PDA

View Full Version : Newborn Package Deal Advice

awol
07-07-2006, 09:37 AM
I really want to give CDing a try. After months and months of research I am sooo overwhelmed and the baby is due any time now!! I think I've decided to try out the Newborn package deal thru Nicki's Diapers. Is this a good idea? This is what it consists of:

30 Newborn (2x5x2) prefold diapers and fits 5-10 lbs. -- I will upgrade to Infant size
2 Newborn Prorap diaper covers (belly-button cutout) fits 6-10 lbs.
1 Newborn Bummis Super Whisper Wrap fits 7-10 lbs.
1 Newborn print Bumkins diaper cover (lots of prints to choose from-click on Bumkins for choices) fits 6-10 lbs.
1 Newborn Imse Vimse Bumpy Soft diaper cover fits 6.5-13 lbs. (runs big)
1 Size 0 Kissaluvs Fitted Diaper fits 6-12 lbs.
1 Small Bumkins All In One diaper fits 6-12 lbs.
1 Small Fuzzi Bunz Stay Dry Pocket Diaper (click here for color choices)
1 Small 8oz Nicki's Diapers micro insert (to be used in the Fuzzi Bunz Pocket diaper)

I'm worried that the newborn covers won't last me very long....any advice?

Alice523
07-07-2006, 01:49 PM
I have had nothing but good experience with Nicki's Diapers - I've recommended the site to friends who've also had good experiences.

We had 6 NB Proraps that I purchased used just in case. They were more than enough for the few weeks I used them. (My son was 10.5 lbs at birth.) We would have definitely been okay with S - we just used the NB because we had them. I would think that Nicki's package has too many NB covers, but I don't know how big your baby will be. I have no experience with a babe under 10 lbs. :)

What I have read here about pockets/AIOs on new babies is that the runny breastfed poop leaks through them. Even when James was 5 months old, I stuck to a prefold and cover if I thought he'd poop. Changing poopy clothes got old really fast. ;) If I was trying to save some $$ to be safe, I think I'd stick to some Proraps, BSWW, and skip the more experimental pockets/AIOs. But there is definitely nothing wrong with experimenting!

We used prefolds w/ Bumkins (DH didn't like them as much as BSWW), BSWW, and Proraps for the first two months. Then, we added a Bumpy. Only months later did we add a few wool covers and FBs to try as night diapers. We are really happy with this system. Good luck! I love using cloth diapers. I hope you do, too.

lizajane
07-07-2006, 06:25 PM
also get 2 or 3 snappi fasteners and 6 small covers. i recommend proraps. they worked great for us. i had 9.5 lbs babies, so we never used newborn size at all. if you expect a big baby, save the NB covers (don't wash) until you are sure you will need them.

you may also want two diaper pail liners and 2-3 dozen cloth wipes. i recommend sherpa/velour. flannel gets yucky fast.

KrisM
07-07-2006, 09:01 PM
I agree about adding a few small covers. DS was 9.5 lbs and wore the newborn Prowraps for a week or so. DD was 8.5 lbs and wore them for about 3 weeks. The newborn Bumpy still fits her now at about 10-11 lbs. You get a lot of use from the nb Bumpy.

Other than adding wipes and pail liner and wet bags for outings, the package looks really good.

eapoosmama
07-15-2006, 02:36 PM
I second - wipes and wetbag and you should be good to start that newborn.

Sadly the newborn covers will not last long, but neither would newborn sposies.