PDA

View Full Version : He peed in the potty. Now what?

jenjenfirenjen
07-24-2006, 09:00 PM
So I haven't even begun to potty train. But Luke's been having some naked time outside lately and has become much more aware of his bodily functions. He tells me sometimes that he went pee or poop and wants to be changed. S

o tonight, I was about to give him his bath but had to go pee myself and after I was done he climbed onto the potty. I helped him sit there (so he wouldn't fall in) and after getting on and off several times, he peed in the potty. He was looking down between his legs and saw himself do it and was so pleased with himself. I was so excited to.

But I have no idea where to go from here. Do I get him a potty? He seems interested in the big potty so should I just something so that he can sit on the big potty without falling in? I have no idea what to do here. I was always of the mind that you don't introduce the potty until you are ready to PT so I'm wary to start this if he's not really ready but I feel like I should take advantage of this interest (and first success.)

Joolsplus2
07-25-2006, 06:52 AM
YES! Take advantage of it...HE's ready, so it doesn't matter what your opinion is ;). A friend of mine's 15 mo pooped in the potty once and my friend wasn't ready, and she ended up having her dd not poop in the pot again till she was well over 4 years old :P.
I finally splurged on the baby bjorn potty ring for the toilet, and it makes all the others I bought look like junkola (um...the graco one that came from the graco potty, and some other colorful plastic thing...I never did try a cushie tushie, it seemed nicer)...it really fits well, there's no gaps for pee to accumulate, it's reallly molded to little bummies very well...totally worth the $30.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

KrisM
07-25-2006, 11:25 AM
I'd go with it. Even if he loses interest in a week, take advantage of what you can! DS was interested in January at 20 months. I really think that made a difference, even though he lost interest in a couple days. We're working more seriously on it now and he's been in DRY undies for 1.5 days now. We had a poop accident though :(.

DS won't sit on a potty. He might sit on the big one if he wants to try to poop. That's it. We were at a Potty Party yesterday and all the other kids were sitting on their potties. DS peed 3 times, but only in the big potty, while standing on a stool. Works for me!

Good luck.

brittone2
07-25-2006, 03:56 PM
I'd get a simple little potty and just have it there as an option.

DS was under 2 (probably about your DS's age) when I picked up our first little potty (we got a cheapo from Target for 6.99 very similar to the Bjorn little potty). He instantly was interested and was going 8x a day!

That went on for several weeks (maybe 3 weeks) and then he became very very anti-potty. I know from past threads a few other parents have gone through similar things. He wanted *nothing* to do with it. After 2 months or so, he was interested in trying to use it again, and now he's using it consistently. He'll be 2.5 in a few weeks.

He still doesn't poop often at all on it, but he's trying and now will sit on the big potty (with or without insert, although sometimes he specifically requests one or the other) or on the small potty. It depends on his mood ;) If he's naked, he's totally reliable (and has been for 3-4 months at least) to go in the potty. If we are out and about, he'll just pee in a dipe usually without mentioning having to go (although recently he has asked to go in one or two stores, which is new).

I think it is great to capitalize on his interest, follow his lead, and give it a try especially this time of the year when it is easy to have him naked, but just go into it knowing it could be a while until he is really and fully PT'd, kwim? Or, he may totally take to it and stay interested and you'll be one happy mama ;)

It is an exciting thing to see them finally express an interest!

jenjenfirenjen
07-25-2006, 08:25 PM
OK, what the heck is a potty party?

KrisM
07-25-2006, 09:19 PM
There were 6 kids, all around 2 years old there. We all brought our potties. They wore underwear or were bare on the bottom. There were potty stories read and lots of discussion on going to the potty. There was lots of applause when someone peed in a potty. There was a lot of juice served :). There were stickers and treats for successes.

Basically, the hope was that if the kids saw others peeing and pooping in the potty, they'd be more interested in doing it themselves.

Oh yeah, there was a doll that peed, too.

Here the book that was loosely used for this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743273133/sr=1-1/qid=1153880230/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-5685584-0344012?ie=UTF8&s=books

It's: Potty Train Your Child in Just One Day: Proven Secrets of the Potty Pro by Teri Crane. I didn't read it, the host of the party did. Apparently, there is a large section on throwing a party. You're really supposed to do it at home and all day long, but we did it as a group thing. I want to be a Potty Pro, too :).

If it doesn't help the potty training, it at least provides some embarrassing stories to share with the kids later in life!