PDA

View Full Version : "Soaker" vs. "Doubler"

tarynsmum
07-18-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm confused. What is the difference (sorry if this is a really stupid question).

Thanks,

MommyAllison
07-18-2006, 01:50 PM
I am also wondering this - thanks for asking!

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png (http://lilypie.com)

Alice523
07-18-2006, 02:02 PM
A wool soaker is a diaper cover made out of wool. A doubler is made out of something absorbant and put inside a fitted or prefold diaper for more absorbancy. Is that what you meant?

symesa
07-18-2006, 02:11 PM
It depends on the context. A soaker can mean 2 things:
1. The actual absorbent material of a given diaper - such as a doubler or insert.
2. A knit wool cover that is put over a diaper.

american_mama
07-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I agree and was just talking about this on the weekend. A soaker can be a knitted wool cover, usually pull on style. Or it can be the cloth inside that soaks up the pee. I especially hear it used in the latter way when discussing All In One diapers, which can have a snap in soaker or a soaker sewn into the diaper.

tarynsmum
07-18-2006, 02:28 PM
OK, so in the context of "the cloth inside that soaks up the pee", is there any difference in that and a "doubler"?

Glad to know this wasn't a dumb question :)

o_mom
07-18-2006, 03:28 PM
A soaker is usually meant to be used either alone or with a doubler. A doubler is not usually thick enough/big enough to be used alone.

Momof3Labs
07-18-2006, 03:41 PM
IOW, a doubler is usually an add-on to give extra absorbency, whereas the soaker is necessary for the diaper to hold more than a few dribbles of pee. The soakers can be sewn-in, snap-in or lay in (just to confuse things).

shburks
07-18-2006, 03:58 PM
This really confused me, too, when I first started cding! I just couldn't wrap my brain around it, so NOT a stupid question. :)

I think Lori's explanation was good! In general, think about the soaker being what "soaks" up the pee. The "soaker" in a disposable diaper would be those gel beads inside the diaper. A doubler is used to "double" the absorbancy in your diaper. So, if your cd pees a lot, you might need a doubler to "double" (or add) absorbancy; you might not *need* a doubler, but you'll always need soaker stuff!

Does that help?

Susan

tarynsmum
07-18-2006, 08:17 PM
It all makes sense to me now. I was trying to figure out whether they were the same thing, but I was thinking maybe a doubler was *double* the absorbancy of a soaker, I don't know. Lori's explanation helped a lot, I feel a lot better now!

Thanks!