PDA

View Full Version : dyeing prefolds question

lizajane
07-06-2006, 04:00 PM
i want to dye a bunch for prefitteds. can i toss 'em in the washer with the soda ash and all? should i let them agitate or just soak? an BTDT advice? last time i dyed them, i used buckets. but it seems a lot easier to just stick them in the washer one color at a time. i want to throw a few onesies in there, too, i think. ETA: i do not want the color mottled, if that matters. i want it solid.

deenass
07-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I don't think it would work to toss them in with soda ash. When I dye stuff, (and I have a small business) I soak in soda ash, remove, then dye.

Not sure what dye you are using, but I'm going to recommend DYLON which DOES NOT require soda ash, just table salt.

You can purchase aty Joann's or Walmart for under $2

lizajane
07-06-2006, 06:57 PM
oooh fab, so does dylon STAY like the "tie dye" kits dye? is it the same kinda thing? for natural fibers? i had good luck with the tie dye kit stuff. do you think i could soak in soda ash in the bathtub, then move to the washer for the dye? that way, i could soak all of 'em together in soda ash and then take out a few to dye each color? (they are for my biz, too! but also for my friend who is preggers with #2 and very little NB fluff.)