PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing help needed- installing a bidet sprayer

MarisaSF
07-04-2006, 02:12 AM
I recently got a Saria Shattaf sprayer for our diapers (http://bidetspray.com/contact.php). Of course, now I find I have the one wonky toilet in the universe that this thing can't attach to. Thought I'd see if anyone else needed to do minor plumbing to install their diaper sprayer.

My issue is that I cannot remove the original supply hose from the control valve. So it looks like I need a whole new control valve like this: http://www.doityourself.com/invt/8176240 (My current valve doesn't have that bolt on top; the supply hose is just welded on.) Soooo.... wondering if anyone has dealt with this themselves or will I need to call a plumber? I don't even know how to turn off the water to the source. Cranky me! :)

new_mommy25
07-04-2006, 02:29 AM
Yikes, I have no idea. I had the minishower in a box for months before installing it because I was so scared of messing with the plumbing. Of course it ended up taking about 5 minutes to install!

You can call the water company and they will tell you how to turn off the water. Ours is outside the house.

Do you know anyone handy?

Jo..
07-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Are you saying there's no shut-off valve at all at the toilet? If so, you need to remedy that even if you decide not to install the sprayer!!! Yikes! What if you have a toilet overflow or a leak or another emergency that you needed to turn the water off FAST? Your toilet is VERY wonky!!! :P

You need to find your main-water shut-off valve. These could be anywhere! Sometimes they are outside, in a garage, in a basement, etc. Ours is in a crawl space UNDER our house! I'd replace that welded line with a flexible supply line and install a shut-off valve. It doesn't take a ton of skill (I've done it), and you can find instructions on the net. But if you're not feeling handy and can't drum up a handy friend or relative, by all means call a plumber!

Check the rest of the toilets in your house while you're at it. If they are wonky too he can fix them all at the same time.

MarisaSF
07-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks, guys, for you input. This may require a plumber.
Just wanted to reply to you, Jo, so you don't worry about us! Sorry that I didn't do a great job of explaining. We do have control valves, it's just that the flexible supply hose is welded onto the control valve fixture. Seems like most are not welded on, but rather attach via a threaded (screwed-on) connection. That threaded connection point is where I need to attach the sprayer hose to the control valve area. So I need to shut off the water in order to install a new threaded piece.
Anyway, I guess I'll be calling a plumber. In the meantime, I will look for our main water shut-off. I had no idea where it might be hiding, but I'll find it!

Jo..
07-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Okay, whew! LOL, that DOES make me feel better. I just had this mental image of your toilet spraying all over the place like a geyser and you with no way to turn it off ;)!!!

psophia17
07-04-2006, 08:26 PM
You'd be amazed how fast a toilet filled with things you don't want all over your bathroom floor can overflow when the valve isn't working quite right...

Hopefully, that won't happen again anytime soon (where's the smiley wearing a mask?).