PDA

View Full Version : Price of cloth diapers

american_mama
07-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Ok, I understood Marisa's suggestion on my cloth diaper brochure to be adding in the cost info for different types of cloth diapers. The downside is that it will get outdated and I may not have room on the brochure, but I'll try. Do these numbers seem right:

Prefold: $1-2 each
Fitted: $10-12 each
Cover: $8-10 each, more for wool covers
AIO: $15-$20 (really don't know)
Pocket: $13-15 each
Liners: a few cents each

Also, what would you say the cost of cloth diapers (not including washing costs) is over the diapering years? It ranges so much, it's hard to say. Maybe $200 at the barest minimum? So maybe $400 for an average? I know many, many on this board have spent more (including me) but I'm looking for an average in the greater cloth diaper world.

bcafe
07-18-2006, 06:32 PM
I would say the AIO price is correct. Of course there will be variants on each end. I will have 12 AIO's soon!

lizajane
07-18-2006, 06:49 PM
don't forget that PUL covers are much cheaper. proraps can be as cheap as $5.50 each.

MarisaSF
07-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Great job, again, Karen!
Those all sound about right. I have a variety of types and feel that each was in the $10-15 range, with wool covers $20-30(?).

For the sake of saving space on the brochure, maybe just add to "Cost" (or somewhere else) something like:
"Disposable diapers cost about $2,000 per child over the diapering years. A full stash of new cloth diapers can cost just a few hundred dollars, plus the cost of laundering. Each new cloth diaper [set? I'm not sure of the word for fitted+cover, AIO, pocket+stuffing] generally cost $10-20. Many people buy gently used cloth diapers for 30-50%(??) off new retail; likewise, you can recoup some of the cost of your cloth diapers when you are done with them."

writermama
07-19-2006, 09:36 AM
One of my favorite covers is Bummis Whisper Pant at about $5 each. Likewise, I can usually find Proraps and Litewraps for less than $7 each.

Fitteds, IME have cost from $9 to $25 depending on size, fabric, and the maker.

Rather than an average, it might be good to say something like, "With the most basic and economical system (prefolds and inexpensive covers and liners) cloth diapers can cost as little as $200 and last through several children."

And then maybe think of some wording along the lines of, "Other types of diapers increase convenience and cuteness with added cost. An investment of $400 to $500 could provide a varied and versatile diaper stash that can last through several children and/or have resell value when no longer needed. Also, the investment is spread over time -- you buy when you need new sizes so you don't have to spend the whole diapering budget at once."

If you're worried about the cost information becoming obsolete, maybe you could add it as a separate handout?

HTH,