PDA

View Full Version : what is the best diaper pail for disposables?

pookee
07-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi there,

We are expecting our first this October, and we would like to know what you have found to be the best type of diaper pail for disposables? Easy to use and no smell would be the best features. :)

Thanks so much for your help!

almostamom
07-13-2006, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't say it's "no smell" but we like the Diaper Champ. We do throw the solid waste down the toilet so that does help with the odor. It is very easy to use and you can use standard kitchen trash bags in it.

~Linda~
http://lilypie.com/pic/060427/fDdc.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/qW3mm7.png

Radosti
07-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Yup, love our Diaper Champ. Although, I went out to the dollar store and bought boxes of diaper baggies (100 baggies for $1). I have a trash bag in the Diaper Champ and every diaper goes into one of those super-thin baggies before it goes in the diaper champ. I also flush the solid waste down the toilet. But that's now, breastfed poopies are so liquidy that I just made sure that the diaper was contained in the baggie before throwing it in the diaper champ.

pookee
07-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Diaper Champ, it is. And I will flush the solids down the toilet, when that time comes :)

Radosti, what do these "diaper baggies" look like? Are they just like sandwich bags, but longer?

Radosti
07-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Nah, they look like little supermarket shopping bags with handles, just thinner and smaller.

It's these exact ones, but they are $1 at my local dollar store:
http://cgi.ebay.com/100-SCENTED-DIAPER-DISPOSAL-BAGS_W0QQitemZ320005596198QQihZ011QQcategoryZ15559 QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

niccig
07-13-2006, 04:16 PM
I have to agree with the others, if you want no smell, then you have to dump the BM into the toilet. You can't do this with BF poop, but you can once they start solids. BM in any pail is going to smell in a couple of days. Another option is to empty the pail every few days, or a friend puts the poopy diapers in one of those small bags and then puts it in the trash can outside. We also use cloth, so for us, dumping is easiest.

Nicci

alaskadiver
07-13-2006, 05:02 PM
On our 3rd kid and we've never used diaper pails or any such nonsense. In fact, I don't see the point of diaper pails or changing tables for that matter. I just change the baby on our bed on top of a basinette pad. All the diapers, wipes, and creams are kept in a basket by the bed. For the soiled diapers, I just keep a small plastic trashcan by the bed and keep it lined with grocery store plastic bags. I usually double or triple bag at the grocery to keep a good supply of bags!

Our 2 month old baby only poops once or twice a day and those diapers get immediately bagged, tied shut, and tossed into the kitchen trash. The diapers only soiled with pee just get rolled up tightly and velcroed shut into little balls and go into the trash can by the bed which I empty into the kitchen trash once or twice a day. They don't smell. The kitchen trash gets emptied to the can outside the house at least once a day.

I never have a problem with smell because I never store poopy diapers. With the older kids who produce smellier diapers, if one is really bad it just gets double bagged and goes straight outside to the trash. If I feel that the diaper might smell I just bring out all the trash at that point.

Maybe you have an apartment or something where putting out the trash is more trouble? For me it's only a few steps from the kitchen through the garage to the garbage can right outside the garage.

Radosti
07-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Hehe, we have dogs, so no little plastic bin allowed or it'll become doggie diner. Same reason why cat litter is in the basement and there is a cat door in the basement door. As far as changing the baby on the bed, well... lets say that a certain little baby boy likes to create pretty little fountains. While mom is quick, she still had to wash the comforter a few extra times. Plus, there were a few blowouts of gigantic proportions that went right through the blanket I threw on the bed to protect it against the little fountains. Now that blowouts are a thing of the past, we change him on the floor on top of a blanket or on his dresser/changing table thing.

alaskadiver
07-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Dogs? I guess that could be a problem if they get into stuff. We have a yellow lab but he knows not to get into the garbage. He's never once gotten into diapers.

Blankets don't work. What you need are bassinete pads. Or take crib pads and cut them in half. They are waterproof fuzzy and washable. So if you have a blowout or shower you just rinse it off in the laundry sink and toss it in the wash. We're on our 3rd kid and I've never once had a comforter get soiled.

We had one long road trip from Pensylvania to Texas when the middle kid was 2 and had severe diarrhea. She kept blowing out her diapers and leaking on the car seat. I covered it with towels but soaked through them. Finally stopped at a Wal-Mart, bought a couple packages of waterproof crib pads, cut them into the shape of car seat covers and used them as disposible car seat covers the rest of the way home.

pookee
07-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the great advice, ladies!

No dog or cat here, so we won't have a problem with "intruders" in the pail. :)

My level of newbie-ism will show with this question: what are blow-outs? Is it when their poop blows through their diaper? What can I do to prevent this... and do I need to put a rug or something around the crib to prevent projectile blowouts?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I haven't been around newborns or babies for an extended period of time.

kboyle
07-14-2006, 11:11 AM
i'm a fan of the diaper dekor...it looks nice, contains smell and u can use them with kitchen garbage bags since the refills ae a bit pricey, though i did use them for a full 2 years before i discovered garbage bags work too.

Radosti
07-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Hehe, nothing like a rug for projectile poop :) No, it's just the liquidy poop that gets everywhere. It fills the diaper, goes up their back, down the legs and everywhere in between. It's just part of life with a newborn baby. Sometimes you can use wipes to clean them up, a lot of times it's easier to strip them naked and give them a full bath.

Radosti
07-14-2006, 11:33 AM
Didn't know that. That's why we picked the Diaper Champ, because you can use it with kitchen trashbags.

jeannine6
07-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Any pail with a foot pedal-activated lid will work well. We have one upstairs and one downstairs.

Once a month, on a nice, sunny day we will put the empty pail outside. Just make sure no rain is in the immediate future. A couple of hours out in the sun with the lid off and it de-stinks it pretty well.

let73
07-15-2006, 10:02 PM
We use the Diaper Dekor Plus. We have been using it for about 6 mos and have had no problems with smell. (Not sure what will happen in the future!) I like the fact that it has a foot pedal and you just throw the diaper in.

The refills are a little expensive, but last a long time. We are still using the same box of refills that came with the diaper pail- we empty it about 3x's per week. I may try using the garbage bags like the pp with Diaper Dekor mentioned.

Lisa

tobycat
07-20-2006, 11:47 AM
We have been using the Diaper Dekor for 21 months without problems or smells. I honestly don't understand why a diaper pail needs to be complicated and having moving, rotating, etc parts. Just one more thing to break. My neighbor has gone through the Diaper Champ and one other--both failed horribly at what seems to be an easy task.

We have not tried with the garbage bags, but will give it a shot when we run out of refills. After it use as a diaper pail, I think I'll use it when i scoop out the kitty litter.

Candice

kep
07-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Sorry!

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)
And a new baby due Christmas Eve, 2006

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34503.jpg Weaned after 3 years!

http://bd.lilypie.com/8dPKm4/.png

kep
07-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Well we went from the Genie to the Decor. (Our Genie finally broke after 3 years.) While the Genie was by no means "stink-proof", I think it did a much better job than the Decor. Our Decor just doesn't seem to do a whole lot for smell, although it is easy to use. :) I really, really wanted the Diaper Champ, but couldn't find it at any stores when I needed to replace the Genie. Maybe I'll convince dh to try it for the new babe. After all, no refills, right?

Oh, and BTW, a pail is a definate MUST for us. We live in a third story walk up apartment, and the nearest garbage can is a 3-4 minute walk up and down a huge hill. I've been making dh take out the garbage since I got pregnant.

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)
And a new baby due Christmas Eve, 2006

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34503.jpg Weaned after 3 years!

http://bd.lilypie.com/8dPKm4/.png