overstuffed wallet and keys

Under the flap - zippered pocket for extra things that I don't always use but need to have eg. a few granola bars for me and a secret extra stash of snacks for DS, a few medicines, a couple of pens etc

In the main compartment (not under the flap, which I like as I can get things out by just unzipping), there's 2 areas, 1 is for a small laptop - diaper changing stuff, extra clothes, sunscreen. In the other compartment I have some toys for DS and snacks.

There is a back pocket, where I have a large patemm pad, which I'm going to swap out for a smaller changing pad as DS isn't as squirmy. This back pocket unzips so you could put it over the handles of a rolling carry-on bag.

TWO external bottle holders that are big enough for large sippies or bottles of water. Room for DS's drink and for mine, or a sippy and a bottle. Yesterday I put a take toss bowl and it fitted fine.

It does not have an external pocket for a cell phone, but I'm thinking of adding a holder to the strap. I don't like the clasps that attach the flap to the bag, but I can live with it as you don't need to undo the flap to get into the main compartment, and I'm putting less used items under the flap. I got this over a proper diaper bag as DH also uses it and it'll be a good bag for me when I go back to school full time.

HTH
Nicci

brittone2
07-06-2006, 02:09 PM
LOL!!! I'm glad someone else is nesting early!! I did NOT do this as early with DS, but I guess the reality of chasing a toddler in the 3rd trimester coupled with my chicken-ness over having 2 babes has me motivated (temporarily LOL) to get some things taken care of in advance.

I just checked out 3 organizing books out of the library last night (2 of which I've read before) to try to get some new ideas for around here.

I'm glad I'm in good company. I've been feeling like such a nut that i'm obsessing right now but I know the more I can get done, the better. We have a gourmet grocery place nearby that just had a huge clearance sale on gift baskets (very much like Harry and David type stuff) and we bought more than half of our Christmas presents. Crazy, but I know I'll be grumpy trying to shop while big and pg in October/November and the baby is due in early Dec.

I have to pop over to PP and we can make up some fun lists. I could use some help from the organization gurus :)

brittone2
07-06-2006, 02:15 PM
I like that one. I didn't see it at REI when I was there last but I wasn't looking specifically for it. I tried some Timbuk2 bags but they were sooooo heavy unpacked, and the big size was TOO big and the small size didn't have external pockets for a water bottle, etc. which I need :)

It is set up similar to the LE Little Tripper with the side pockets...I like that. I use mine now to hold a water bottle and the other side usually has my cell phone.

Do you know how much bigger it is than the LT by any chance? I wonder if it would be in between my too large LE Do it All (old style) and my primary bag (the LE Little Tripper, which will be too small for 2 kiddos).

niccig
07-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Beth,
I don't have a little tripper to compare it too. It's roughly the same size as my skip hop duo, but it is deeper. A comparison of measurements from web sites, if they're correct:

overland trinidad 14� x 11� x 6�.
skip hop duo 13 inches wide x 14 inches high x 3 inches deep.
LE LT 13"Wx10 1/2"Hx4 3/4"D
LE Do it all 15"Wx11 1/2"Hx10 1/4"D

So, it would be between the LT and the Do it all.

I like that it's deeper as with the skip hop if one pocket was full, it would encroach on space in the other compartments. When I first got it, I thought it was too big, but I'm finding that even when I don't have it full, it's still fine to carry. It's not a small bag, but I don't find it too big to carry.

I was at the park today and I had everything I listed before plus DS's soccer ball - about half size of a normal soccer ball, and I could still zip it up. In one of the bottle compartments I had a snack trap on the bottom and a 6 oz sippy cup on top, my water bottle was in the other bottle compartment. My friend has a stuffed petunia backpack thingy, and it looked a lot bigger than my bag. I think this bag will expand or shrink depending on what's in it.

My REI didn't stock the bag, but the overland equipment webpage lists retailors, so maybe you can see it IRL. I got mine through shoebuy with the discount someone posted on the diaper bag forum. As I said, it'll be a good school bag for me later on, and DH liked that it wasn't too girly, and it has a very good strap with a shoulder pad. I really want a girly bag, but this one is more practical...sigh.

Nicci

lizajane
07-06-2006, 06:59 PM
hmmm... liza thinking about how she could buy your treadmill... man i would love to jog while i watched night time tv... may see a trip northward in my future...

lizajane
07-06-2006, 07:02 PM
ok, they have a fold up potty insert thing. may not be as good as the ones with elmo all over them (that is what worked for us! lol!) but an idea.

a change of shorts/undies shouldn't take up too much room.

BUT my best suggestion for two in dipes (or close to it) is MOTHEREASE ONE SIZE!!!!!!!!! they were my LIFE saver. they aren't bulky, the airflow covers are super thin, and you only need to bring two sizes of covers and maybe 3 dipes so you have both kids covered. it was GREAT for me. i think i packed 4 dipes and two covers in each size, but i had a huge bag. so if i was out for a while (due to toddler needing adventures) i only had to have 4 dipes total- maybe one change for the toddler and 2-3 for the breastfed pooper.

holliam
07-06-2006, 07:20 PM
I totally missed this thread before but we have:

Lands End backpack
LLBean bag
Skip Hop Duo
Lands End large tote

And Liam uses an Eddie Bauer messenger bag so these just SIT! They are in my pile of things to re-sell.

Don't buy anything until you try all ours because I will happily GIVE THEM TO YOU! :D

Holli

KrisM
07-06-2006, 08:31 PM
what organization books did you get? I need some good ideas and am not finding the books I want.

You're good to plan early! I nested most of all during Memorial Day weekend, which was after my due date. We did get a lot accomplished.

brittone2
07-06-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm trying...we'll see how long I can maintain the momentum though LOL.

I picked up from the library:
Confessions of an Organized Homemaker (have read this before but wanted to relook through it). I think there are sequels now available on Amazon etc. but I haven't seen them as my library doesn't have them.

Sidetracked Home Executives (have read this in the past as well)

Organizing from the Inside Out (just started this but I think it is a really good book so far).

And one other one...not so great but lots of photos which is kind of nice. I have to look up the title...it is downstairs and I can't remember what it is.

I want to check the larger library that is nearby to see if they have the sequels to Confessions, etc. as I'd like to peruse those ;)

brittone2
07-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Awwww...thanks Holli. If I could just *try on* a few, I'd be forever grateful :) It is hard to gauge what will fit inside from just looking online, kwim? I don't need huge since I'm kind of a packing minimalist, but I know I need something bigger than what I have (but not as big as the LE DIA).

I've got plenty of time to figure it out, but being able to check a few of those out in person would be fabulous :)

Thanks!

brittone2
07-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the great info. I'll add it to my list of bags to investigate :)

ribbit1019
07-07-2006, 04:18 PM
I have the Skip Hop Duo Double, it is seriously huge, but I love it. Last weekend we were going to be out town for 4 days so I packed it full and it didn't look over stuffed. Overstuffing is something I am way to good at.

Here is what I packed:
2 newborn bibs
1 toddler bib
2 changing pads
4 car toys
1 mini magna doodle
2 sun hats
Small tube of sunblock
diaper cream
full sized bottle of powder
4 outfits for DS (one peice short sets)
4 outfits for DD (mostly dresses)
2 onsies
2 pair of socks for each
DD's Merills
All the contents of my purse (which I am an overpacker so you can just imagine ;))
6 PT fuzzi bunz stuffed
12 wipes (for face and butt)
2 IPFs for spit up
Hotsling
2 straw cups

I packed the extra outfits, PJs and diapers in my suitcase butI swear the rest of the clothes would have fit if I pushed it.

I think that is everything....the shoulder strap could be a little more comfortable. But I am sure my discomfort could be attributed to the fact that I put 5X the amount of stuff that should be in the bag, LOL!

It is easy to carry too, I had DD on my one hip, DS in the sling and I carried that bag on the slinged shoulder. I need to figure out a way to get my double stroller into the trunk of my car. ;)

Christy
My Waterbabies
http://b3.lilypie.com/uVw3m4/.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/tbvhm4/.png
http://www.tickercentral.com/view/172x/5.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif