PDA

View Full Version : Nursing baby not poopy often enough?

daisymommy
07-19-2006, 08:44 AM
I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the feeding forum (I guess I'll cross-post it there too just in case).

Hannah is exclussively breastfed, and nurses every 3 hrs. around the clock (or on demand whenever she wants, but it usually averages out to that often). She nurses until she is content and full. Has tons of wet diapers (10 maybe?).

BUT--starting at about 2 months old, she only has about 2 poopy diapers each week! They are yellow and seedy just like they should be, she doesn't seem to be in any pain, gassy, constipated, etc. Just goes very infrequently. Is this okay?

KrisM
07-19-2006, 08:53 AM
It's fine. Babies are pretty efficient with breastmilk and there isn't much extra to come out! Some babies only poop every week or so. I think she can go up to about 10 days without a worry.

writermama
07-19-2006, 09:18 AM
What Kris said. :)

We went through the same thing. I even made a panicked call to my ped who told me not to worry and to enjoy the break from changing messy diapers.

Alice523
07-19-2006, 03:26 PM
James started going about that often at Hannah's age. He's now going slightly more often (sometimes 3-4 times per week) with two solid meals, but he has gone 5-7 days without a poopy diaper.

Joolsplus2
07-19-2006, 05:48 PM
I always read this, and was excited when it finally happened with my third kiddo (the other two were poop machines, lol).

Enjoy the reprieve and don't worry :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

ms tinkerbell
07-19-2006, 09:38 PM
I've read that uping YOUR water intake can cure this. I drank like 2 liters a day when I was nursing my daughter and she pooped CONSTANTLY.