PDA

View Full Version : Please help a (scared) convert...

mamalia
08-04-2006, 10:41 PM
LOL, but that is how I feel right now. :) After reading Karen's post I've done lots and lots of research and even though none of our local stores had samples, I decided I'm just going to jump in and (finally) make the CD plunge. I hoped that you all might help me with some sizing questions for my DD. Here are her stats: She is a very skinny 17.5 month old, 30" (well she was two months ago), and about 18lbs (she was 17lbs 6oz two months ago). She still wears Pampers size 3 with room to grow in them. I tried to measure and this is what I THINK she is: 15 inch waist, 15 inch rise, and 10.5 inch thigh.

This is what I thought we would try.
Fuzzi Bunz in Petite Toddler
BumGenius
BSWW in Medium
One snappi (I plan to use the prefolds we had from when she was a newborn)
Loveybums in Large (HELP IS THAT THE RIGHT SIZE?!)
- one fitted and one LIO with an extra insert in the cotton fabric

I thought that would give me about five diaper changes (not including the prefold changes, which I have more than a dozen of).

I'm really concerned about the Loveybums sizing because she's kind of at the early end of the Large but I talked with Pam and this seems to be the best bet since I don't want to make a large CD investment right now. Does anyone know about Loveybums sizing?

I could totally make this post longer with questions about fabric choices and some other pockets that I am looking at, but I don't want to overwhelm you all (I feel so overwhelmed!). BUT if anyone wants to hold my hand (LOL) PLEASE let me know and I will let them loose. :)

Thanks!
Malia

Momof3Labs
08-05-2006, 08:04 AM
I think a PT FB would be too big. My DS is 17lbs and 28.5" tall, wears a size 3 Huggies Supreme, and can still wear a small FB (could probably wear a medium, too, we just haven't dug them out yet). I think the rise on a PT would be HUGE on her. The BumGenius is a good choice since the rise and waist cover a huge range of sizes. Our favorite fitted right now is Bijou Baby Gear in a medium - fits DS like a glove with room to grow. Keep in mind that sizing up means more bulk under clothes; considering how tiny your DD is, and that she is at a point where growth slows down, you might want to try a medium instead (I haven't tried Loveybums though so maybe a large is better).

Are you sure you want a LIO? I've never been a fan of snap-ins (not enough absorbency, too much poop mess on the edge of the cover), but that's just me.

Joolsplus2
08-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Your DD isn't much bigger than my 6 mo (I hope lil miss chunky butt slows down! lol).
Yeah, a medium would probably be fine for the Fuzzi Bunz...we have a heap of room to grow in ours (probably still fit smalls, but the rise was way low and I sold them/sent them to new homes) DO double-check her rise measurement, that'd be my main worry about that. The BSWW is a better cover than I thought it would be...we have 3 mediums and tons of room to grow and they are great! (Proraps tend to leave a rash on her tummy and aren't my faves in that category).

I'm a big fan of snap ins, because I'm always yanking dipes off while making a mad dash for the potty, and love changing just the wet insert when we don't make it in time (and that would be most of the time, oh well!). But I can see them not being quite enough diaper for a big girl (though, the double snap in feature of the LIO looks good, too, and if you love it as a cover, that'd be double duty usage right there!).

I can't rave enough about having a wet bag to put dirty dipes in, so I'll mention it :D. I have two and couldn't live without them, it's like having a plastic bag to shove a poopy sposie: you just shove it in, close it up, and don't worry about what's inside till you dump the whole thing in the wash... we have two from Snap EZ and they are looking like new even after 4+ months of getting washed every day or two.
>>>end of plug for wet bags..of ANY brand!<<<

Go for it! It's less of a big deal than you think it'll be :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mamalia
08-05-2006, 12:36 PM
THANK YOU both! I rechecked the strings I used on her to measure. She is definitely 15" on the rise (from her bellybutton to the back of the diaper). Her waist is actually a little bigger than 15" now.

I was worried that the rises on the FB and the Loveybum wouldn't last very long if I got Mediums. I'm hoping to use these same diapers through to Potty Training because we are starting late. Do you think that I should just get Mediums though? I guess it would defeat the point of buying diapers if they didn't fit right? :) This whole sizing thing has got me spinning in circles!

I was planning on waiting for a good deal (or swap) on a wet bag because I have an extra one of the trash cans everyone seems to reccommend already (the one with the closing lid) so I planned to use that to start with. And I have a little wet bag that came with my LE diaper bag that I was going to use for on the go changes. I've been looking on swap but so far nothing...either that or I'm late on stuff.

Thanks,
Malia

Momof3Labs
08-05-2006, 08:11 PM
I know where you are going about sizing up, etc., but you have a tiny DD and her growth will slow down in the coming months. You can size up with fitteds as long as you use good covers, and all it means is more bulk. Pockets, on the other hand, MUST fit well or you will have leaks - pee and poop. So, you might find that fitteds + covers are a better match for your goal of getting through to potty training.

mamalia
08-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks Lori, that makes sense. I found a FB on swap in Medium so crossing my fingers this will work.

Malia

SeekerMage
08-06-2006, 01:16 AM
I think that the large loveybums would work just fine. I know if it doesnt have one you can ask for a crossover snap. Lil'bit wore her large wool cover when she was in mediums of everything else and it worked just fine. Among other things you can just trifold those perfolds into the covers and they should work just fine. Welcome to the wonderful world of cds!

mamalia
08-06-2006, 02:25 AM
Kathryn, thank you I was hoping someone had tried the Loveybums.

Did you find that it was too bulky though? Lori had such great points about DD being tiny. The prefold I was using on her this afternoon was just so much for her frame. She's built like a stringbean...she definitely doesn't have her Mama's hips (or at least not yet). So now I'm worrying that the Large may be too much, especially since I want her to still fit into most of her clothes. A whole new wardrobe would NOT go over well with DH.

Malia