PDA

View Full Version : can you use a fuzzi bunz diaper as a cover?

jniter
07-25-2006, 02:02 PM
This is going to sound a little odd, but when my mother came to visit a few weeks ago, she opened her suitcase and present about 2 dozen prefold diapers...that she had used on ME! Imagine...28-year-old cloth diapers!

Well, they are clean and I don't see why I shouldn't use them. Baby is due in Nov. so I'm just researching wraps to use.

It seems like people like prowrap, Bummi's, bumkins, and nikki's. I also read somewhere that a person used fuzzibunz as a wrap instead of a cover. any thoughts on how that would work?

An even better question: should I use the prefolds my mum gave me?

o_mom
07-25-2006, 02:28 PM
I would use the prefolds - if they don't work (too thin, not absorbant) then you will have two dozen burp cloths. :-)

You can use FB as covers, but they will be pretty expensive covers. FB run about $14-15 new and you can get Bummis SWW for $9.

You can use the prefolds to stuff the FB, but they will be bulky. Microfiber towels work better, IMO.

How big are the prefolds? If they are larger ones (around 14x19 in) they will be pretty big on a newborn. Infant size (11.5x13.5) would work right away. If you get covers, keep this in mind. (newborn/smalls for infant prefolds, small/medium for regular size ones).

jniter
07-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Hm...I must have some in-between generic size, since these are almost 3 decades old!

Mine measure about 13"x16"! Well, I guess I'll just have to experiment a little when the baby is born. :)

Momof3Labs
07-25-2006, 04:31 PM
We did this for a little while before PT'ing because I wanted DS1 to feel when the diaper was wet (fleece keeps them feeling dry). And I had a stack of large FBs that I had bought a while back and we hadn't used much, so it made sense to try using them that way rather than spending more money on covers we'd only use a short time.

They worked fine in that way, but as the PP mentioned, are a pretty pricey way to go when cheaper covers will work just as well.

charmcitymama
07-27-2006, 10:34 PM
I would try to use them as stuffers. What other kind of vintage stuff does she have?! I can't believe she save old diapers. Why didn't she just sell them on eBay?!? ;)

jniter
07-27-2006, 10:50 PM
I wore a dress of hers to prom. I looked like Mrs. Claus. ;)

eh, she is an ebay buyer, not seller!

I think I'll use them at night. Sounds like they are effective at night.

charmcitymama
07-27-2006, 10:53 PM
PLEASE post a pic! ;)

My neighbor's dd has all of her clothes from when she was a child and I think that is SO cool. I am def. saving a lot of my girls stuff, which is easy for me since I am a clutter bug.

jniter
07-28-2006, 12:09 PM
wow...I think I'd have to fly home to Wisconsin and dig in an unknown box for a pic! Then scan! ha! Too bad digital wasn't around back then.

Imagine...empire waist, tiers of white lace bib/bodice, white lace around the neck and wrists...all complementing blood red velvet. I think my date thought I was insane!

lizajane
07-28-2006, 12:46 PM
i can beat that... i have my sister and my diapers that are almost THIRY FOUR years old!!!!!!!! i used them as newborn dipes on my kids. they were too thin to use much longer. and my guys were also too big for them pretty quickly.