PDA

View Full Version : 6 month old leaking in size 3 Huggies

DrSally
07-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi,

I'm new to the boards and have gotten a lot of great info from reading old posts, esp. on carseats, breastfeeding, and solid feeding--thanks for all the great, informed advice. My 6 month old DS is 18 lbs and prob 27 inches (70th percentil for height I think). Recently he's started rolling a lot and getting all over his crib--sideways, legs on bumper, etc. I nurse him once a night, usually at 3 or 4am now. When I go to get him around 7am, he's been totally soaked up to the armpit on the right side! It happens during naps also , and today he got soaked in the same place while playing on the floor. I tried changing his diaper after the nighttime feeding, but it's not that it's too full, somehow these huggies that have done me well for leaks are leaking. Size 3 is supposed to be good until 28 lbs. I wonder if he's too tall and there isn't enough coverage in the back? Has anyone had this issue? Do you think Huggies supreme or Pampers cruisers would be better? He used to only have leaks when transitioning out of or into a new size. Is there any secret to diapering a boy I should know about (I tried to make sure his penis was pointing down). Last night I double diapered him and that helped, but there's got to be a better solution. I can't keep changing his crib sheets 2X a day.

Thanks in advance, Sally

Radosti
07-13-2006, 01:10 PM
We've been using the Size 4 Huggies Overnights for a long time now for overnights. During the day, DS is still in Size 3's. I'd suggest definitely going up one size for nighttime. The Overnights are wonderful for that.

We did that around 5 months when we were having the same issue as you are having right now.

DrSally
07-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks a lot. I got that advice also before I knew to post the ? to this board. It seems strange to size up when he's on the low end of the range, but it seems to work for people. I've read elsewhere that the overnights are avail. on amazon.com, so I'm ordering them today! Hopefully I can still use the size 3's I still have for daytime.

Sally

Radosti
07-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh yeah, the size 3's are good until he starts blowing out of them in the daytime. My DS is now 23 lbs and we've had 2 blow-outs in the last 2 weeks. So, as soon as this bag of size 3's is over we're switching to size 4's. When we finish this bag of overnights, we'll size up to size 5 accordingly. We always size up at night and it saves us a lot of problems.

Joolsplus2
07-14-2006, 08:32 AM
I know this sounds weird, but I started using a wool cloth diaper cover over my disposables at night, and it's really eliminated any seepage or leakage. The good thing about wool is that it rarely needs to be washed, just aired out during the day. I use a felted cover with snaps that I got from ebay for about 8 bucks from a WAHM, and I'm really happy with it.

But, in the olden days, before I ever considered cloth, I'd vote with the 'size up' crowd, lol..my 16 lb 5 mo is probably going to have to size up at night very soon (she's quite the night-nurser still).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

DrSally
07-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks, that sounds better than the waste of double diapering I was doing for awhile. I used the Huggies overnights, size 4 last night and no leaks from 7am to 8am, with one nursing! Size 4 is really not that much bigger tha 3, just longer in the front and back. I was worried since transitioning to size 2 and 3 caused leaks b/c the diapers were too big for him. When I'm through with my last 3's I definitely buying 4's for daytime also. I also heard some people put a Poise booster pad in the diaper. I may try that if the overnights fail me.

Sally

Radosti
07-14-2006, 11:40 AM
I've never had a single leak with an Overnight diaper. The only time I had a leak was when my mom babysat the night before and put him in his regular daytime diaper for overnight. Boy, did I have a nice surprise (he still ends up in our bed for the second half of the night, so our bed got peed on).

racerl1
07-14-2006, 02:55 PM
At 6 months, I switched DS over to size 4 Pampers Cruisers (from size 3 Pampers Cruisers), and we've had no more leaks.